PBA endorsement of Darryl Rouson

PBA endorsement of Darryl Rouson

I read today in the state PBA newsletter, Roll Call that the state PBA has given their endorsement to Darryl Rouson.

I was wondering what some of the Officers of this department think of this?

Re: PBA endorsement of Darryl Rouson

The PBA is all about politics. That's what most of these posts have been about lately. They don't care about the officers per se. They just want to look good in the political arena.

Well just one more reson for me to have no faith in the Union anymore. Did the PBA ask the reps from Rouson's district what they think of him? I don't trust him one bit and I certainly don't back him. The only thing I do agree with his reaction to the Letter clearing Nemeth. He pointed the finger at what was really important and that is why the kid had a gun in the first place. But like the last post said the PBA is all about politics these days not the Officers its supposed to be supporting.

Rouson?? The guy allegedly involved in drug trafficking? The guy SPPD doesn't have the guts to investigate. Figures.

And before you can say well Rouson was the better candidate over McKenzie, that just says loads about this city. The PBS has followed SPPD into the sewer.

Didn't the PBA endorse Rick Baker after he gave hundreds of thousands of our tax money to his buddy Omali?

Published February 28, 2006

ST. PETERSBURG - Darryl Rouson's discourtesy complaint against a police officer who pulled him over last year has been thrown out after an internal affairs investigation.

Rouson, former head of the St. Petersburg chapter of the NAACP, filed a complaint against Officer James Knight, the same officer who killed a black St. Petersburg teen nine years earlier.

Knight pulled Rouson over on Oct. 24 for expired plates on a 2001 Ford Excursion owned by Rouson's wife.

Rouson told police that Knight was rude and insulting during the stop, and his tone of voice was "unprofessional, inciteful and threatening."

Rouson also told an investigator that Knight approached the car and said, "Give me your driver's license or I'll arrest you for obstructing."

Shortly after that, according to Rouson's statement, Knight recognized who Rouson was.

Knight provided a different version of what happened.

He said he approached the driver's door and asked for Rouson's license and registration.

Rouson quickly pointed out that he knew who Knight was, he said.

Rouson made several derogatory remarks, Knight said.

When informed the vehicle's tags were expired, Rouson jumped out of the car to see for himself. Upon confirmation, he walked back to the car, still holding his license and registration.

At that point, Knight said, he told Rouson to give him the information or he would be arrested for obstruction.

Rouson's run-in with Knight came on the ninth anniversary of the day Knight shot and killed 18-year-old TyRon Lewis of St. Petersburg, sparking several days of civil unrest in the city.

The investigation found that Knight used proper and professional tone, citing that "tone of voice and facial expressions are a matter of perception." It was also noted that Rouson seemed to hold resentment toward Knight.

Rouson said he wasn't surprised by the ruling.

"In subjective situations, it is not unusual for that finding," said Rouson, on vacation in London. "What is very telling about the entire episode was its timing. It's just my belief. ... He's a terrible officer who is going to cost the city at some point again."

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/02/28/So...inst_off.shtml