Study: Could firefighters help police in Saginaw?

Study: Could firefighters help police in Saginaw?

SAGINAW (WJRT) - (02/05/07)--Firefighters helping fight crime? Poor record keeping and slow response time. Saginaw's crime problem needs immediate attention according to a new public safety report.

Last week it was announced that the resources of the Michigan State Police will be redeployed, producing a strong police presence in the city.

The plan is a two-year commitment.

The report claims that firefighters are on a fire scene two hours a day, and that they have ample time to do other things between calls for service.
    A criminal justice consultant group wrote the 28-page report about police and fire department efficiency. One part that is drawing a lot of controversy is the use of firefighters to do some police work.

The report, which looked at a brief period in 2005, recommends that Saginaw firefighters be trained to enter data and take police reports.

The fire stations eventually would become mini precincts. But they are not recommending firefighters to become full-fledged police officers. The idea is already raising eyebrows.

"To ask fire department to take police reports is (not a good idea)," said Union President Ruben Vasquez.

"No. 1, they don't have training in our area and for them to understand, there's certain training behind that. To ask them to take police reports is going to cause a lot of problems to go back."

The study recommends paying a stipend to encourage volunteers within the department.

On the police side, the report criticized police response time, citing the average response to the most serious calls is 12 minutes.

Vasquez says the department has been working on the problem.

"I truly believe if they did the study now with the changes we have in place you would see a totally different outcome with response times much shorter," he said.

Union President Maurice Patterson says this is a collective barging issue and everything would have to be negotiated.

The experts point out they do not recommend a consolidated public safety department; a revision of the city charter could do that.
    __________________________________________________ _

I just can't get over the fact that this city of "Firsts" - St. Petersburg Florida hasn't tried a redux of it's failed '70's Public Safety program.

While we here at St. Petersburg Fire & Rescue stand by to help any and all of you any time you need us, you're not going to get us to jump through any of the above story's hoops all too soon. I mean, c'mon. When you guy's took the job, didn't they promise you that you could chase bad guys? Well didn't they? I get to run 10-18 on every call!

I wouldn't worry too much about any of us 'tanglefoot' Firefighters writing reports for any of you too soon. As of late, we're in the same boat as all of you. For the first time in my career here, I'm seeing folks with several years on the job applying elsewhere. Mike Connors says that we have neither a retention problem or a problem attracting new hires. Whu? The job openings that we had last year attracted fewer than 100 Firefighters and even fewer Firefighter Paramedics. Of the few Paramedics that apply, many get tossed due to background 'reasons'.

Orlando had openings too! They just accepted over 1200 Firefighter applications. Miami-Dade took in several thousand applications and are no longer accepting them.

Here's the kicker... little Long Boat Key is paying it's top paid Firefighter/Paramedics $15,000 more than the City of St. Pete is currently paying ours.

How do we know this? Of all the people who came from all over central and south Florida who applied for the three Firefighter/Paramedic jobs in Long Boat Key - the three who scored highest on their entrance exam were:
    1. A St. Pete FF/PM candidate
    2. A St. Pete FF/PM candidate
    3. A St. Pete FF/PM candidate

Yes! The citizens of this city have some pretty darned good Firefighter/Paramedics protecting them and their loved one's.

For now!

Attempting to negotiate a contract with a brick wall for more than 1000 days! See you all the the Impasse hearings on the 6th of March!

FD Bro'

We are behind you guys 100%. As you well know we also have some big issues of our own. Maybe if we can get together at meetings and rallies we will be heard by the citizens. No more talking to the idiots at city council, its time to tell the citizens the REAL story.