I would like to be a Police Officer or Sheriff. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by White Devil
    One last point, your original post did not identify you by race. How did I know you were African American?

Get serious! How many white males have you met named Tyrell? You assumed!!!

But, more on the point. If we insist on hiring all college graduates to be LEOs then the pool of available black males is going to be very small. The reason is that a black male with a college degree can make a LOT MORE MONEY in some other profession than he will as a LEO.

And the fact is that we NEED black males (and females of all races) in law enforcement. There are some jobs, notably some undercover assignments where being black or Hispanic, or female is a necessary element of the job.

With a very small pool of qualified minority applicants how do we attract, hire and retain good ones? Is the college graduate requirement really unrealistic? Do we set a lower standard for minorities? What do we do about the federal requirements that we have a certain percentage of minorities employed? (It isn't called "quotas;" it's called "goals.")

If you were in charge how would you deal with these questions?

[quote=If you were in charge]
    Quote Originally Posted by "White Devil":3oyq0x9j
    One last point, your original post did not identify you by race. How did I know you were African American?

But, more on the point. If we insist on hiring all college graduates to be LEOs then the pool of available black males is going to be very small. The reason is that a black male with a college degree can make a LOT MORE MONEY in some other profession than he will as a LEO.

And the fact is that we NEED black males (and females of all races) in law enforcement. There are some jobs, notably some undercover assignments where being black or Hispanic, or female is a necessary element of the job.

With a very small pool of qualified minority applicants how do we attract, hire and retain good ones? Is the college graduate requirement really unrealistic? Do we set a lower standard for minorities? What do we do about the federal requirements that we have a certain percentage of minorities employed? (It isn't called "quotas;" it's called "goals.")

If you were in charge how would you deal with these questions?[/quote:3oyq0x9j]

No, it's called quotas. If calling them "goals" makes you feel better, have at it. You made the statement that black applicants with degrees could make more money in the private sector than working law enforcement. Could a white applicant with a degree also make more money in the private sector ? If not, why not ? Oh, I forgot, there's that whole affirmative action thing kickin' in again. You see, here's the deal, so long as there are people like you who feel some sense of entitlement, or who believe that standards should be lowered to attract a particular race or gender, this country will never be able to advance. Why you ask ? Because affirmative action is nothing more than reverse discrimination. You know it, I know it, and it is what it is. No law enforcement agency is required or mandated to hire a certain percentage of blacks, hispanics or females. The feds attempt to force agencies to comply with affirmative action hiring practices by withholding federal grants if they don't. Some agencies don't comply. Those agencies are called "Equal Opportunity Employers". They still hire minorities, but have the same hiring standards for everyone. Just curious, your race is.....?

[quote=White Devil][quote="If you were in charge":fyihzhn6]
    Quote Originally Posted by "White Devil":fyihzhn6

If you were in charge how would you deal with these questions?[/quote:fyihzhn6]

No, it's called quotas. If calling them "goals" makes you feel better, have at it. You made the statement that black applicants with degrees could make more money in the private sector than working law enforcement. Could a white applicant with a degree also make more money in the private sector ? If not, why not ? Oh, I forgot, there's that whole affirmative action thing kickin' in again. You see, here's the deal, so long as there are people like you who feel some sense of entitlement, or who believe that standards should be lowered to attract a particular race or gender, this country will never be able to advance. Why you ask ? Because affirmative action is nothing more than reverse discrimination. You know it, I know it, and it is what it is. No law enforcement agency is required or mandated to hire a certain percentage of blacks, hispanics or females. The feds attempt to force agencies to comply with affirmative action hiring practices by withholding federal grants if they don't. Some agencies don't comply. Those agencies are called "Equal Opportunity Employers". They still hire minorities, but have the same hiring standards for everyone. Just curious, your race is.....?[/quote:fyihzhn6]

Boy, that LBJ was such a great President. Sheesh!!!

[quote=White Devil][quote="If you were in charge":2iy0tb4n]
    Quote Originally Posted by "White Devil":2iy0tb4n

If you were in charge how would you deal with these questions?[/quote:2iy0tb4n]

No, it's called quotas. If calling them "goals" makes you feel better, have at it. You made the statement that black applicants with degrees could make more money in the private sector than working law enforcement. Could a white applicant with a degree also make more money in the private sector ? If not, why not ? Oh, I forgot, there's that whole affirmative action thing kickin' in again. You see, here's the deal, so long as there are people like you who feel some sense of entitlement, or who believe that standards should be lowered to attract a particular race or gender, this country will never be able to advance. Why you ask ? Because affirmative action is nothing more than reverse discrimination. You know it, I know it, and it is what it is. No law enforcement agency is required or mandated to hire a certain percentage of blacks, hispanics or females. The feds attempt to force agencies to comply with affirmative action hiring practices by withholding federal grants if they don't. Some agencies don't comply. Those agencies are called "Equal Opportunity Employers". They still hire minorities, but have the same hiring standards for everyone. Just curious, your race is.....?[/quote:2iy0tb4n]

Thank you for your feedback, "If you were in charge and fltoddy". I intentionally used the name Tyrell to indicate my ethnicity. Actually, the feedback I have received from White Devil is sort of what I expected, minus the grammatical criticism, of course.

White Devil, it is not content of your response to my original posting but the context. As the old adage goes, it is not “what” you say, but “how” you say it.

It is evident that your intention was a bit malicious. You portrayed yourself as the connoisseur of the English language. A title bestowed upon you, by your keen sense of grammatical correctness.

Kudos to you Sir!

You must have done extremely well at a University.

Anyway, I have to go home to my white wife now. I do love all race. 

Thank you for your feedback and have a wonderful day at work. No hard feelings.

EOE

[quote=Anonymous][quote=White Devil]
    Quote Originally Posted by "If you were in charge":2bfk1ugf
    Quote Originally Posted by "White Devil":2bfk1ugf

No, it's called quotas. If calling them "goals" makes you feel better, have at it. You made the statement that black applicants with degrees could make more money in the private sector than working law enforcement. Could a white applicant with a degree also make more money in the private sector ? If not, why not ? Oh, I forgot, there's that whole affirmative action thing kickin' in again. You see, here's the deal, so long as there are people like you who feel some sense of entitlement, or who believe that standards should be lowered to attract a particular race or gender, this country will never be able to advance. Why you ask ? Because affirmative action is nothing more than reverse discrimination. You know it, I know it, and it is what it is. No law enforcement agency is required or mandated to hire a certain percentage of blacks, hispanics or females. The feds attempt to force agencies to comply with affirmative action hiring practices by withholding federal grants if they don't. Some agencies don't comply. Those agencies are called "Equal Opportunity Employers". They still hire minorities, but have the same hiring standards for everyone. Just curious, your race is.....?[/quote:2bfk1ugf]

Thank you for your feedback, "If you were in charge and fltoddy". I intentionally used the name Tyrell to indicate my ethnicity. Actually, the feedback I have received from White Devil is sort of what I expected, minus the grammatical criticism, of course.

White Devil, it is not content of your response to my original posting but the context. As the old adage goes, it is not “what” you say, but “how” you say it.

It is evident that your intention was a bit malicious. You portrayed yourself as the connoisseur of the English language. A title bestowed upon you, by your keen sense of grammatical correctness.

Kudos to you Sir!

You must have done extremely well at a University.

Anyway, I have to go home to my white wife now. I do love all race. 

Thank you for your feedback and have a wonderful day at work. No hard feelings.

EOE[/quote:2bfk1ugf]

Now do you really think anyone cares that you have a white wife ? My posts were not malicious, they were truthful. Move on with your life and quit using your race as a crutch.

Iam sure mud is flying like sharks

In closing....

Tyrell,

I'm sure you know by now that White Devil doesn't speak for everyone just like I don't speak for everyone. Everyone has an opinion and internally developed assumptions.

I think some people are sour on affirmative action because it has had mixed results. I know for a fact that individuals have been passed over for jobs, promotions, or housing simply because they were black even though they appeared the most qualified.

On the flip side, individuals have been hired and promoted even though they weren't the most qualified simply because they were black.

In my opinion, making it illegal to discriminate based on race was the right thing to do. Trying to reverse years of discrimination with a mandate to "stock the ponds" was the wrong thing to do.

Having said that, if you are a qualified applicant with good morals and a strong work ethic, I think you'd be a great fit for HCSO. Once you're out there busting butt taking care of your zone and your partners, people will only see green and white. I see a lot of diversity in the squads and I haven't seen it as a problem yet.

Good luck either way. If you're interested in keeping your day job and joining the reserves, reply or PM me and I'll get you some information.

Just my opnion but affimitative action is outdated. Just look at the presidential race were a black man is the leading candidate. Hire on a most qualified basis, district 3 is a shining example of affirmitative action.

That's what I meant to say....

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Just my opnion but affimitative action is outdated. Just look at the presidential race were a black man is the leading candidate. Hire on a most qualified basis, district 3 is a shining example of affirmitative action.
    That's what I was trying to say. Hire the most qualified candidate, don't hire or not hire based on race.

[quote=White Devil][quote=Anonymous][quote="White Devil":3pq1al6i]
    Quote Originally Posted by "If you were in charge":3pq1al6i
    Quote Originally Posted by "White Devil":3pq1al6i

No, it's called quotas. If calling them "goals" makes you feel better, have at it. You made the statement that black applicants with degrees could make more money in the private sector than working law enforcement. Could a white applicant with a degree also make more money in the private sector ? If not, why not ? Oh, I forgot, there's that whole affirmative action thing kickin' in again. You see, here's the deal, so long as there are people like you who feel some sense of entitlement, or who believe that standards should be lowered to attract a particular race or gender, this country will never be able to advance. Why you ask ? Because affirmative action is nothing more than reverse discrimination. You know it, I know it, and it is what it is. No law enforcement agency is required or mandated to hire a certain percentage of blacks, hispanics or females. The feds attempt to force agencies to comply with affirmative action hiring practices by withholding federal grants if they don't. Some agencies don't comply. Those agencies are called "Equal Opportunity Employers". They still hire minorities, but have the same hiring standards for everyone. Just curious, your race is.....?[/quote:3pq1al6i]

It is evident that your intention was a bit malicious. You portrayed yourself as the connoisseur of the English language. A title bestowed upon you, by your keen sense of grammatical correctness.[/quote:3pq1al6i]

Tyrel, look at the guy's name! "WHITEDEVIL" come on! Nuff said.

[/quote:3pq1al6i]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast