Escambia SO vs Pensacola PD vs Santa Rosa SO

Escambia SO vs Pensacola PD vs Santa Rosa SO

I am currently finishing my Law Enforcement Training at George Stone and I will finish my Bachelor's Degree in Police Science in May and I was debating on which of the three agencies would offer the best pay, benefits, degree incentive etc. I have looked on the websites for all three agencies and even talked on the phone with HR for the different agencies. I was hoping someone who has worked in more than one of these agencies could give me some advice. I have already ruled out FHP after reading posts on their forum. They seem to be having way too many problems. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Escambia SO vs Pensacola PD vs Santa Rosa SO

Escambia SO would be your best choice. We have more places for you to work, transfer to, better equipment, pay and it will make you a more experienced officer than the other choices around here.

Law enforcement is a very awarding career. FHP is having problems due to changing state guidelines and attempts to merge the several agencies under the state umbrella. The first time time this happened was in 1969. There was an attempt to include ALL
    state police agencies into the Florida State Police. This was fought by the Florida Sheriffs Bureau, as well as the upper echilon of some of the effected state agencies who could not surrender their leadership to a single director. This led to led to the founding of the Department of Criminal Law Enforcement, later titled Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE.) Broaden your horizon...submit your application, and your resume to other state(s), and federal agencies, and I hope you will enjoy a long enjoyable career. Be safe.

The largest agency, in this case ECSO, typically has the best opportunities to do more than just patrol. All pay comparably. Santa Rosa has very little crime compared to ECSO, so if you want to stay busy, SRSO is not the way to go. The city is good, but them being on their own retirement is a major downside. If you come to ECSO and do a few years, then go someplace else on the state retirement system, you don't lose anything.

For all the bashing people do on this board, the truth is, if you just keep your head down and do your job, people arent going to mess with you. I recommend ECSO.

I appreciate the input. The two i was looking at most seriously were Pensacola PD and Escambia SO. I really want to do SWAT or be a narcotics/vice detective after i have a few years on the streets and have my degree in hand. I know that I will be working crazy shifts for the first few years but after I have my degree in hand and a few years of experience under my belt is there a pretty good chance I would be able to get a position with more normal hours?

Most units have consistant hours, patrol is 4 ten hour days. But narcotics and SWAT of course do not. While keeping your head down wil keep you out of trouble they forgot to mention that you also have to keep your opinions to yourself and be a minion. If you can do that you can go far.

Escambia sucks. Especially the administration. Santa Rosa is growing, much cleaner and Hall is a better sheriff to work for.

Quote Originally Posted by justsayin
    Escambia sucks. Especially the administration. Santa Rosa is growing, much cleaner and Hall is a better sheriff to work for.
    Escambia only sucks a little, and it's getting better...for instance, once we get rid of justsayin it will be a lot better....takes a while to weed out all of the trash.