Our Trooper

Thread: Our Trooper

Our Trooper

On Behalf of the Highlands County Sheriff’s Office I would like to thank all of the agencies that assisted us and the Florida Highway Patrol in capturing the murders of Sgt. Nick Sottile. Those that came from all around and helped find those creeps that took one of our troopers that dreaded day. When I say one of our troopers I mean he was from here and worked with us on a daily basis, every deputy or officer from this county knew Nick in someway. Whether it was we seen him on a traffic stop, or on an accident scene, somehow we all were blessed with his presence at one point or another. Today was a day to reflect on his life that was cut short by a P.O.S. no good punk. LEO’s from all over the United States and Florida came and stood side by side to honor the life of our trooper. Those young officers, deputies, and troopers learned what the Thin Blue Line really means. When looking over the crowd and seeing that cops from Washington State, Chicago, and your own agencies stand in unison to honor a fallen comrade you feel that brotherhood that we all belong too. So thanks for attending and showing the compassion the family so desperately needs in this time of crisis, you all have made a lasting impression.
    Thanks Again

And lets make sure the SOB responsible for this fries after a “Speedy Trial”.

Sgt Sottile

Where can I start and where would I end? A son, a brother, a husband, a father, a friend, a member of the thin blue line, ......a HERO. We all lost a great man.
    The brotherhood that all Law Enforcement share was demonstrated to people in Highlands County and across the Nation. From the cooperation and great work of many agencies capturing the ones responsible to the Memorial Service where a multitude of Law Enforcement stood saluting in silence.
    Sgt Daum could not have made a better statement at the service. "Friday, the world as we know it stopped."
    My prayer and my heart goes out to Sgt Sottile's family and friends.

You could not have said it better, Kevin. Our world has been changed by the departure of Nick, but our world was changed even more by knowing him. If we had only known Thursday was the last day we would see him here, we would have stayed and told more stories and teased each other a little more. There will always be an empty seat at the table and an empty spot in our hearts. If I could only order 4 skins!

I have to believe the roads in heaven are in need of help and that is why Nick is up there giving out tickets and a smile.

We are all are better because we knew him.

I wanted to thank all of the members of HCSO for all of their support and assistance through this difficult time. I know you all were instrumental Friday night and Saturday morning. We also appreciated all of the manpower you provided on Tuesday, you all did a great job. Thanks again, stay safe.

I was one of the Hardee Deputies who assisted w/ traffic control, and it was an awesome sight to see that many LEOs there to support our fallen brother.

Kudos to you Highlands guys, everything went smooth w/ the traffic control. It was very well organized.

I also want to thank all of you for the hard work and long hours that you put in to capture the killer. I did not get to go to the funeral, but I have heard it was very well organized. Thank you all, and God Bless.

My Brother

First and foremost thanks to every officer that help catch the killer of my brother Nicky Sottile. If I tried to make a list I'd miss someone . It does not seem real that I am typing this. The fact is that everyone reading this (police officer) faces the same risk that Nicky faced on 01/12/07. He , like you guys, took a chance every time he left the house on duty, but that's the career he chose. I remember my daddy telling him," You got 24 years on son, let those guys go,( the punks p.o.s.) cause they're too dangerous," Nicky's reply would be, "Daddy that's my job". Daddy had this same conversation with Nicky at Daddy's house Thursday night (01/11/07). Nicky only knew one way to do his job-100%. He worked as if he just started his career, not like he was about to retire. As everyone knows I too was a police officer for 12 years and have been doing bailbonds for 13 years. I know the risks and the dangers. Many of you have helped me recapture many bailjumpers. I to this day still have a connection with you guys and always will. Just remember- Tell your family and friends you love them while you can! Becareful- God Bless!

To Jimmy

Jimmy,

Let me first offer my prayers to you and your family.

I lost a good friend who I grew up with since childhood and considered him to be like a brother to me. He got on the department because I did a few years later. He was shot & killed 19 years ago and I still think of him almost daily. The pain never goes away but in time you have to find a special place for it in your heart and not allow it to consume you. There are good days and bad days and little things will trigger your emotions.

You can Monday night quaterback the events forever and they will never change, I was on the scene 19 years ago and have relived it more times then I could count. Just be there for your family and his and don't try to find a reason why such a horribly thing happened.

This is the best thing I could say to you. Please feel free to write back if you need to as I will watch this site. Good luck , you will need alot of it in time.