Don't go away angry, just go away, never look back!

Don't go away angry, just go away, never look back!

If any of you were on the fence about leaving this place, here is your answer. Go now! You are not getting any raises until at least 2010.

Dade schools may put off raises

In its latest effort to pare down a projected $284 million budget deficit next year, the Miami-Dade School Board took aim at raises for employees.

Posted on Thu, Jun. 26, 2008

BY KATHLEEN McGRORY
    kmcgrory@MiamiHerald.com

The Miami-Dade School Board on Wednesday took the first procedural step toward postponing contractual raises due to teachers and other employees next year -- a move that would save the district up to $72 million.

By a tense 5-4 vote, the board declared that the state has not provided adequate funding for next year, which will give Superintendent Rudy Crew additional leverage entering negotiations with the unions over modifying the scheduled raises.

That vote also empowered the district to begin negotiating next year's health insurance arrangements with plan providers. Although details regarding possible changes were not presented, district officials said the measure could save the district up to $10 million.

Board member Evelyn Greer was among those who favored the proposal, calling it financially responsible.

''As far as I'm concerned, we have a statutory obligation to balance the budget so the state doesn't take us over,'' Greer said.

Others disagreed.

''Now, the teachers won't get their raises and they won't get their insurance,'' said board member Ana Rivas Logan. ``That amounts to a pay cut.''

A third provision of the proposal passed Wednesday would cut 105 teachers of gifted students for a savings of $7.3 million.

Voting for the measure were Greer, board Chairman Agustín Barrera, and members Martin Karp, Solomon Stinson and Wilbert ''Tee'' Holloway.

Karp said he supported financial prudence, but that he would like Crew to grant partial raises to teachers.

''Certainly, I believe in giving raises,'' he said. ``I don't believe we have the resources to give the whole raise.''

Others said the board should have had the opportunity to vote on each of the proposed measures separately.

''This is an injustice,'' said board Vice Chairwoman Perla Tabares Hantman. ``It's totally unfair.''

For months, the School Board has been laboring to cut $284 million from next year's budget. So far, it has made reductions totaling about half that amount.

Crew said he hoped negotiations would lead to a satisfactory compromise.

''I believe very strongly that people of good intention and goodwill will find some solution,'' Crew said.

In other business, the board:

• Approved a plan to charge schools more for transportation to field trips. The action will decrease transportation costs by $1.1 million.

• Approved a proposal to reorganize the district's department of data analysis. The measure, which will result in the elimination of nine administrative positions, will save $1.2 million.

got to go

The only people that have gotten a raise since Chief Gerald has been here are Commanders and above. No one else has. I have been here almost 5 years and I am still making my starting salary. I got to get the **** out of here. I dont want to but I need to make a living. Its sad but I can make more as a starting Wackenhut Metrorail security guard than I am making here after 5 years. Think about that.