I have received word that Capt Reed has passed away from his injuries. RIP Capt Reed. Our thoughts and prayers are with Capt Reed's wife, children and family.

Article from http://www.gainesvillesun.com

Dixie sheriff's captain, suspect shot

By Cindy Swirko
Staff writer

Published: Thursday, January 14, 2010 at 6:27 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, January 14, 2010 at 6:27 p.m.

A Dixie County sheriff's captain and a suspect were shot in Cross City late Thursday afternoon when officers tried to apprehend the man, who was wanted for allegedly shooting four people, two of them fatally, in Hernando County, authorities said.

The seriousness of their injuries was not available, although reports stated that sheriff's Capt. Chad Reed was shot in the face. Dixie County Sheriff Dewey Hatcher said Reed was airlifted to Shands at the University of Florida,

Hatcher said he believes the suspect, identified as John Kalisz, 55, was also airlifted the Shands.

Kalisz was apparently involved in the shooting at around 3 p.m. Thursday of four people, two of whom are his relatives, near Brooksville, authorities said.

The Hernando County Sheriff's Office told the Associated Press that Kalisz is accused of killing two elderly women, and wounding a woman and a pregnant girl.

Hatcher said authorities were notified that he was heading toward Dixie County on U.S. 19. Deputies spotted the car and followed it to a gas station in Cross City. The shooting of Cept. Reed and Kalisz happened there, Hatcher said.

"Some of my guys intercepted the vehicle and were following it. We were trying to stage enough people to do a traffic stop," Hatcher said. "When the guy gets to Cross City, he pulls into a gas station. My officers approached the vehicle. They exchange fire. My captain was shot and the suspect was also shot."

Hatcher said he didn't know where the the shot hit Reed, though witnesses at the scene told The Sun the wound was to Reed's face. Hatcher did not know the extent of the injuries to the suspect.