"Your work appears to be on the cusp of a huge victory."

"Your work appears to be on the cusp of a huge victory."

Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:02 AM
    Subject: Paycheck protection update; Dear President Schaitberger,

Gary

I am so pleased and proud of the effort that you are leading with our affiliate leaders and members. Your work appears to be on the cusp of a huge victory. I am also pleased to see that all of Labor in Florida has been working so well together on these battles. Keep up the great work and keep me informed on additional developments.

Harold A. Schaitberger

General President

International Association of Fire Fighters

RESPONSE:

Dear President Schaitberger,

First, let me thank-you for the continuing support of our efforts here in Florida. We are holding our own in the final days of the session on the payroll protection bill. Our coalition of Democrats and Republicans have withstood tremendous pressure from the Senate leadership, governor and Republican Party of Florida. As of today we still have the votes to kill the bill. It was placed on Special Order calendar as the first item to be considered today but has not been called yet. We have a great team from all public sector unions monitoring every one of the 22 Senators, who they are talking to on the floor, who visits their offices etc. Governor Scott in a last ditch effort today during the lunch break visited the Republican Senators on this issue to try and change their vote, thus far he has failed. We are talking to each of them following the Governors visits and shoring up the support. It appears that the heavy handed threats are backfiring and our coalition is even more entrenched. We have the galleries in the Senate well manned with firefighters watching the proceedings as a constant reminder to our Senate supporters (they also report their movements and meetings on the floor)

We have had some great publicity on our efforts to withdraw our union, members and pension funds from the 5 banks we have identified as Board members of the Florida Chamber. It has had statewide media coverage and we are continuing press events on this. The Orlando Local spearheaded this and other IAFF affiliates and other Unions are joining in.

The pension bills are still moving forward, we have amended them many times and they are much less draconian than their original versions. The statewide retirement system participants will most likely begin paying a 3% contribution, however none of the money is going to the pension fund as the employers contribution is being reduced in a like amount for a net zero to the fund, which is approximately 90% funded. The billion dollars or so in employee contributions will be used to make up a shortage in the state revenues and other budget needs.

The FPF, FL AFLCIO and Florida FOP have been working in complete harmony and the unified front appears to have had the desired affects. I'll keep you posted on our efforts through next Friday. Please extend our deepest gratitude to all of your staff who have helped us in this fight thus far.

PS: Great job on the ED show last night!

Fraternally,

Gary Rainey, President
    Florida Professional Firefighters

FD Bro'

Re: "Your work appears to be on the cusp of a huge victory."

You members keep drinking the union Kool-Aid; you'll find yourself in the same position as union members in Illinois, N.J., Michigan, and CA.: OUT OF A JOB.! Not too smart guys. This is going to come back by killing the golden goose. :idea: :idea: