Lateral transfer from NYPD to Lakeland

Unregistered

Lateral transfer from NYPD to Lakeland

Hello all,

So I’m sure you’ve gotten questions like this somewhere on this forum already but I’m trying to shift through them all for the specific info I need and it’s getting overwhelming.

Long story short I’m a current NYPD officer with over 4 years in service and I’m looking to make a lateral transfer to the Lakeland police department with my boyfriend who has about 5 years in service. We’ve already been in contact with the recruiter who of course has nothing but nice things to say about the department.
    We understand that (just like in any job) Lakeland PD will probably have some cons but we want to get an overall review of what some current employees think about their department and if they ever regretted joining Lakeland.

What is the morale in the department?
    Is there room for movement (ie promotions or different units)?
    What union are you part of and any review of your them?
    What kind of schedule are you on?
    What’s the work-life balance?
    Call frequency?

And anything else you’d like to mention would be greatly appreciated! I want honesty!
    - I don’t want to leave NYPD and my family in NY to be miserable in a different state

Unregistered
    Lakeland was the premier agency years ago, but for several reasons is average at best in today's time. Social security isn't withdrawn by the city so that will hurt you long term. Employees contribute a substantial percentage of their paycheck for a 25 and out retirement. Not much support from city leaders...the last contract took forever for the city to sign. As far as movement, there are specialty units, but nothing like a larger agency would be use to. You have to play the system and be favored for an easy ride.