Tampa FOP Lodge 27 Poker Night

Junior Member LEO Affairs Recruit

Tampa FOP Lodge 27 Poker Night

To all FOP members and potential members,

Tampa FOP Lodge #27 is sponsoring a FREE Texas Hold’em tournament twice a month (one per cycle so everyone can have a fair chance to play). It costs nothing to play, everyone starts with a set amount of chips and the top three players receive prizes for their efforts (the first tournament, the prizes were $10 gift certificates to Chili’s). Refreshments will be served (not literally, but they will be available for all). Everyone that plays earns participation points and each tournament, the top three finishers receive extra points. The tournaments will run every month this year with the top eight point winners having a December playoff to determine the best (bigger prizes awarded for the top three finishers in the December tournament). You need not be a FOP member to play, however, after three tournaments you must apply for membership to be eligible to continue. Each month, one of the two tournaments for that month will be held on our general membership meeting night so that perspective members can have a steak on us prior to the tournament (only one steak dinner prior to joining…sorry, lodge rules). Immediately following dinner (served from 1730 to 1830) the lodge meeting will be held (usually lasts 45 minutes to an hour), then the tournament begins (at roughly 1930 hours). For those who would like to play, but don’t understand the rules, the first twenty minutes of the tournament will be instructional. After that, the blinds raise and the play gets more serious. Since it’s FREE, what have you got to lose? Come join in the fun and fellowship while earning bragging rights over your peers if you win!

The following are the tournament dates:

May 8th (General Membership meeting night)—cycle A off
    May 22nd—cycle B off

June 12th (GM meeting night)—cycle B off
    June 26th—cycle A off

July 10th (GM meeting night)—cycle A off
    July 31—cycle B off

August 14th (GM meeting night)—cycle A off
    August 24th—cycle B off

September 11th—(GM meeting night)—cycle B off
    September 21st—cycle A off

October 9th—(GM meeting night)—cycle A off
    October 19th—cycle B off

November 13th—(GM meeting night)—cycle B off
    November 16th—cycle A off

December 11th—(GM meeting night)—cycle A off, GRAND FINALE!!!

Lawful Activity

You might want to mention that you checked with the State Attorney and got a determination that this is not a violation of gaming laws (since no player puts up any money) and that the activity is legal at the lodge.

Right?

Re: Lawful Activity

Quote Originally Posted by My Understanding
    You might want to mention that you checked with the State Attorney and got a determination that this is not a violation of gaming laws (since no player puts up any money) and that the activity is legal at the lodge.

Right?

they are doing it at bars all over the place. ABT does not have a problem with it since there is no entry fee.

poker night

You are right. We did check both with the SAO and BATF and both said no problem under the format described.

cards

many of us play cards in the privacy of our own home for a few bucks, is that a big deal?? no entry fee or anything fantsy. just hanging out with fellow co-workers and drinking beer. can we truely get into trouble for this????? or does it matter if your at a lodge/bar????

love to play cards.

It matters.

I take it you are not a cop.

Yes, it does matter if you gamble (risk your money in a game of chance, for gain) in a public venue that is not licensed for the activity.

:idea:

your wrong

no your wrong Jack, you can gamble in the your home as long as the host receives no entry fee and their is no rake to the house. however, I believe there is a limit on the amount per hand you can gamble. but again, you are wrong, you can gamble in your private home not licenseed for gambling. and yes i am a LEO and have played cards with hundreds of other LEO's (including ranked officials) who have gambled a "few" bucks. i think its one of those "who cares" laws that is never enforced. unless your running a major operation out of your home with hundreds of people coming in and out your fine and wont be bothered.

So, Loosen up there chief!!!!

Try again - this time read it.

Wrong? Me? I don't think so.

"Don" you might want to try reading my post again.

I said "public venue." Maybe that was over your head.

I didn't address card games in residences in my post.

A residence is not a public venue.

Need any more help?

:?: