Cost cutting survey - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Cost cutting survey

It seems like we're putting the horse in front of the cart here.

Does anyone recall Administration telling us, before posting this survey, how much money we need to cut or save? And, what percentage has the county asked us to cut from our budget? Do we know what the county is planning to cut to save money? We might want to know the answers to these questions before we blindly suggest cuts to our agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse in front of the cart
    It seems like we're putting the horse in front of the cart here.

Does anyone recall Administration telling us, before posting this survey, how much money we need to cut or save? And, what percentage has the county asked us to cut from our budget? Do we know what the county is planning to cut to save money? We might want to know the answers to these questions before we blindly suggest cuts to our agency.
    There's a committee in place that has been tasked with bringing together cost cutting solutions. $40 Million is the target number. It's gonna get ugly boys and girls.

We could start with the Double-Dippers. These are the people who retire, stay away for 30 days or a year and then come back and take a full time job while still receiving retirement pay. This is one of the biggest scams in Florida. We are loaded with these turds. Pulling down two paychecks and doing nothing. Once you retire, stay away. If you still have the itch, join the reserves.
    What about all the CPL’s in Community Policing? This is a clear case of theft of services. Only a small portion of all CPL’s actually train new Deputies, the rest are sucking up 10% for doing nothing. These are already on the Sheriff’s Hit List for cost cutting and it’s high time.

How about the Yo Bro Auto Theft/Parks Deputy who screwed me on a mortgage now comes back as a Reserve Deputy and is driving and unmarked car. Hey Bro where is your Mercedes and all your millions, did it get repossessed? You can only hope that what goes around comes around. Any way why are reserves issued cars and allowed to drive them when ever they want. This is a total waste of money. How many other reserves have take home issued cars. Another cost cutting item the citizens on patrol. The cost of the car plus fuel plus the cost to repair the damage every day when they crash. Is there one example that a citizen on patrol has actually called in a legit crime in progress, if there is I have never heard about it. And then the administration that supervises them to go back to doing police work too. It is time that we get back to law enforcement and cut the programs that dont deal with the actual enforcement of the law. Times have changes and the hug a thug programs and extras need to go.

If you fell that you cannot do the survey online then take the time to write out your suggestion and send them to someone on the cost cutting committee. There have been some great ideas provided from the survey and believe it or not they are anonymous.

Even taking the stripes off of your pants can save the department money.

Maybe you younger guys should weigh in with your ideas as you have the most to lose if items like longevity were cut or eliminated as they were for the county employees. Why run scared if you have an idea send it in.

Wow...I guess we are going back to "just the facts ma'am" police work... really worked back then didn't it?

If the same logic (or lack of) is applied, I guess we should disband VCD because baby.... MURDER IS OFF THE CHARTS THIS YEAR! Lets put all of those **** Tracys back on the road handling calls instead of eating up all of that unlimited OT they get..

Or lets do a study on how many call outs the K9 unit goes on and never even smells the bad guy let alone find them. Back to the road gents, and give back all of that month "Doggie Maintenance" money they each get! What is that like $700 a month now?

Fellow Gendarmes, we are a political organization, you "cops" who don't understand this need to look at your badge and read the "Office" part. Everything listed above are legitimate cuts, but at what political costs?

The Sheriff has to weigh this because he is a political animal and needs to address the political concerns of the voters of PBC. They wanted the Volunteers, Reserves and all that Community Involvement stuff, he wants the election donations, votes and support.....

Get it? Class dismissed.

I would recommend they do away with the COP program. They have purchased 25 to 30 new cars in the last 3 years. Plus the up keep of these vehicles....tires, batteries, fuel, tune ups etc. also added are uniforms and luncheons, which I hear are every month. Not to mention the two civilians that work in the Volunteer program. I hear they pull in around $55k each. waste waste waste

Some of you guys have really hit it on the head. Double Dippers, including the Mighty MG need to go. All the special units that we all know are a joke must go. Isn't it a real shame that we all actually know the huge waste that is going on-like Citizens on Patrol (zzzzzzz) and their new cars and barely see over the dash-board. The Reserves-give me a break. This is a real dangerous group and huge liability. They actually take home cars and drive them to their private jobs. Etc. Etc. These are not only cost cutting ideas. These are things that the AG and others are about to undress when the Super Sheriff is called to task for the jobs he has provided to those who did the major fund raising for him. The poster is so right when he points out the word "office" on the badge. This is unfortunate because this Agency has wonderful potential but is handcuffed to politics and huge waste. Wow, cut the BS and use the money to get to work and the sky is the limit. We could actually allow our citizens to sleep at night.

Sheriff Bradshaw has taken care of us all from day one and even though times are hard right now he'll still have our backs.

I like the Sheriff, he has treated all of us very well and I am very proud to work for this agency. But, when times get tough, we need to tighten the belt a little and cut out the luxuries. It’s really no different that our personal lives. How many of us have put off purchasing that new car? How many of us have decided that the new phone we were hoping to purchase isn’t that necessary anymore? Even in our personal lives, we have all tightened our belts and cut back because the disposable income is gone.

I believe that some of the ideas expressed on this board can genuinely cut costs without hurting services. I personally did post some of my ideas on the APPS Page. I did it respectfully so I don’t believe I’ll feel any repercussions, and if I do, so be it. I’ll deal with like I deal with everything else; respectfully but head on!

I can’t see the Sheriff cutting back on the meat-n-potatoes of the agency. Road Patrol and investigators are the backbone of the agency. Especially Road Patrol, these are the men and woman who answer every call for service, break up the fights, protect children and keep citizens safe just by the nature of their presence. There is no statistic or column on a monthly to respectfully calculate the value of a Green-n-White. Deputy presence and patrol techniques are so valuable but the one thing that can’t be calculated on a graph. How do you identify the countless crimes that were diverted because of Deputy Presence? You can’t, I guess this is always the case with the most valuable things in our lives. Like an involved parent or a dedicated spouse, there may not be a chart or stat, but you know in your heart the value these things hold.

Make no mistake, I don’t work the Road, but I will never stop appreciating the excellent job Road Patrol performs everyday. If anyone cares to question me, just go to ODMP, the vast majority of our Brothers & Sisters who lose their lives, are those in uniform.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast