And 2 years college makes you what......?

And 2 years college makes you what......?

I believe in education and furthering yourself. I find it completely amazing that there are good officers, with tons of experience that would love to work for Jax but are shut out because of NO COLLEGE.
    I have 20 years, would love to be there but can't get around that 24 year old with no experience and a degree. I know guys on my department that have Masters degrees and have no common sense.
    Is the admin ever gonna read between the lines and change? A good background and interview will tell you what kind of cop your getting.
    I just don't understand it.

Degree?

Having lived in Duval County for 5 years, I was also amazed at why a degree made you a better cop.

I know for a fact that the college degree requirement WILL be waived if you are a minority. I personally know 2 officer who DID NOT have college degrees and did get hired because they were minorities. No, they were no Africian-Americans, one was Native American and the other was Chinese-American.

JSO does a good job having to deal with everything. But, I also saw a lot of cops trying to attend UNF to further their education. I never understood why a master's degree would further your career.

After working a 12 hour shift, these poor officers would go to class and fall asleep because of exaustion. How effective is this officer going to be on little or no sleep because he/she has to have a master's degree?

Most agencies are slowly removing the requirement for college because a degree does not make you a better cop. You either have it in your heart or you don't.

come to tampa

Come to Tampa all you need is 60 college credits or that could be waived for military or police experience. besides, our starting salary is over 40,000 a year. I to wanted to work for JSO so bad years ago. But all the games they played with my processing and all the other agencies that I turned down for JSO. I am glad that I came to TPD great deparetment to work for.