Why doesn’t this agency modify, change, or suspend certain sections of SOPs due to being critically short staffed?

“Short staffed. Limited menu”. Even minimum wages restaurant managers have the brains and balls to do it.

Here is a freebee. We do not have the manpower to support the section in the calls for service sop that says no call will hold for the next shift. I believe that if the call is not important enough for K9, aviation, a detective call out, crime scene, or a supervisor…. Then it can hold. Be honest and explain that calls will have to hold because we are shorthanded. You can’t push the few deputies we have harder to make up for being short handed. Deputies quit from the non stop going home 3 hours late because of a $50.00 shop lift call or simple battery calls that will be no filed. In the mornings, between 0400-0700 hours, most calls have to do with crazy people, bums, and stupid people doing stupid stuff. Why are night shift deputies doing photo packs 2 hours after their shifts are up and going home 3 hours late over misdemeanor calls? These are the things my friends - zone partners, that have left, complained about. Not the crime, not the death, not the danger, bloody vehicle crashes, and so on... The BS made them quit. The preventable crap.

When day shift, mid shift, and nightshift begin to argue over holding calls getting dumped on their squad, they can STOP and see the the problem is not the other shift. It’s the agency’s failure to give them the tools and time we need to do our jobs. Why do we blame each other? Why not stick together and hold our leaders accountable? We can’t make up for a major failure in our deployment.

This is a common practice, let us fight amongst each other and blame each other for the agency’s negligence. I think it’s designed this way. Maybe matching the SOPs to our staffing levels could be a step in right direction to make things better.