Promotions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Promotions

Promotions

Congradulations to Det. Sgt. Joe Price on his recent promotion. Sorry to all of those that took any test for promotional consideration. Thank goodness there is a union to protect everyone.

Det. Sgt. Joe Price Promotion

Guys,
    First off let it be known that Joe was asked by the Sheriff to fill in for 90 days. After that, the job will be posted and everyone who is eligible will be able to apply. I know because I was also asked. Joe is not trying to step on any toes or to cause any problems. As everyone knows we are running short on experienced supervisors and they are needed where they are. If anyone thinks the Det. Sgt. job is that easy maybe you should try investigations. Everyone also needs to remember that we union members have agreed to the sheriff's promotional policy as is.
    Lets all stick together and lets make it work, Joe is a level headed officer and I don't think anyone has a bad thing to say about him. Lets help him out and work together. Good luck joe.

We're going into union negotiations on the 12th and we need to stick together.

promotion

Ouverson, that was beautiful but the fact that you were asked is even more absurd then the promotion you spoke of without even being on the promotions list. A corrections officer who never worked a day on the road and still needs to go through fto yet, but your going to supervise veteran officers. Your keen knowledge of investigations, criminal law, policy and procedure, tactical considerations, and on and on surely supports the reason why you would be asked. Let me guess, you turned it down right? I feel bad for Gonzalez, Kramer, Barcinas, Casey and the rest for not even being considered. They probably were asked too. Right? Oh yeah, I forgot the top three names on the Sergeants list were asked also. Right? They must have turned it down also. I have no problem with Joe Price, but your rhetoric is ridiculous. Who voted you the union spokesman anyways? A mutiny isnt a bad idea..........................

Well I will be happy to answer your questions.

When Sgt. Kircher retired that left me with one Sgt. to help me run CIU.
    I knew Sgt. Murray would be retiring in a year or so and I thought I had him for that time.
    However Sgt. Murray came in a week later and stated he also was retiring in two weeks.
    That would mean I would be doing the job of three people until Sgt. Hood could transfer over from Accreditations in 90 days.
    Lets see if a Road Lieutenant lost their two Sgt’s. for 90 days what would he do?
    I’m sure he would suck it up and do all their jobs.
    I went to the brass and met with the Sheriff. I told her I needed someone to step into the role of sergeant for 90 days, as that was when Sgt. Hood would hopefully be available. I needed someone that would need little training and knew the job picking up the work. So I asked for Joe Price and was told to see if Tom Ouverson might also help out for those 90 days. All of us (Price, Ouverson, me & the Brass) knew it would be for 90 days only. After this temporary promotion period, the second Sgt. would be filled by Policy. Since you have no problem with Joe Price being selected for this temporary possession we both agree I did right. So if you have a problem with this, feel free to come see me or post your response with your name as I did.

Now to the union question. I am a member of the union and feel that there are good things on having them and some bad, but we do need them. The bottom line is most of you (young ones) do not realize how hard and long we have tired to get unionized to help with problems that come up from time to time. If you want a union then stand by it. If you do not want a union vote it out. I believe that is the point of having a democracy! It is true that Tom did not get voted as union spokesman. Because no one else wanted it after the first person stopped due to all the headaches that go with it. Tom was “drafted” into the spot. Another word you young ones know little about. The words you seem to know the best is “Me” “Me” “Me”.

And the bottom line question of the 2nd Sgt. slot in CIU. I encourage you to put in for it. Being in CIU is a snap, as you all know we have few cases. You do not have to worry about being called in after hours. When you leave work you will not think of any of the things you should have done that day or will have to do the next day. When you go on your two-week vacation and you return your desk and cases will be cleared. If you are not on call and the person that was suppose to cover gets sick, we do not ask anyone to cover for him. And last, you will work for a Lieutenant that will let your cases and affidavits slide if not up to his expiations.

To those Detectives that are in CIU now. I am proud of the work you are doing and what you are sending across the street.

John Chess

Thanks John.

Union Boys

John, for years I have respected you as an investigator, supervisor and instructor. But recently you fell down a well. How in your darkest dreams could you even imagine the possibility of suggesting Tom Overson to a supervisory position? How could you imagine that someone that has never carried a duty belt for any length of time could tell those that have worked the streets any thing.

(I at this point do want to say that I believe that Tom Overson is an excellent crime scene technician. I have always felt that our crime scene folks were top notch.)

But John, what were you thinking? Obviously nothing! At least the Sheriff had for forethought to put an end to that idea.

Now please straighten out a few other things for me please. I understand that Tom just took over the helm at the point the Bobby was promoted to Lt. Some time has passed since then and you have never felt the need to officially appoint anyone as the spoke person for the union. Tom, you should be complemented for taking the job, but that should have been temporary. How long do you plan on keeping the top union position? Are there ever going to be elections of officers? Or is this just the way the PBA does business, with anyone that steps forward.

Item two, how is it that Lt. Labelle, now Capt, goes to union negotiations but is told that he can’t speak for the union and yet, John Chess (Lt) can? How does that work? Because Tom Overson told him that he could? I’m not seeing any pattern here am I? Yes, this is turning out to be one fine union.

I do agree with you that it is time for all members of the union to get together and make a couple of tough decisions. 1) Do you really still want a union (remember this is the union brought up to strike at Godwin not Benton) 2) If you still want a union shouldn’t it be held accountable for having rules and regulations or is the word of Tom it?

Regardless this union will only be as good as you make it. If you are paying dues you should care. Patrol is still the big dog in this and yet they have no voice, only you can fix it.

By the way good job John keep looking out for Tom, you two make a wonderful couple.

PS: John Hood, if I were you I would start wearing a vest)

Well said my brother, I haven't looked at the sight for awhile, but it is always worth a look around promotions time. Same crud as the campbell era. That was a beautiful speech, but lieutenants have been empowered by the current sheriff and if they want to be included in command decisions, stay away from chess. I took his comments as derogotory and demeaning towards the patrol deputys. His intentions are self serving. If he wanted to do whats best for the agency, he wouldn't speak of how great of a union man he is. He can do more good as part of the command staff and work to get the best things for the troops. The others will also lobby for better things and its a win, win situation for all. Why dont you just lock in what she gave us for the contract?

wow

The many of you that post under these petty, slick little screen names must remember one thing: Your lack of spelling ability and grammar quirks (like "deputys"-- I love that one) often reveal your identity to those that may read your reports. Probably more than you think..........

Go ahead and pile on Ouverson or Chess, and make them your latest "project." Do it with a defensive attitude, and be sure to verbally attack a decision that will forever be out of your reach. Preaching all this misdirected hostility really drives home your point.

Darn it voice, should have used smartcops. I believe a period might have been in order in the second line instead of a colon. Or should it have been a semi-colon to continue a thought? "voice" definitely is not a "petty screen name" now is it? This isnt "piling on" as you put it, but its freedom of speech. I didnt use three apostrophies where I should have so I would not reveal my true identity. Deputy, deputy"s, deputies, whats the difference (oops, another missed apostrophy), they are the backbone of the agency. Maybe not everyone can be a detective, but some of the ones who spout off should come back to the road and see whats it like to do police work. After you are done with FTO of course (you know accredidation issues and all that).

Sysop

Demeanor

Greetings,

I'm glad to see this Message Board being used. I even noticed that you have supervisors answering questions and supplying information through it. These same supervisors have even been willing to answer questions using their names in response to anonymous posters. That says a lot.

I mention this as a word of caution. You have something very good going here that could quickly change if anonymous posters get out-of-hand. Please continue to be respectful to those who post and especially to those using their real names. Consider using your real name too when possible, as it adds credibility to your post. Remember, anonymous postings are not given the same right to exist that properly identified postings are. Above all else, please don't ruin this for those who are constructively using this Board.

Thanks for your support!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast