40 cal is a mistake - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The Echo platoons are going through the Glock transitional training right now. We all qualified with our new weapons yesterday, and will go through the night firing tonight. To be honest, I was nervous about switching weapons. I like my S&W .45. Though I'm female, I have a larger grip, so the .45 is comfortable in my hand. I also like that it's a tough gun. It will stand up and keep firing under any situation I happen to get in.
    But these new Glocks are pretty awesome. The holster is 100 times more tactical than our old holsters, and the weapon itself is smooth, accurate, and packs a good punch. Arguably, there is little difference in fire power between the .45 and the .40 cals. So the added magazine capacity is a huge benefit. If I don't hit anything, I'll sure scare the sh!$ out of em with all the lead I'll be slinging!!

As for Sig and the H&K's, they are fine guns, but cost prohibitive. I owned a really nice Sig a long time ago. I sold it because I couldn't trust it. The Sig fires well enough. But after I put about 50 rounds through it, it would start to jam up. It doesn't handle being dirty very well at all. I want a weapon that will shoot right every time, not just when it's clean. If we'd gone to Sigs, I'd have had to find a way out of that choice. Nice weapon, but only for fair weather shooting. S&W were getting too expensive to maintain and repair, so we had to change to something else. Of all the choices we had (and it wasn't an endless array, the heck with cost!), I think Glock is going to prove to be the best one.

As a warning to those who haven't gone through the training yet, GET YOUR HANDS IN SHAPE BEFORE YOU GO!!! And bring some bandaids, cos you'll need them. By the end of the first day, your hands are going to be hurting. Your strong-hand thumb is going to take the worst of it. A bandaid wrapped around it will help protect you from a lot of the soreness. These new holsters and weapons are something you'll have to practice a LOT with, before you get smooth with it. They require a strong grip. They have no respect at all for a wimpy grasp, so be forewarned! If you have a grip exerciser, use it. You'll be glad you did! Good luck, and happy shooting!

for anyone that still has to go thru Glock training... get the hogue grip. These guns are ROUGH and will wear away on you hands as well as slide around. The hogues slip on and they make the gun sooo much better to shoot and handle. Personally I like this gun a LOT more then the S & W.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12