vehicle fleet and stats - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

GREAT!!

You don't know what the "ramp" at booking was. (Hint not orient road)

You didn't know there was another jail.

You didn't know you had to get booking photo's "at booking"

You didn't know how the bullet hole got into the ceiling at district one in 1710

You didn't know we were allowed to smoke at roll call

You never sat at one long table at roll call

You never got a real hot sheet from radio (hot from the copier)

You never shot at a fleeing felon

You didn't know there was a time we had no sectors (patch really did mean the city of tampa)

When sub4 said they fixed your patrol car...

Good old 1710. I use to walk there everyday in the snow, barefoot.

you might be a rookie if:

You never had a call to the American Lounge.

You never met Gladys.

Well I do know that you are not a rookie if you attended the academy at 1710 :shock: ........and you know who "Charlie Brown" really was :shock: :shock: :shock:

Charlie Brown....

- and the fact that there is NO organized crime in Hillsborough County!

- checking out a shotgun at the property room on a daily basis and putting it in the overhead rack only to have it fall on your head at a later point.

- walking a beat on Main Street WITHOUT a radio or a car.

- hoping that while you were walking said beat that the zone car would come by with a raincoat for you if it started pouring.

- no radio reception south of Gandy.

- the School Squad (no, not school resource, school squad that worked evenings and went to school during the day)

- Carmine's (nuff said)

- Traffic court at 1710

- Traffic court judges that had a higher BAC in court than the defendants.

- Traffic court judges that would levy a fine and then reach in their own pocket and pay it.

Member LEO Affairs Rookie

Police Academy

If I attended the Police Academy ("Recruit Course 1") at the pistol range on West Diana, does it make me a relic? Sure does!!!! Anyone know who the officer was that dropped their weapon in a stall in the men's room in the Detective Division at 1710, it discharged leaving a ricochet indentation on the metal wall?

Radio SOG

It will please you to know that anyone assigned SOG knows that the radios (and computers) still don't work SOG in any reliable fashion. At least some things never change.

Re: Police Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Trash Man
    If I attended the Police Academy ("Recruit Course 1") at the pistol range on West Diana, does it make me a relic? Sure does!!!! Anyone know who the officer was that dropped their weapon in a stall in the men's room in the Detective Division at 1710, it discharged leaving a ricochet indentation on the metal wall?

As a HCSO deputy, I used to fire on that range. The rangemaster was Cliff Bedingfield; his son Norm was a deputy.
    I seem to remember that they issued us deputies only thirty rounds per visit and we fired (one hand hold) on a bullseye target at 25 yards only.

We had a deputy in the 70's (later rose to Major) who used that "dropped the pistol in the men's room stall" story to "explain" shooting himself in the tush. Fact is, you can't discharge a Chief's Special (which he carried) by dropping it. He must have fumbled around and pulled the trigger. :P

WE didn't have an academy back in the 60's. We had some classes taught by visiting FBI agents (remember Johnny Magdalia?) who came in and covered various law enforcement subjects in the mornings (after I finished up Midnight to Eight shift) and after a few weeks of this I got a certificate from the Florida Sheriff's Bureau.

No organized crime in Hillsborough County? That was Malcolm Beard's line. Nobody believed it. (His Vice Major was the brother in law of a major OC figure in Orlando.)

What was so good about the "good old days?" Well, it really was a lot of fun. We had a lot more discretion about how we worked. Supervision was minimal. And, we were younger then.............................

And then there was....

Ah, the old academy at 1710......Ron Slinker teaching defensive tactics in the old gym, twice a week for an hour...... John Brannigan doing his "I can hide 101 weapons on me that you'll never find" stand-up routine......and, the old annual Police Appreciation dinners where all our talented folks would get up and perform at the Egypt Temple building and then we'd dance out butts off. We did have FUN and comraderie in those days!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast