Tpd vs hcso
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tpd vs hcso

Unregistered

Tpd vs hcso

What are the pros and cons of each agency.

*potential applicant 8 years in coming from a neighboring SO*

Unregistered
    TPD: 20 year retirement
    HCSO: 30 year retirement

TPD pay is higher and you can buy back 5 years of your previous LEO time and DROP at 15 years

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    TPD: 20 year retirement
    HCSO: 30 year retirement

TPD pay is higher and you can buy back 5 years of your previous LEO time and DROP at 15 years
    How’s the insurance at TPD? What about the Detail pay rate?

Unregistered
    Not trying to give you the “jerk “answer. But you really need to call personnel with those type of questions. Half the answers you get on this forum are going to be sarcastic or because of the nature of anonymously posting, jaded, and not accurate. Just call personnel they’ll give you the right answers to most of these questions

Unregistered
    How’s the insurance at TPD? What about the Detail pay rate?
    TPD HCSO
    20 years vs 30 years
    3.15% Vs 3.00% multiplier
    Cola in retirement vs no cola in HCSO FRS retirement
    2.5 officers per 1000 citizens vs 1.3 deputies per 1000 - more man power in smaller geographical
    Area at TPD means back up is around the corner, at HCSO you will often be by yourself with back up 15 minutes away in some parts of the county.

20% higher pay per hour at TPD

TPD extra duty details: $36, $39, $51 many jobs paying $53 and above take home for details which are essentially unlimited as dozens of jobs go unfilled every week. Max is 30 hours a week (120 a month) without a waiver. Can start working extra duty right away

HCSO $36 and $39 with almost no jobs paying in the $50s take home, less jobs to go around with a max of 72 hours per month. Have to wait 18 months to work extra duty.

Free health care for single officers at TPD vs no free health care at HCSO, family plans are cheaper at TPD.

TPD has Union, HCSO does not. Although our union isn’t powerful like up north unions it does make a difference. Discipline isn’t handed out as often and as severe as it as at HCSO because of our grievance process. You are basically an at will employee at HCSO with no protection and no real grievance process since they stripped civil services power.

Everything is better at TPD except gear, nicer gear at HCSO.

Unregistered
    TPD HCSO
    20 years vs 30 years
    3.15% Vs 3.00% multiplier
    Cola in retirement vs no cola in HCSO FRS retirement
    2.5 officers per 1000 citizens vs 1.3 deputies per 1000 - more man power in smaller geographical
    Area at TPD means back up is around the corner, at HCSO you will often be by yourself with back up 15 minutes away in some parts of the county.

20% higher pay per hour at TPD

TPD extra duty details: $36, $39, $51 many jobs paying $53 and above take home for details which are essentially unlimited as dozens of jobs go unfilled every week. Max is 30 hours a week (120 a month) without a waiver. Can start working extra duty right away

HCSO $36 and $39 with almost no jobs paying in the $50s take home, less jobs to go around with a max of 72 hours per month. Have to wait 18 months to work extra duty.

Free health care for single officers at TPD vs no free health care at HCSO, family plans are cheaper at TPD.

TPD has Union, HCSO does not. Although our union isn’t powerful like up north unions it does make a difference. Discipline isn’t handed out as often and as severe as it as at HCSO because of our grievance process. You are basically an at will employee at HCSO with no protection and no real grievance process since they stripped civil services power.

Everything is better at TPD except gear, nicer gear at HCSO.
    My brother! Thank you for taking the time to provide an in-depth response. I truly appreciate it!

Unregistered
    People have left HCSO, PCSO and Pasco S.O. to come to TPD, no one goes from TPD to HCSO.

Unregistered
    Did y’all forget TPD currently paying over 15 percent into the pension? Let’s do some math on some estimated figures

$100,000 salary minus 15 percent = $85,000

5 years buyback of your current pension will cost your over $80,000 at TPD. Can you get a personal loan or do ya got $80k Sittin in your savings. It’s not realistic.

Nice option to leave at 20 years but can you live off 65 percent of your salary ?

All agencies have pros and cons. Funny how we are holding calls daily in my zone but y’all wanna say how much staff is out there. Writing civil stolen vehicles ??? Give me a break. Driving old ass crown Vic in 2021? I spoke to a deputy last week been out 1.5 years and has a brand new loaded Tahoe. They got rid of all crown Vic’s over a year ago. Equipment sucks and makes the job harder than it is.

Also, HCSO has free health care for single along with a free clinic that is strictly Hcso employees only. I saw they are offering a sign on bonus now. In this area you won’t go wrong with either agency good luck.

Unregistered
    Did y’all forget TPD currently paying over 15 percent into the pension? Let’s do some math on some estimated figures

5 years buyback of your current pension will cost your over $80,000 at TPD. Can you get a personal loan or do ya got $80k Sittin in your savings. It’s not realistic.

Nice option to leave at 20 years but can you live off 65 percent of your salary ?

All agencies have pros and cons. Funny how we are holding calls daily in my zone but y’all wanna say how much staff is out there. Writing civil stolen vehicles ??? Give me a break. Driving old ass crown Vic in 2021? I spoke to a deputy last week been out 1.5 years and has a brand new loaded Tahoe. They got rid of all crown Vic’s over a year ago. Equipment sucks and makes the job harder than it is.

Also, HCSO has free health care for single along with a free clinic that is strictly Hcso employees only. I saw they are offering a sign on bonus now. In this area you won’t go wrong with either agency good luck.

Lmao there are calls holding in your zone because you won’t get out from underneath that tree.

Unregistered

HCSO pays 3% into FRS and 6.2% into social security so factor that when you factoring how much TPD pays into pension. Also FRS has no COLA in retirement, a college kid becomes a deputy at 22 does 30 years, retires at 52… lives 40 years into retirement till 92. How is he supposed to survive in his 70’s and 80’s when inflation ate his retirement check up that had no COLA. Even his “social security” benefits will be reduced due to his “pension”.

If you think your zone is holding too many calls get with a real deputy out on patrol. They can’t have more than 2 deputies at any location per GPS, if the scene is stabilized t8 copy one of the next 4 calls stacked to you. Almost a million residents in their jurisdiction, they don’t pull call numbers for the t10s and the 74s you are used to miking, go look at how manny calls they are at for the year, half the man power with 300,000 more calls than us. They don’t have an evening squad, 6 day shift deputies 1 or 2 mid shift cars if you lucky, usually none, and 6 midnight deputies who have to answer twice as many calls in twice the geographical area. It is not uncommon for deputies to stay late handling routine 73s on a weekly basis, when was the last time you had to stay past your t7 time to handle that holding 73 in your zone???

Don’t put anything down on your buy back if you have no savings or nothing to roll over cause you broke, it’s taken out pre tax saving you money on taxes. Pick up 4 shifts a month at TGH, St Joes, Wawa, Walmart, Stadium, Arena, or all of the numerous other places paying $53 and above take home, that’s $1,700 a month which more than covers your buy back. Let me guess you want your cake and you want to eat it to, can’t be bothered to work for it even when you don’t already have the 80K.

No place is perfect but before you shit on your TPD, realize it is the best option for local departments in the area.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast