Ask the PBA - Page 80
Page 80 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the PBA

Re: Ask the PBA

Quote Originally Posted by badrat
    Matt, I have heard recently on the news and elsewhere that a legislator or senator was talking about giving money back to the people of the state by means of lowering the drivers license and registration fee's now that the state is out of it's financial woes. Years ago somebody came up with a plan of raising those same fee's and DUI DL reinstatement fee's by $10 or $15 to go into a fund that would fund our pay raises, bring our pay up to where it needs to be and we would not have to ask the legislature for a raise again because we would be self sufficient. The legislature said they could not burden the public with that, but the following year they doubled those fee's due to the financial problems the state was in. I think that plan should be revisited, it would fix the pay issues and probably still lower the fee's some for the public. They had already been charging those higher fee's so it should'nt be that big of a deal since they want to give it back now? As far as the previous post, FHP has knocked down any type of so called perk we had (making us burn our special comp down, 40 hr vs. 80 week etc.). As far as the special comp goes we know that they will only pay us for 240 hours of it upon retirement, so if I have more in the special comp bank (hour wise) I know I'm going to loose that if I hadn't taken it. It was nice to have some extra time built up so if you wanted to take a longer vacation or just take some time off here and there to avoid burn out or stress from all the BS. They have taken everything away, no incentives.
    Badrat,

You are well informed. The FHP Chapter did propose using fee increases to enhance your pay, it did not happen and then the next year the Legislature increased those fees to provide for other purposes. Now the Legislature and Governor are proposing to reduce those fees. Interesting how politics work, isn't it?

On the idea of Special Comp, would you be in favor of a pay as you go proposal? Work a holiday and get paid out if you don't use the special comp day after a time certain, or something similar to that.

Quote Originally Posted by notaLt
    I'm not a Lieutenant but it annoys the heck out of me that an FHP Lieutenant makes what a road officer makes in any other department in this state. A topped out deputy in my county makes more than our lieutenants. Thats just crazy.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt matt
    Hi Matt, thanks for helping the troops. I know you are representing and asking for a raise for union members which is understandable, what about lieutenants with 13 years making 57,000? It will be nice to receive something, some of us still contribute to pba.
    I completely understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately, the law only allows for the PBA to propose raises for the bargaining unit members. However, if the Legislature's raise proposal includes other non-bargaining unit members, we will not turn it down.

Right now my top concern is getting a solid raise in the final budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Are we going to get any type of raise or what? You guys also need to ask to better our benefits. Increase our annual leave, sick time, go back to the 40 hour work week......etc. you guys need to fight for stuff like that also.
    We are working to get you a raise.

Matt, thanks for answering my last post. About the use of those funds and them trying to give it back. Could PBA or all of us push that they have those funds now and the tax payers are already paying them and they are wanting to give it back........ "Well then they cant say they dont have the money anymore, its right there" and we proposed it before they used it. Could this be used as a push in our direction? I'm sure there should be enough to get the pay where it should be, fund a step plan and still give some back to the taxpayers. As far as the special comp "pay as you go". That might be alright, but personally I liked having the extra time available to use when I would like to. Most of us work our shifts, offduty and side jobs elsewhere and may do it for long stretches without any time off between all of them or being able to spend time with family. So when the opportunity to take some time comes around it's nice to have it there. There again knowing that I'm not going to get paid out for no more than 240 hrs worth anyway upon seperation from the department. Thanks for all your hard work, would really like to know your (or PBA's) concensus of the funding they want to give back.

Matt,

I was just reading some of the "benefits" FHP advertises on the recruitment page. The highlight of the benefits package is competitive pay (hahaha) and no state income tax. I started researching benefits that other states give to their troopers and I was amazed at how much we DON'T get. Every state agency I looked at had a payscale WAY better than ours. Here is a short list of some of the benefits I saw on various state law enforcement agencies websites:

Step Plan
    PAID holidays (not comp time)
    Paid STATE holidays in addition to federal holidays
    Uniforms cleaned by the state but uniform allowance still given
    Shift Differentials
    Weekend differentials
    Physical fitness bonus
    Health insurance for retirees stays the same price
    Cell phone allowance
    Car wash allowance
    Bilingual pay
    Canine pay
    Motorcycle officer pay
    Senior Officer pay
    DRE pay
    Reconstructionist pay
    Annual lumpsum longevity pay
    Daily per diem pay
    New cars issued every 49,900 miles
    increased number of personal leave days in addition to increased annual leave.
    40 hour payment once a year for the time an officer spends getting ready for work.
    Actual step plans that top out at nearly double (or in many cases much higher) than what a Florida Trooper could ever hope to make. Heck, most states top out at what our Lieutenants make or in some cases Majors)

The bottom line is FHP Troopers get the worst pay AND the least benefits. It's outrageous that we are at the bottom of the barrel after all of these years. Florida is a busy, violent state and not a single person with any pull cares one iota. But thankfully I don't have to pay state income tax......Lucky me.

Remember when they said:

"We are temporarily giving up our steps for a year or two.We will have them back in no time"?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Saddam
    Remember when they said:

"We are temporarily giving up our steps for a year or two.We will have them back in no time"?
    Thats like when they said, "We need to raise the starting pay to get qualified people too apply", but its only going to give those with 5yrs and less a raise...... But dont worry, we'll take care of the rest of you NEXT year. What was that, 12 years ago? It's still on the truck....... :shock:

Yeah and like when you got promoted and got a "two step" raise for corporal and a "three step" raise for sergeant and they changed it to 10% and 15% so then the rookies in your position were making more than you and still are....Like that? This is one assbackwards department.

Quote Originally Posted by badrat
    Matt, I have heard recently on the news and elsewhere that a legislator or senator was talking about giving money back to the people of the state by means of lowering the drivers license and registration fee's now that the state is out of it's financial woes. Years ago somebody came up with a plan of raising those same fee's and DUI DL reinstatement fee's by $10 or $15 to go into a fund that would fund our pay raises, bring our pay up to where it needs to be and we would not have to ask the legislature for a raise again because we would be self sufficient. The legislature said they could not burden the public with that, but the following year they doubled those fee's due to the financial problems the state was in. I think that plan should be revisited, it would fix the pay issues and probably still lower the fee's some for the public. They had already been charging those higher fee's so it should'nt be that big of a deal since they want to give it back now? As far as the previous post, FHP has knocked down any type of so called perk we had (making us burn our special comp down, 40 hr vs. 80 week etc.). As far as the special comp goes we know that they will only pay us for 240 hours of it upon retirement, so if I have more in the special comp bank (hour wise) I know I'm going to loose that if I hadn't taken it. It was nice to have some extra time built up so if you wanted to take a longer vacation or just take some time off here and there to avoid burn out or stress from all the BS. They have taken everything away, no incentives.
    http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/...tomypbp_launch

The state will not giveus a raise using vehicle or D.L. fees.

Page 80 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast