Sheriff to Clearwater - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: Sheriff to Clearwater

Quote Originally Posted by toallthepostersthatthoughtitwouldhappen
    Clearwater council leaning against replacing police with deputies

CLEARWATER — City Council members indicated Monday that they are not likely to replace the Clearwater Police Department with the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office.

They'll take up the issue at a public meeting Thursday night at Clearwater's City Hall. But council members appear to be leaning against making this switch, even if it saves the city money. They made that clear during a work session Monday after they listened to presentations from Clearwater's police chief and Pinellas County's sheriff.

"I have always leaned toward keeping the Clearwater Police Department," said Mayor Frank Hibbard. "I think that is an important factor in our city."

Sheriff Jim Coats has given Clearwater a proposal estimating that he could save the city $10.8 million a year if it disbands its Police Department and contracts with the Sheriff's Office instead.

Coats would keep the same number of patrol officers and detectives working in Clearwater, but he would eliminate some police supervisors and other staffers whose jobs he says are duplicated at the Sheriff's Office.

Police Chief Tony Holloway told the council that switching to the Sheriff's Office would only save Clearwater $2.5 million in the first year, mainly because it would cost $6 million to shut down the Police Department and pay out money for retirements, layoffs, debt on police cars and leases on police computers.

[Last modified: May 17, 2010 06:05 PM]

Thank you Jesus!!!! The Council members have common sense and listened to the citizens.
    To be honest with you guys, Im glad ..... I don't wanna see anyone worry about their careers and getting uprooted... now its behind us lets get back to being cops and supporting each other,,,,

Signed Deputy

Re: Sheriff to Clearwater agreed

::quote:: To be honest with you guys, Im glad ..... I don't wanna see anyone worry about their careers and getting uprooted... now its behind us lets get back to being cops and supporting each other,,,,::end quote::

Yes, please. We have LEO friends in just about every agency in Pinellas County, shoot, Hillsborough and Pasco, too.

It's one family. Because you know when the poop hits the fan, its the world against us. Or, when God forbid, one of ours is lost, well... let's get to what's truly important.

Piggy backing on the money issue. I know for us, if we lost $25,000 a year (if dh's pay went to entry level at the SO), on our ONE income, we'd be in a world of hurt. Regardless, its time to tighten the belt, cut coupons, cut back on eating out, and get rid of STUFF. kwim? This economy is no where near where it should be and things could get a lot worse.

Praying for ALL the LEO families locally and everywhere...

justawife

Wishing everyone luck in clearwater, I hope everything goes your way!
    From Pasco detention

Keep counting your chickens there, smartmouth. Just go ahead and start badmouthing the Sheriff. Thanks for making life hard on ALL of us to satisfy your own demented ego.

Quote Originally Posted by bock bock goose
    Keep counting your chickens there, smartmouth. Just go ahead and start badmouthing the Sheriff. Thanks for making life hard on ALL of us to satisfy your own demented ego.
    what are you talking about? no one even mentioned him

We are all facing difficult times both Green and Blue.

FOX NEWS Tampa Bay

CLEARWATER - The final decision comes Thursday, but after a workshop Monday morning, it appeared Clearwater's city council is not ready to disband its police department.

"I have always leaned toward keeping CPD," said Mayor Frank Hibbard. "I think that that is an important factor in our city."

At least two of four other council members also indicated the same position. The matter will be settled with a vote, expected at Thursday's regular city council meeting.

The tentative support came after council members questioned Pinellas Sheriff Jim Coats. The Sheriff's office said it could provide the same level of service for $10.8 million less than the city now spends.

Much of the savings would come by combining communications centers, eliminating Clearwater's command staff, and rehiring laid off officers as deputies at lower salaries.

Clearwater leaders caution the city still faces a possible $9 million budget shortfall next year and the police budget will not be spared.

"There is going to be some impact on the ways that we do business," city manager Bill Horne predicted. "If we can live with that then we can live with it. But at least we know going into it that that it won't necessarily be the same way we're doing business right now."

Police Chief Anthony Holloway said he would have some measure of possible staff reductions and the effect on response times by Thursday.

Thank you Citizens for your support

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456