SPPD Applicant Questions

Junior Member LEO Affairs Recruit

SPPD Applicant Questions

I know most people here would dissuade applicants from persuing the SPPD, but I hope this thread will help resolve questions, discuss issues, and help people make better overall decisions about their choice to apply.

I have a few questions to start:

1. What makes the SPPD have such an unanimously bad reputation?

2. Is the SPPD a good place to start with? I don't plan on job-hopping, but the SPPD seems like one of the easier places to become certified and get my feet wet. If I like it, great. If not, there are other agencies I can lateral to.

3. How is the cost of living? Is the value of housing there skyrocketing like the panhandle?

Senior Member LEO Affairs Corporal
    Here are the answers to your questions:

1. SPPD is run by a staff that simply does not care about its people. It utilizes the "fear model" management style. The theory is that if everyone is scared S&*%less about being disciplined, the organization will run more efficiently. It may make sense in theory, but not in practice. Supervisors are afraid of lossing their rank, and in turn, micromanage their people. To make matters worse, there are always "exceptions" to the rule that don't get reprimanded for incidents that would probably get another officer fired.

2. Yes, SPPD will offer you great hands on experience in a variety of cultural backgrounds, depending on which district you work. But generally, it's not a good idea to start at one place with the intent to find a better job in the future. You take a hit on senority, retirement, maybe starting pay, the stress of learning new ways of doing things and having to depend on strangers for your personal safety. Its better to stay in one place if you can, and at the current time, SPPD isn't the ideal place. Go to Tampa.

3. Don't even think of buying a home here. You'll pay an outrageous amount up front, and get hammered with insurance, and pay top notch taxes for crappy city services. A dumpy house will cost you 100k now.