The Forgotten Few

Junior Member LEO Affairs Recruit

The Forgotten Few

Transparency? What transparency? I swear we've heard that there was full transparency with this admin.....

Then why would an email be sent out several months ago roughly outlining the yearly raise with zero mention of top out adjustment? Oh because maybe they didn't want the forgotten few at the top to know months in advance of the shaft they were going to receive come Oct?

What you thought half of a percent top out adjustment was bad last year? Here have another, try 2.87% while the rest of the working force cashes in 10-15%. Absolutely great for them and taking nothing away from that raise because it is outstanding, well deserved and much needed to remain competitive. However, that doesn't mean you completely throw shit at the staff who have remained loyal for their entire career while they spent majority if not all their career being underpaid.

So now we have shortened or compressed (that sounds better) the pay band. So in 5 years are we going to have pay scales that start and top out within 12-15k? Might be a little extreme thought right now but not far fetched if you don't adjust the top. Here's an idea, the start raises approx. 6k then the top raises 6k - doesn't matter about %'s.

Top out Sgt's are at 83k? Cool, Orange County Deputies top out at 80k. But don't worry, we are competitive through and through. Why should top out pay employee's complain? I don't know, maybe because inflation is through the roof this year and this 2.87% or 2.91% doesn't quite make a dent it in. Oh but wait, I forgot about the one time lump of $1500, I mean less than 1500 after taxes but whatever. Like where the hell does that number even come from? Add that to the small percentage and you'll be lucky to have received a third of the value most employees received. Why are the top out employee's not receiving a one-time lump equivalent to the amount of a 10-15% raise like everyone else?

Can we once have a memo come out that actually makes sense and the majority of employees not be confused or have 30 questions after it? It really doesn't seem that hard. They already know the numbers so lets put them out.

Dental premium on a minimal increase? What does minimal mean? Do you know not the number? If you don't then say you don't, if you do then why is it a secret? I'd like to know how much of the minimal raise I am already losing so I can decide if there is enough left to afford the regular cereal box or family size.

Anyone have a clue what LT's and above received as a raise? Or how much their top out pay scale increased? I'd be willing to bet a shiny nickel it was more than the top out Deputies and top out Sgts.

Also, yes I am aware that there are more then a "few" at top out range for Deputies and Sgt's.

Positive note, bravo for them acquiring the budget increase and doing the majority of employee's right. Definitely not taking anything away from them. They just highlighted their opinion or lack thereof about the men and women who've remained loyal.
    Last edited by Lowexpectations; 10-18-2022 at 01:46 AM. Reason: typos

Junior Member LEO Affairs Recruit
    The following numbers are confirmed as accurate through a public records request. Let's shine some light on how the Admin was taken good care of and I mean taking really good care of. The numbers are broken down for classifications of LT's, Capt. and Chiefs (civilians and sworn).

LT -

Min pay increased from 77,525 to 85,009.60 = Increase of 7484.60 or 9.6%
    Max pay increased from 116,288 to 123,260.80 - Increase of 6972.80 or 5.9%

Spot checked individual raises and it appears they range from approximately 3.5% to 9.9%

CAPT -

Min pay increased from 96,238 to 105,019.20 = Increase of 8781.20 or 9.1%
    Max pay increased from 139,545 to 152,276.80 = Increase of 12,731.80 or 9.1%

Spot checked individual raises and it appears they are close to a consistent 10%

And finally my favorite............................the Chiefs

Min pay increased from 119,610 to 137,342.40 = Increase of 17,732.40 or 14.8%
    Max pay increased from 167,454 to 206,203.20 = Increase of 38,549.20 or 23%(Yes Twenty-Three percent)

Thre
    e Chiefs received a 10% increase and three received a 15% increase in pay.

My favorite part is the highest paid Chief's salary was
    165,921.60, which was just under the prior top out of 167,454.00. Could this be the salary of the Chief who oversees the yearly budget? Pretty suspect that just as that person is 1500ish under top out, the top out pay gets increased by 23%!!

Not saying that any of these positions or employees don't deserve a min/max range raise or pay increase but putting it into comparison, I can't seem to find the justification or lack of justification for how dirty they did top out Deputies and Sgt's.

In summary -

Civilian employees - Min 10% pay raise
    Deputies - 10-15% pay raise
    Top out Deputies/Sgt - less than 3% but wait..there's more...act now and get a taxed 1500.00 one-time.
    Lt.s - Min 9.6%/Max 5.9% - Raise varied 3.6% to 9.9%
    Capt. - Min 9.1%/9.1% - Raise appeared consistent around 10%
    Chief - Min 14.8%/Max 23% - Raise 10-15%

Again for those in the back that can't wrap their head around it - Chiefs top out pay increased 38,549.20! compared to roughly 2,000 for a top Deputy or Sgt. The highest paid Chief received a raise of 16,598.40!

Hasn't Sheriff talked about being competitive in pay across the state or at least locally? Well maybe we are now with the starting pay increase and the Admin ranks but we are not even close with Deputy and Sgt top out pay. Orange County is slated to be over 90k in next year or 2.

Guess these old salty vets with longevity and loyalty are today's trash. But these are the backbone of the agency, the men and women in the trenches..............................hmmmmmmmmmmm ?

And if anyone thinks it was just an oversight, ask yourself why the memo didn't address top out months ago and why it was hush hush afterwards. Rumor is the Sheriff was directly asked and he didn't have an answer. Who is driving the bus here?

This needs attention and questions need to be answered. Maybe the media needs to start poking around but it appears a select few are taking care of their own.