39 coin flip. QRU or NOT ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

39 coin flip. QRU or NOT ?

https://www.local10.com/news/nationa...-coin-flip-app

read the above story.
    then consider that back in the early 90's, when all the research on DV was going on, MDPD got involved in a program that REQUIRED officers on DV calls to contact the Dispatcher to have him/her advise A or B based on a random computer application (same as a coin flip). THIS WAS A DEPT WIDE REQUIREMENT.

anybody besides me remember this?

I didn't like it at the time because it removed any and all officer discretion from the equation (a bad idea).

anyway, they did their research and current DV laws were developed based on it I guess.

but these 2 officers in roswell GA didn't do anything different that the entire MDPD was doing on DV cases back in the early 90s. their attorney needs to get ahold of this information, right quick like.

Unregistered

coin flip

A meant arrest
    B meant do not arrest

Unregistered
    "In the early months of 1981 through mid 1982, an experiment was conducted under a grant from the National Institute of Justice; this experiment became known as: The Minneapolis Domestic Violence Experiment." Then Metro-Dade Police, of course, became a participant. I remember, I was a sergeant in Kendall District. Yes, the study's protocol called for officers investigating a domestic violence case where evidence of a battery was present, to call the Complaint Desk and have whomever turned the "wheel" that determined A for arrest and B for not. It was ludicrous and all for the study to conclude that arresting the initiating attacker served to break the Domestic Violence cycle. Often, the "spin" yielded a B and the case was such that an arrest was more than warranted. To protect the victimized partner, officers arrested for Aggravated Battery, a felony. A practice I brought over from my "Central" days. Yes, I stretched it, but the offender took the ride, the victim was spared further violence and the SAO generally reduced the charge to a misdemeanor battery. The saddest part of it all was watching the victims walk into court holding hands with her abusive partners; asking the judge for leniency. Many such victims were subsequently murdered by their abusive partners, from whom Domestic Violence victims could not or would would break free. Flawed as it was, the Minneapolis Study served to give us the statutory authority we now have; that is, where evidence of a battery is evident, we arrest the initiating attacker, and that is good. Invariably, 20% of all homicides in Miami Dade County are Domestic Violence related.

To compare what the two 2 officers in Roswell, GA. did to what we did, pursuant to the Minneapolis Study, is absurd. When conducting a preliminary investigation that reveals evidence that probable cause is present, one must arrest or in those misdemeanor cases not committed in our presence, refer the victim to the State Attorney's Officer. Tossing a coin to determine whether an arrest is made or not mocks our arrest authority.

https://www.123helpme.com/view.asp?id=77373

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    "In the early months of 1981 through mid 1982, an experiment was conducted under a grant from the National Institute of Justice; this experiment became known as: The Minneapolis Domestic Violence Experiment." Then Metro-Dade Police, of course, became a participant. I remember, I was a sergeant in Kendall District. Yes, the study's protocol called for officers investigating a domestic violence case where evidence of a battery was present, to call the Complaint Desk and have whomever turned the "wheel" that determined A for arrest and B for not. It was ludicrous and all for the study to conclude that arresting the initiating attacker served to break the Domestic Violence cycle. Often, the "spin" yielded a B and the case was such that an arrest was more than warranted. To protect the victimized partner, officers arrested for Aggravated Battery, a felony. A practice I brought over from my "Central" days. Yes, I stretched it, but the offender took the ride, the victim was spared further violence and the SAO generally reduced the charge to a misdemeanor battery. The saddest part of it all was watching the victims walk into court holding hands with [their] abusive partners; asking the judge for leniency. Many such victims were subsequently murdered by their abusive partners, from whom Domestic Violence victims could not or would would break free. Flawed as it was, the Minneapolis Study served to give us the statutory authority we now have; that is, where evidence of a battery is evident, we arrest the initiating attacker, and that is good. Invariably, 20% of all homicides in Miami Dade County are Domestic Violence related.

To compare what the two 2 officers in Roswell, GA. did to what we did, pursuant to the Minneapolis Study, is absurd. When conducting a preliminary investigation that reveals evidence that probable cause is present, one must arrest or in those misdemeanor cases not committed in our presence, refer the victim to the State Attorney's Officer. Tossing a coin to determine whether an arrest is made or not mocks our arrest authority.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx

Unregistered
    https://www.local10.com/news/nationa...-coin-flip-app

read the above story.
    then consider that back in the early 90's, when all the research on DV was going on, MDPD got involved in a program that REQUIRED officers on DV calls to contact the Dispatcher to have him/her advise A or B based on a random computer application (same as a coin flip). THIS WAS A DEPT WIDE REQUIREMENT.

anybody besides me remember this?

I didn't like it at the time because it removed any and all officer discretion from the equation (a bad idea).

anyway, they did their research and current DV laws were developed based on it I guess.

but these 2 officers in roswell GA didn't do anything different that the entire MDPD was doing on DV cases back in the early 90s. their attorney needs to get ahold of this information, right quick like.
    I remember the ‘spin the wheel’...... interesting times compared to today.

Unregistered
    "In the early months of 1981 through mid 1982, an experiment was conducted under a grant from the National Institute of Justice; this experiment became known as: The Minneapolis Domestic Violence Experiment." Then Metro-Dade Police, of course, became a participant.

👍 Thanks for sharing!

Unregistered
    I remember this program from the mid 90’s....signal was 32E (eligible for the case study), then dispatcher would advise either 32 EA (arrest) or 32EB (no arrest). I thought the whole thing was a knee jerk response to all the publicity from the O.J. Simpson case.
    I basically told subjects your fate is about to be determined by a computer-generated “coin flip”!

Unregistered
    Wow ****in old timers with nothing else better to do with their time than bore us. Jesus get. ****in life!! Who tha **** cares. I’m mean really who tha **** cares!!!

Unregistered
    Wow ****in old timers with nothing else better to do with their time than bore us. Jesus get. ****in life!! Who tha **** cares. I’m mean really who tha **** cares!!!

thank you for defining what THE PROBLEM is with the current state of MDPD
    none of you people "care" about anything (but yourselves)

at least us oldtimers cared about:
    the job (ie, commitment)
    the other cops we did the job with (which this forum definetly proves y'all do not)
    the good people in the neighborhoods we patrolled
    even the 39s, maybe we could salvage some of 'em if we treated them right.
    so, yes, I see your point
    YOU don't CARE
    that's why everything has gone to caca...……….(you get what you pay for/deserve).

Unregistered
    thank you for defining what THE PROBLEM is with the current state of MDPD
    none of you people "care" about anything (but yourselves)

at least us oldtimers cared about:
    the job (ie, commitment)
    the other cops we did the job with (which this forum definetly proves y'all do not)
    the good people in the neighborhoods we patrolled
    even the 39s, maybe we could salvage some of 'em if we treated them right.
    so, yes, I see your point
    YOU don't CARE
    that's why everything has gone to caca...……….(you get what you pay for/deserve).
    shut up man, when do i get my take home car?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast