Why are we.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are we.....

Why are we.....

So afraid of trying to form a union again? 4.2% raise. Insurance went up. Paychecks are still smaller. People need to realize that this department wont progress without one, because we all know the chief is not going to get us what we deserve.

So...who is going to do it? Its going to take a lot of guts, is anybody up for the challenge? We all know that it is for the best. You must realize that whoever takes on the challenge, will be blackballed. Ask your squadmates, if they are willing to take on the city. If there is enough interest, do it. If we had done it several years ago, we would be in a much better position now. The first 2-3 years will be rough, but ask yourself, what do we have to lose? Most importantly, everyone must stick together.

well, why cant we try this....

the city, not the chief, decides our pay, i understand the chief gets the same raise as us but if the chief makes $100,000, at 4.2 percent that's $4,200 more a year, at $37,000 the 4.2 is $1,854 more a year. that being said, he does not decide our pay.

the city knows what they pay a police officer, sgt, lt, capt, and chief. if we as a department went to a step plan, where the evaluations depended upon you getting a raise you might see some new motivation. if the base police officer started at $37,000 and you get, just say, an average of $1,500 raise per year with a cap at 10 years (or less with our POFC, SPO, MPO program) then the city could plan how much they would spend on salaries. Then they could plan for a 2-3% COLA in addition to the step pay about once every two years.

if we were only going to get 4.2% this year then why didn't the chief push the supervisor's pay differential? i remember when the chief said the reason he didn't ask for it last year was that the 10% was better for everyone and instead of pleasing only a few (the supervisors) he was trying to appease more people. well, what happened this year, i guess we are oh so happy with the 4.2% and the supervisors don't need it

shift differential is another option. i know of one senior officer who, if they got paid more for working night shift, they would BJ Broxton once said no other department in the city got shift differential and to keep with other city department's that's why we didn't have it. if we offered a $0.50 per hour pay increase for night shift then we might have more experience on night shift instead of mostly junior people which keep sgts and LTs busy.
    at least dayshift has the motor unit, CIU, and SIU in case all heck breaks loose, except on the weekends.

these are the few suggestions i have time to list.....see ya

good luck with a union, just like last time everyone caved when they were promised all that useless stuff. Plus, the main pushers of the union were transfered to cushy position and they wishdrew support. Strange wasn't it?

pay

Regarding the percentage personnel receive for pay, check your facts. The 4.2 % raise is for general employees. Personnel in executive positions are not subject to the same raise. They can and have received much higher raises. If you think the Chief, City manager, Human resources director and others have been receiving the same raise as you these past years, you are mistaken. They do not share your pain when it comes to pay and benefits.

If you want to know why you haven't been receiving the raises you deserve, it falls squarely on the Chief and City Manager. They may not have the authority to grant you a raise, but the raises you receive are generally ones they have signed off on. They have the ability to petition the city council and present them with a budget bill allowing for a substantial raise and benefits. Instead, every year you hear the same thing. The budget was completed without raising property taxes. This or that was funded.

Regarding the union, it's a tough bullet to bite. As stated, you will be black balled. If history is a guide for Officers who have been blackballed, you will receive disciplinary measures and will either be fired or forced to quit.

yes it is tough to start a union because they will screw with you. BUT wait until the chief is about to leave and during that time and before the new chief gets grounded thats your opportunity. YOU HAVE TO!!! these raises and these poor policies leave little reason to want to be here.

You can just do it now but I doubt most of the workforce has the stomach for the things to come from it. weak spines prevail, but you will always be happier if you can weather the storm.

I was a PCPD Officer in the late 1970's. Same questions.....same concerns.....same issues. I have been with a professional agency with a strong union for the rest of my lifetime. MAJOR difference. Don't want to sound too radical but you have to force your foot into the door and squeak those wheels. Need a strong union who can put political pressure on the City Council who will make the Chief do whatever they say. Reality dicxtates he can support you till the cows come home but he's gonna do whatever he's told from the City Manager and the City Commission. Get a Union to support friends in the City Council & destroy enemies and start dictating your needs instead of asking and getting smoke blown up yer arse.

Quote Originally Posted by UNION
    yes it is tough to start a union because they will screw with you. BUT wait until the chief is about to leave and during that time and before the new chief gets grounded thats your opportunity. YOU HAVE TO!!! these raises and these poor policies leave little reason to want to be here.

You can just do it now but I doubt most of the workforce has the stomach for the things to come from it. weak spines prevail, but you will always be happier if you can weather the storm.
    Who knows how long that will be until the chief retires, and at the rate we're going, we wont have enough officers to work if the conditions stay this way. That's the problem.

Sure its tough, but ask yourself is this a place to thats worthy to work for? right now I would say no. Union is the way to go we need to be together and no one fold

So what's it going to take to get our officers not to fold? People seem for the idea, but being deathly afraid is not going to get it done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast