How demanding is the travel?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How demanding is the travel?

I'm considering applying.

But before I do I want to hear an accurate assessment of the travel demands. I've heard horror stories and fluff stories and everything in between. I'd like some non-rhetorical, no-B.S. experiences.

Review previous threads.

I hope you get some responses from active agents who are currently involved in travel.

In the mean time you might want to review the thread below titled "An Exodus of Agents - Is it true?"

There is also one started by Stacywolf asking about being the wife of an Agent.

Both threads have a few posts, pro and con, about the job. Some of the stuff is "old history" which is why I hope you hear from some agents who are traveling right now.

Just a thought.

I think active duty agents might be afraid to post anything negative on a bulletin board for fear that their techno-nerds would be able to identify them. After all, breaking computer codes is one of the things they do.

:wink:

The travelling isn't all that bad. A few days on the road never hurt anyone.

Don't be misled by my comment....I am sure it is demanding during the campaign. In my opinion, the money is worth it if you don't have kids.

Quote Originally Posted by traveler
    The travelling isn't all that bad. A few days on the road never hurt anyone.

Don't be misled by my comment....I am sure it is demanding during the campaign. In my opinion, the money is worth it if you don't have kids.

A FEW days on the road? I doubt that you are an agent.

The exodus of USSS agents to other agencies has never been higher. There are more protectees and more travel than ever before in history.

Believe the horror stories.

If you don't have a wife or kids, or don't mind losing the wife and kids that you do have, it may not be so bad.

The Secret Service is, of necessity, mission oriented. The attitude towards personnel is to burn them out, toss them aside and bring in someone new.

When I came on, protective travel was about 25% of my total man hours. When I left, I figured it to be about 50%. I'll bet it's higher now, and not just from the Campaign. Read my reply to Stacywolf. What I neglected to remind her is that, in the eyes of some policy makers in HQ, SA's are assets to be managed. Don't confuse management with leadership. A leader is out front, bringing his troops along with him. Managers move assets from the rear. It's rare to find a supervisor who is both. Sure, there are some good supervisors, but they are usually first level supervisors in the field.

Apache School of Management

An Apache will ride his horse until it drops. Then, he builds a fire next to it to get it up. Then he rides it some more. This goes on until the horse can no longer get up. Then, the Apache eats it. 'Nuff said?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I feel that the travelling isn't really that bad. If you are in a smaller office, you aren't tasked with as much protective travel as some of the larger offices.

The flat out, honest opinion is...IF you want to be an investigator, the USSS is not the agency for you. You will have your great cases to work on. You just have to remember, when INV calls you to go to an African country to post stand, they dont care if you were going to talk to a victim or a suspect. Your case will have to wait.

You will work more than other federal agencies, but the working conditions aren't as bad as some of the previous posts have stated. I left a good agency in Florida to work in NY. It's all what you make of it.

Dilbert

When I retired after 27 & 1/2 years toiling in the Director's vineyard, a colleague gave me a retirement gift. It was a laminated Dilbert comic strip. I found it appropriate and look at it every day, should I begin to think that a Boss cares. It consists of three panels. They depict a conversation between Dilbert and his pointy-headed boss

Panel # 1: Dilbert - I'd like to talk about my career path.
    Boss - Okay.

Panel # 2: Boss - My plan is to work you until your health deteriorates and
    your skills deteriorate. Then I'll downsize you.

Panel # 3" Dilbert - I'm ill.
    Boss - Really? I've never had a plan work this fast before.

Re: How demanding is the travel?

If you have a wife and/or child and are seriously concerned about the amount of travel you'll have to do as a Special Agent then this IS NOT the job for you.

Especially now, with Hillary as Sec. of State, Biden as VP, and extra security everywhere Obama goes; plus the crime rate going up everywhere with more counterfeiting and cybercrime!!!!!!!!!!

Reality Check Time--Most agents are probably travelling 50% of the time all the time. Unless you can live with this kind of lifestyle don't waste the time and resources of the USSS to train you. When you're on assignments SAs depend on each other. Be committed to the job and the mission. Ask the questions up front, and keep on asking them.

USSS agents have a tough job and they do it well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast