What’s your thoughts on IG resignation - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Unregistered
    Fort Myers City Council members vote in favor of an independent investigation into FMPD
    Published:November 15, 2021 5:16 PM EST

At any point, Fort Myers City Council could call for an independent investigation into the Fort Myers Police Department.

An internal FMPD investigation cleared the department of accusations that it misled taxpayers over the cost of a new police headquarters. City council members say this needs to be looked into further.

Four Fort Myers City Council members are on record calling for an independent investigation. Those council members ordered the Fort Myers City Manager to perform that investigation. Councilman Johnny Streets plans to bring it up at Monday evening’s City Council meeting.

Council then voted to conduct the independent investigation. This is due to allegations of corruption.

Former Inspector General for FMPD Donald Oswald accused former Major William Newhouse of giving an unethical order. He told a lieutenant not to talk with the council about the cost overruns in constructing the new police headquarters.

That international investigation came back unfounded. Fort Myers City Councilman Liston Bouchette says he wants the independent investigation because the internal investigation was performed by an investigator who worked for Newhouse.

“If you’re the whistleblower or you’re the critic, you need to have an ear that’s not owning to anybody. Chief… his duties are to take care of his department stop crime so this would be really in best keeping for good government outside,” said Bouchette.

Fort Myers Mayor Kevin Anderson said the appearance that the police department wasn’t transparent is enough to initiate the independent investigation.

The motion to investigate passed 5-2. Now, it’s up to the City Manager to hire someone to do it. The city plans to investigate whether Major Newhouse gave an unethical order.

Newhouse told WINK News that he would participate in any new investigation saying, “I’ve got nothing to hide.”

Reporter: Dannielle Garcia

Unregistered
    I find it interesting that Newhouse resigns, gets an attorney, says he will cooperate, and now his attorney will not get back to anyone. I hope the entire regime falls on this one let alone all of their other schemes. I would love to see JG in a twist of fate pushing DD around in a wheel chair.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I find it interesting that Newhouse resigns, gets an attorney, says he will cooperate, and now his attorney will not get back to anyone. I hope the entire regime falls on this one let alone all of their other schemes. I would love to see JG in a twist of fate pushing DD around in a wheel chair.
    Let’s think about this. He’s retired. Why cooperate? Why even investigate it? We don’t want the IG back and no one else here is qualified to replace the chief so let’s just move on with business

Unregistered
    Independent investigation into FMPD will focus on higher-ranking officers and possible retaliation
    Published:November 16, 2021 5:44 PM EST

Top officials at the Fort Myers Police Department will be at the center of an independent investigation.

The city manager opened the door to examining whether command staff, including Chief Derrick Diggs, retaliated in any way after former Inspector General Donald Oswald asked for an internal affairs investigation into then Maj. William Newhouse.

Oswald pointed his finger at Diggs before he quit.

In his resignation letter, Oswald said: “I have endured overt retaliation and I am now being forced out of my position. … While my departure may be considered to be a voluntary one … The fact of the matter is I have been left with no other option.”

During his first sit-down interview with WINK News, Oswald hinted he has proof or retaliation against him by Diggs that will eventually become public.

David Thomas, an FGCU professor of forensic studies, said Oswald alluded to this not being the first time something like this happened between him and the chief or command staff.

Fort Myers Mayor Kevin Anderson wants to know what happened.

That’s why he and the majority of the council voted for an independent investigation into the allegations made of the police department.

“If it was inappropriate what do we do to prevent it from reoccurring,” Anderson said.

Oswald told WINK News the atmosphere at the police department was “almost intolerable.”

“I was dismissed from the chief’s office, by him yelling, you know, dismissed,” Oswald told WINK News. “I was marginalized to the point that I was never called into another meeting.”

The city could have decided to just take a look at the internal affairs investigation into Newhouse, who retired on Nov. 4 but instead is also looking at any possible retaliation.

“If it happened, it should be obvious,” Anderson said.

Anderson said it’s up to the city manager what happens next.

A Fort Myers Police Department spokesperson, “Our department does not operate in the fashion. We will allow the external investigation process to run its course.”

Reporter: Dannielle Garcia

https://www.winknews.com/2021/11/16/...e-retaliation/

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678