A couple of recent observations.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A couple of recent observations.

During the past week I attended both the annual HCSO memorial service downtown as well as the Sykes Luncheon at the convention center. I observed some good things and not so good things about both.

First there was the annual memorial. I want to commend the HCSO Honor Guard for the job they did. The hard work that you put into this ceremony was evident and you performed as you always do, professionally and with confidence. Great job. For the deputies that attened the ceremony I'm sure that the familes appreciated your attendance. Which brings me to my first question. Why is this annual memorial ceremony attended by so few of us. The HCSO has a couple thousand sworn deputies as well as a full compliment of civilian support staff. Instead of a token showing we should be filling up that downtown square every year. Our fallen deputies deserve nothing less.

In the recent past there was always food and refreshments provided at the masonic lodge. While there was food and refreshments this year not everyone was invited as has been the case in years past. I was told only corporals and above and family members were allowed inside. No reserve or full time deputies were allowed into the lodge. While an employed deputy is being paid a reserve is not. If the food was limited at least take care of the reserve deputies. They volunteer their time and sweat to the office and deserve to be taken care of.

To the Sykes luncheon. I would first like to thank Mr. Sykes for continuing the annual luncheon and appreciate the effort that his corporation puts into it. Warrich Dunn was indeed a class act and more than deserved to be the keynote speaker at this event. He displayed a great sense of humor as well.

There however was a few things that I think need to be considered. While the Sykes luncheon was attened by a large amount of deputies the afore mentioned memorial was not. Why is this? Do we like a free lunch more than paying respect to our fellen comrades? Something to think about. Also I know that the luncheon is coordinated by Tampa Fire Rescue and they do an alright job. However the video that is displayed could be incorporated to show recognition to all the police and fire agencies in the county and not just Tampa Fire Rescue and Police Department. Also, where was the military presence this year? This community has a rich military tradition and I personally think leaving our armed forces out of this luncheon is a mistake.

Just my personnal opinion and something to think about.

Stay Safe!!!
    "The Nitely Blog"

Memorial vs. Lunch-in

Officers and Deputies are typically not only paid to attend the Sykes Luncneon but forced to as well. The Staff wants a good attendance. Sykes intentions and the event is appreciated, but the Staff goes to great lengths to make sure it is attended well. That, in my opinion, is a big reason why.

Re: Memorial vs. Lunch-in

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry
    Officers and Deputies are typically not only paid to attend the Sykes Luncneon but forced to as well. The Staff wants a good attendance. Sykes intentions and the event is appreciated, but the Staff goes to great lengths to make sure it is attended well. That, in my opinion, is a big reason why.
    Yes it is true, many deputies only go because they are ordered to go by their Sgt, who is only trying to look good to the brass so they can get promoted.

You've got to be kidding!

Let's see, the Sykes Lunchen is:

1. A free meal.

2. On duty time.

3. A chance to socialize.

4. An opportunity not to work.

5. A free meal. Oh, I already said that.

And you want me to believe that cops have to be "forced" to go?

Laughable!

:roll: :roll: :roll:... :shock: :shock: :shock:...

Shameful

I saw an email on the 6th that was sent out 05/03/06 saying the Sykes deal was the next day. That was the first time I had heard about it. Nothing at roll calls, nothing. I had the day off this year and would have attended.

As for the memorial, that is just shameful that more didn't attend. I was there in spirit as I was working that night, down three zones. Allowing only Cpls and above, also shameful. Do it for all or no one at all. Remember the grunts are the ones in harms way every single night trying to cover all the zones while the cpls and up are sitting at the district offices and taking 2 hour lunch breaks.

Stay safe.

There's always SOMEONE who doesn't get the word.

It's strange that you didn't learn about the Sykes luncheon until the day before the event.

An e-mail to "everyone" was sent out TWO MONTHS before the luncheon! Here is a copy of the header of that message:

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 4:32 PM
    To: EVERYONE-EMAIL
    Subject: Our Heroe's Luncheon

The actual message was an attachment. Perhaps you failed to open it. In any event, the word was put out - you just missed it.

:!:

Why is it that the road Deputies get paid and the jail deputies have to go on their own time?

Because.............

........... mom always liked me best.

:P

Maybe...........

............. it's because the Detention side is severely understaffed and they can't spare anyone who is on duty to let them go.

Don't you think that makes sense?

A couple years ago around 2000-2001 I was in detention and we were not understaffed at the time. The memo received stated that you had to go on your own time. When I left work on Holiday time because we has more than enough people there and then found out that the road got paid to go and I had to use my own time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast