injured officers

injured officers

a serious question for you guys: this is not a joke and coming from an injured officer facing termination...

In the event an officer in your agency receives a permanent disabling injury, what does your agency do? Does it try to find another position within the organization, or does it terminate you (as I am currently facing)?

Do they try to work with the officer, or simply state that if he/she cannot do the job theres the door?

Thanks for any feedback you might have

v-man1

Well, in Plant City it would all depend on how well they liked you at the time. If they liked you or if you had something on someone they would bend over backwards to accomidate you more than likely. If they did not like you, they would use your injury and your inability to fulfill your duties as a reason to let you go. (Totally legal by the way and easy to defend.)

Now, in their defense I would say that there are a lot of agencies that would do the same thing. It may not seem right or fair, but it is legal descrimination and it is practiced throughout the law enforcement profession. I would say that if you are facing termination that your agency simply does not want to start a practice of finding a position for injured officer that can't perform full duty or as previously noted, they don't like you and are going to use your injury as an excuse to get rid of you. You would know that better than anyone else.