Mayor's pay raise - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Can you site where you are getting your information from, because you are very misinformed. Please!

1. Who got a pay cut?

2. How do you not get your COLA that is in the contract, after 10 years of being here that has never happened to me? I have never slept with the boss.

3. What building inspector did she say to suck it up to? The job has been posted on the city website, so how has she refused to hire more? They are paying them a fortune in overtime right now, so how is that saving the taxpayer money?

You are clueless, “Shafted”, what police agency pays better than the city of Tampa on the central east coast of Florida. You cannot do better for this area! You are either one angry individual who will never be happy, or you have set your life style expectations to high for this profession. The mayor will always be paid more than a police officer in any major city in an America. Just accept it. She deserves a COLA, just like you and me.

You are clueless

Let me help you out since its obvious you dont read the paper.
    1. Every non-sworn got their merit raises chopped in half. The COLA doesn't even begin to cut it for them.
    2. I wasn't talking about COLA
    3. If you had read the paper, the mayor said, quote, "They didn't come into public service to get rich." and they shouldn't expect a raise from her even though they are dropping inspectors like eggs from flies on sh!t.
    The reason its posted on the website is because they keep losing inspectors because no one wants to work there because she won't give them a raise.
    I want **** Greco back and now.
    At least with him I didn't have to bust my butt and get paid very little. I just got paid very little.

You are still just spitting out crap and failing to make your argument. They got a 10.5% COLA/ sworn got 11%. Everyone who is not topped out got more. The Mayor is going 4 years without a COLA or Merit. So big deal she gets an 11% raise if and only if she is reelected. That averages 2.5% a year. That’s less than “any” city employee. I believe you also got a car and free gas as well as part of your benefit package. If you want a driver ride 2-man. I guess if the mayor says no to the raise, you will be ok if she says no to yours as well, right or are you a hypocrite?

out poo

Please tell me when a non-sworn got a 10.5% COLA?
    Are you living at Disneyland??
    You are lying right out of your Captains desk.
    Try around 3% and some change.
    Oh...I get it...you want to make your lies sound better so you are adding up all three years together.
    Ohhhhh...don't forget to tell everyone she chopped the non-sworn personnel pay in half and increased health insurance premiums because HR never looked for any better ones.
    How do I know this you ask??
    I actually get out of my patrol car and talk to those underpaid and overworked men behind the scenes.

Salaries

POLICE SALARIES

POLICE OFFICER STARTING SALARY

City of Miami Beach 44,713
    Miramar 39,011
    Coral Gables 42,843
    Fort Lauderdale 42,432
    Pembroke Pines 41,995
    Boca Raton 40,293
    Hallandale Beach 41,507
    Coral Springs 42,774
    Davie 41,434
    Orlando 38,052
    Hillsborough 39,115

7 agencies that get paid more money that us 4 that are competitive (I am sure there are more). As far as other benefits (health care, pension, take home, etc.), its give and take. We have some benefits that are better, and they have some benefits that are better.

Bottom line is that we need a stronger P.B.A. and a membership that stands united. Then and only then, will the city stop pushing us around, and we will be able to obtain what we want in benefits and salaries.

There are many PBA's up north that go after the city all the time (http://www.nypdflsa.com/index.html). The problem that we have with ours is that the reps will do the very minimum that they have to do in a case because they do not want to make big waves. Why? Various reasons come into play, friendships, promotions, not wanting to become a target themselves, etc. We need a PBA that has balls and is going to keep it's members informed, and motivate them to get involved. A P.B.A. that demonstrates that they truely care, and are willing to fight for it's members, no matter the cost, time, or effort that has to be put into it.

N.Y.P.D. P.B.A. ( http://www.nycpba.org/news/index.html):

"We waged a media advertisement campaign, made public appearances too numerous to count, appeared on radio and TV, demonstrated at the Republican National Convention and picketed the Mayor at public appearances and other locations, including his residence, all to highlight our wage plight. While the City may not have been moved by our campaign, the public, press and ultimately the arbitrator heard our public arguments and we believe that the public campaign strengthened our position." Sounds like our press conferences, right? L.M.A.O.

"On June 28, 2005, after 14 days of arbitration and numerous days of other hearings and meetings, an award was issued by the PERB panel in our 2002-2004 Contract Arbitration, ending a protracted round of bargaining that began in September 2002. As you know, this produced an award of 5% per year over two years, or 10.25% compounded. While we deserved much more and that was clearly proven in our arbitration hearings, this award represented a significant upward departure from anything offered by the City across the negotiating table or during the mediation process."

With the crime reduction bonuses that the chief and majors received, I think that at a minimum 5, 5, and 5 sounds good. We have been working our ass off (well, most of us) and have reduced crime in this city. We did all the dirty work, and its time for the city to pay up!

N.Y.C.S.T. (http://www.nystpba.org/pages/public/news.asp?cat=D)

The PBA will be presenting arguments before the Appellate Division, Third Department, today defending a previous Supreme Court decision that the Division of State Police wrongly withheld a Trooper’s pay after an initial 30-day suspension from duty. The ruling also ordered the Trooper be paid retroactively. Following the court win in favor of the PBA, Division filed an appeal.

Attached above is the 19-page brief filed by the PBA to accompany today’s arguments in court. To read the brief, just click on the icon above. The PBA will continue to fight for our members’ rights through whatever means necessary.

I can go on and on with examples from other P.B.A.'s. I think that you guys get the picture.

Now to be fair, I do not think that the members help the situation by playing the me, myself, and I routine.

N.Y.P.D.:

"We want to thank you for taking the time to participate in this important process. The AAA informed us that the average turnout for a union election is 30%, while the turnout for the PBA 2003 election was over 53%, far greater than the average. We will continue our efforts to involve all members in the important work of the union.

On a more personal note, we want to thank you for your loyalty and support over the past four years. Over 70% of the membership expressed approval of the direction this organization is heading under the current leadership. This mandate sends a clear message to elected officials and others that WE SPEAK WITH ONE VOICE."

We need to stop all the gossip, back stabbing, etc., and stand united as one. United we stand, divided we fall.

Peace out, my brothers, and be safe!

Those are starting salaries.........Our scale sends you up almost faster than every one of those. We get paid a good deal more than HCSO after several years. Ft Lauderdale is one of the few that might have TPD actually beat. But look at the benefits of the others........taking your car home to Pasco is worth several thousand to some officers.

So do I

It's not so much that we don't think the mayor has a hard job.
    We do too.
    You have to give support in order to get it.
    She really did shaft the non-sworn and then makes the ever famous quote..."You didn't come into public service to get rich."
    That is almost like a slap in the face to them.
    In the same breath, she asks for a huge raise for herself.
    That is pretty twisted.
    I heard she is conducting an additional salary study so she can cut more salaries and redline people but there is obviously not a money shortage.
    Until she can support them, I can't support her.

There are too may here that are only out for themselves and will never stand together, the City knows this. Bennie resisted leaving a Central station until he went to a Chiefs forum and learned that when you divide officers and play on that, you simply "divide and conquer". Even tho we had lost our take home cars, we were really together "back in the day" because everyone would meet and BS in the parking lot or stop at the FOP on the way home. Everyone is in a hurry to get home or to that O.D. job and I never hear of anyone having an actual Squad party anymore....we are our own worst enemy when it come to sticking together...and until we do, the PBA will continue to be the way they are.

Divide and conquer was in affect long before Bennie was Chief and our cars were taken away. Disharmony was always the goal of this dept. Squad parties eminated from the Sgt's position. And they haven't cared about that for a loooooong time. Not sure what 'back in the day' period you're referring to. But it was like that since the early-mid 80's. There were always too many that were out for themselves and hurrying to that OD job. And just like today, this dept has never backed it's officers unless they were 150% correct. That's just the way it is and it will never change. Mayors, Chiefs and staff always got their big raises then, just as now. And they were always rewarded for the jobs we do on the street. And the PBA, well you all see what they've become over the years. Just hope they can get us the best pay & benefits they can. Do your jobs to the best of your ability and go home safe and sound at the end of your shift. You'll never change these things. And if you think you can, then you'll be working on a nice ulcer your remaining time here.

Member LEO Affairs Rookie

Squad Parties

I don't know if many (I know of a couple) are still around from old squad 34, but they would tell you we had some REAL parties. We worked hard and while on duty it was serious, but after we got off we played just as hard as we worked. Learn who "The Trained Killer" is and get him to tell you about old squad 34. As a Rookie, he bore the brunt of a lot of the squads jokes (and bore them well I might add), but hopefully enough time has passed that he can look back on them and laugh.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast