Just saw a stroy about DC helping Sex offenders find homes
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Just saw a stroy about DC helping Sex offenders find homes

a place in Tampa where 11 sex offenders live in a 4 bedroom house where the landlord charges them 80.00 a week. It seeems the probation officers call and see if they scum lord has any room at the inn. WOW , what kind of liability does the department have if one of these guys reoffend and abuse a neighboorhood child and we placed him in the home. I would never arrange housing for a sex offender.

Senior Member LEO Affairs Corporal

Cluster Laws

It's just a matter of time Florida starts passing clustering laws like some of the other states. Tampa is one of the few cities that hasn't adopted the 2,500 foot rule yet. Clustering or proximity rules are bound to effect us eventually. It's best to keep a low profile and keep your cases out of the news if at all possible.

I have no problems with assisting sex offenders with finding suitable housing; however, good judgement such as not placing 10 or 20 at the same registered address which is broadcasted internationally on a public website is not what I would consider good judgement.

I hope DOC has enough sense to watch where we are placing the sex offenders on supervision. Look at the big mess they had in California.....the Parole Chief got fired, all the sex offenders living close to Disneyland had to move, they put GPS monitors on them, on and on.

We can't control what the media or the public will shine the light on next......but we can control clusters and SOs living near places where children congregate.

I would never arrange housing for a sex offender.
    But you would for any other offender? No problem finding a place for a drug dealer to live because even if he does reoffend and get a 10 year-old at the school down the street hooked on heroin, the media won't make a big deal out of it. Right?
    If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
    Louis D. Brandeis
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/.jpg

Right on Mystikwarrior! And congratulations on having the most responses at one time on this here site :lol:

Member LEO Affairs Road Patrol
    Ok, if it is within their orders how do you prevent 100 of them from living in the same house?

Aww, there is much truth in your question, young jedi.

And congratulations on having the most responses at one time on this here site
    Sorry if I seem to be posting a lot early here. But Florida has problems and so does DOC. I want to fix it. For you, the offenders and the public.
    Look at it this way. Line officers don't want Central Office basing policy on what the media has said, is saying or will say. So why would they determine how they treat offenders on the same basis? Doesn't seem right.
    If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
    Louis D. Brandeis
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/.jpg

Hey Mystikwarrior- no disrespect intended by the comment- I like to see people tune in and have something to say- just trying to brighten up this place and have a little fun- keep on writing! :lol:

Re: Cluster Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin
    I have no problems with assisting sex offenders with finding suitable housing; however, good judgement such as not placing 10 or 20 at the same registered address which is broadcasted internationally on a public website is not what I would consider good judgement.
    So would you help place them in a neighborhood that had children of your close relatives Merlin. ?

I let my sex offenders live at Polk County Jail.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast