Applicant

Thread: Applicant

Applicant

hey thinking about applying to DOT, Live in SWFL so hopefully trying to get the station in Punta gorda on I-75. If u could be so kind as to let me know what a typical work day is like. I have ridden with FHP, is ur job the same only enforcing Commercial vehicles?
    shifts? O.T?
    Im already certified, and have military backround. How long is ur highering process?

P.S. UR APPLICATION is by far the longest and most detailed i have ever filled out!!

The odds of you staying near home are slim. The MCCO will place you where they need you anywhere in the State and then, after a year or so, you can transfer. Hiring process will run between 6 months to a year. Have you seen their starting pay? For that area of the State you'd be better off starting your LE career with a local SD or PD.

Yea but there are always details to work. Plus havnt gotten onto any of the PDs or SO's I applied to.
    Im hoping there isnt as much politics with DOT as ur local SO/PD.
    Plus I read in some post they dont work nights or weekends? I just a baby boy and it would be nice to have easy schedule for a while.

job

This is a great job and a great law enforcement agency, dont listen to the guest that attempted to tell you about the pay, he is just probably one of those guys who is not happy anywhere he works. You will probably have a good chance of staying in south west florida, that field office does not have alot of officers for the area that they have to cover so they need people. Most of our job is commerical vehicle enforcement but we are state law enforcement officers so you can get into as much stuff as you want to. Good luck and hope to see you soon.

Hey happydot...I am PERFECTLY happy where I work, but thank you for your concern. I was just trying to help the guy out. I'd rather tell him that 31000-35000 a year w/DOT is going to make life a little more difficult for him in SW Florida as opposed to 40000 plus with a local department in that area. So calm down with the assumptions.

Vtown

Thanks to happy dotcop and others, that is what I wanted to hear. Hopefully things will work out. My application should be on their desk right about now.

Dear Happy

Stagnant employment with slim chances of advancement in pay are not my ideas of a great job. Vtown....you should check out the S.O.'s or any one of the City P.D.'s, you're guaranteed to make more $ and have a better retirement, probably only working 20 instead of 25 years for most municipalities. + if you a child, you need to think of your future and your financial security. Remember working for the State, your almost always deployed far from home for emergencies or natural disasters. If your child depends on your presence at home, this a big ( - ). You also have to think about training which usually occurs in Tallahassee or in other parts of the State. DOT is not what it used to be. Those who got out prior to today's regime, made the best decision. Good Luck Vtown...oh, yea and keep on trucking Mr. Happy DOT!

No openings currently show on the MyFlorida website. Can a current member advise? I am currently employed with a large SO and looking to get to North Florida