Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
The 1% sounds like it has not been approved by BOCC so it can not be called a cost of living. This sounds more like the Sheriff has enough money left over from his current budget to give a 1% increase in salary instead of returning it to the BOCC. Thus he has to call it something so he is winking and calling it a step.
That actually sounds like it could be a honest possibility Joe. I must admit I am not very thrilled with the path the office HAS CHOSEN to take in many circumstances over the last several years. I know, maybe I'm nuts and need to be Baker Acted, but I want to believe that the Sheriff still has our best interests at heart. I'm topped out in pay and have not had a pay raise in 2-3 years like alot of other people, but I do feel I make decent money AT THIS TIME. If the top out pay doesn't go up in another 2-3 years that will be a different story......but hey I am holding out faith that the Sheriff will do the right things when he has the opportunity, given the current economy. I know how overdue that step pay plan was before finally being implemented and I shutter when I hear this 1% raise being called a step raise, so maybe Joe is right and it is just the terminology being used to assist getting it thru the BOCC.

I also have great fear about the FRS system, not due to anything that is said on this site, because they will try to go after it regardless and we cannot sit idle and let them strip away all those stressful years we spent doing this job. All I can say is that if they try to tamper with my retirement pay after 25 long years of dealing with the counties lowest of lowests, they better be ready for one hell of a fight. We earned EVERY dollar of that pension and then MUCH MORE, so stay away from my FRS. Hell, just about any professional athlete earns more in a year then we ever have the chance of earning from our 25 years of service & retirement.

I know how low morale is and I know how hard you all, including myself have been working on the street and I wish you all the best of luck and again, hopefully this 1% raise thing is just another lack of communication.