Cop Tazes Speeder for 5 Over
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Re: Cop Tazes Speeder for 5 Over

I'm thinking "Cop Tazes Speeder for 5 Over" is an inaccurate statement. It should be "Cop Tazes Person for thinking it's okay to put their hands on cop while he has traffic zipping by behind him while person is not listening to the instructions given"

At 41 seconds into the video look at the officer's position and look at what the driver does. You put your hands on a Law Enforcement Officer and all bets are off.

The dirtbag's lucky there are tasers now. When I worked the road, he'd have caught my Kel-Light across his head!

Quote Originally Posted by veteranrookie
    I'm thinking "Cop Tazes Speeder for 5 Over" is an inaccurate statement. It should be "Cop Tazes Person for thinking it's okay to put their hands on cop while he has traffic zipping by behind him while person is not listening to the instructions given"

At 41 seconds into the video look at the officer's position and look at what the driver does. You put your hands on a Law Enforcement Officer and all bets are off.
    I love this tough talk that is whiney at the same time...amazing.
    Part of your job is to have physical altercations. You had to know that going in. Now, if someone injures an officer then I can understand some sort of physical response. But just touching you and not really hurting you?????? Come on, this isnt recess where we can run to the teacher because someone pulled your hair.
    There is a certain amount of violence people have to expect when you take on that job. Geez!

You don't think this cop was a little eager to use his taser. Come on, he pulled this poor driver over for doing 5 over the limit then does not allow the driver to fully understand what is going on. As a driver, I would be surprised to be pulled over only going 5 over the limit. The cop seems to be too aggressive for such a minor violation. Maybe the cop is scared or something?

The cop over-reacted and I would be concerened as his supervisor.

Well Joe, why don't you go drive around at 5 over and see if you get pulled. If you do, please post a link to the video!

It would be great if Law Enforcement Agencies across the country could afford to hire Officers and Deputies who know everything, but I don’t think any exist. For now LEO’s are left with working with their instincts and the constant knowledge that this profession is getting increasingly more violent every day. No one can possibly know the intentions of someone who touches an LEO? Therefore, it’s not unreasonable to expect the worst, especially with a non-compliant individual. This person should be glad for the TAZAR; the LEO was forced to take action, but at least had the option of the TAZAR. Not every LEO carries one of these devices; usually this would have been a very hard ride to the concrete or a strike or two from an expandable baton.

I’ve seen this type of stop so many times. This is the same type of diversion tactic that is used by motorists carrying Narcotics. Just take a moment to recall the Constable in Texas who was killed in a similar situation. And what about the passenger? This could have been a typical set up to distract the Officer while the passenger retrieves a weapon and kills the Officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Citizen
    You don't think this cop was a little eager to use his taser. Come on, he pulled this poor driver over for doing 5 over the limit then does not allow the driver to fully understand what is going on. As a driver, I would be surprised to be pulled over only going 5 over the limit. The cop seems to be too aggressive for such a minor violation. Maybe the cop is scared or something?

The cop over-reacted and I would be concerened as his supervisor.
    The key word there Joe is "Citizen"....You've never been in that situation, you haven't a clue as to what can happen or how quickly it escalates. I have on several occasions during my 29 yr career as an LEO and believe me if you loose control of the scene, you're in real trouble. The guys was a jerk not complying with the Officer's orders and deserved exactly what he got. You don't put your hands on a Law Enforcement Officer...Period, no execptions, no choice, no time, under any circumstances. The public used to know that. The last time I looked, the sign didn't say "55 mph +" it says 55!

REMOVED

Quote Originally Posted by Aware Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by veteranrookie

I love this tough talk that is whiney at the same time...amazing.
    Part of your job is to have physical altercations. You had to know that going in. Now, if someone injures an officer then I can understand some sort of physical response. But just touching you and not really hurting you?????? Come on, this isnt recess where we can run to the teacher because someone pulled your hair.
    There is a certain amount of violence people have to expect when you take on that job. Geez!
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and take it easy on you because it's obvious you don't work in this profession. Yes, I absolutely understood the hazards of the job coming into it. There's not a day that goes by when I suit up for work that the thought of fighting for my life does not cross my mind. It's a mental preparation that every LEO (and CO, for that matter) does and if you don't then that's scary. It's part of our daily routine.

The statement "if someone injures an officer then I can understand some sort of physical response" is the dead giveaway that this is not your line of work. LEO's employ a "use of force" system that works on a continuum, meaning it's a progression of the elements of force applied, as a response, to a level of resistance that the officer is confronted with. The purpose behind this system is to prevent a response that is not correct. If we always waited for someone to injure us, as you suggest in your statement, then we might not be able to respond to a level of resistance appropriately. A properly implemented "use of force" system prevents unnecessary injury to all parties involved. The example to this is a post that has already been made in this thread. Had the tazer not been used then physical force was the other option and that usually ends badly. Now, to suggest that touching someone and not really hurting them by touching them should only be responded to for what it is would be a gross miscalculation on the part of a LEO. To give you an idea, a touch, on the continuum I'm accustomed to, is halfway up the chart toward deadly force. Touching someone is a serious matter. A touch is an overt act and when it's unwanted it's a crime, in the state of Florida.

Oh, and the "this isn't recess where we can run to the teacher...." comment is right on. You're right, we're not afforded the ability to say "ok, time out!" 9 times out of 10 our backup is minutes away and when the fight is on it's only over when we can successfully eliminate the threat, by ourselves. This brings me to another point; for you to sit back and armchair quarterback the incident as if you know what is and isn't appropriate shows you probably don't understand how a decision made as a reaction is not a decision that you can apply hindsight to. It's not going to be a situation where you have all the time in the world to make a well informed and planned decision about what the next step should be. You revert back to training and you react to enhance your chances of survival, period.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast