Vacancies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacancies

Unregistered

Vacancies

In a press conference with AG Ashley Moody this week the Sheriff stated we are 330 deputies short. Not including the 60 positions authorized by the BOCC. Which equals approximately 18 Million dollars in pay which is not being used. Why is that money being offered to overtime positions daily to help staff the districts every day? We have the money why not let everyone benefit from it?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    In a press conference with AG Ashley Moody this week the Sheriff stated we are 330 deputies short. Not including the 60 positions authorized by the BOCC. Which equals approximately 18 Million dollars in pay which is not being used. Why is that money being offered to overtime positions daily to help staff the districts every day? We have the money why not let everyone benefit from it?
    I been asking this for years. Why doesn’t anyone ask WHY we are so short? Or WHY so many are leaving? Nobody applying is a lame excuse. We have to plug the leak. I believe this was the whole plan all along. Keep us short for more play money. At what cost though? Hidden in all that, is the reason why so many are quitting. The burnout. I guess looking good by running a sheriff’s office at minimal staffing at the lowest budget does have a side effect after all. Burnout and resignations for the actual first responders. Now with this anti cop climate, they can’t keep the revolving door of dumb blind deputies coming in and out revolving. The plan of keeping rookies here just long enough to justify the training but not long enough to max out in pay and getting smart by catching on to the the games they play is no longer working. Keep them new and dumb is over with. Not no more. Not with the anti cop narrative. It’s just an emergency exit door now. Not a revolving one. The door is now uses to jump ship from the burnout. I really hope one day they can pull out of this very steep dive.

Unregistered
    Wow, a decade or more ago the agency was 300 short. You guys made it sound like things have drastically gotten worse and that many have quit. Only 30 deputies, divided by 5 Districts. What a bunch of wussies that have been crying on this site for all of this time, geez!

Unregistered
    Wow, a decade or more ago the agency was 300 short. You guys made it sound like things have drastically gotten worse and that many have quit. Only 30 deputies, divided by 5 Districts. What a bunch of wussies that have been crying on this site for all of this time, geez!
    THIS!👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍Thanks for the real life stats.

Who did we blame being short on 10 years ago? 20 years ago? Fact is, we've ALWAYS been short.

Unregistered

Shortage

You’re right about being short for years. But, part of the reason we were short, when I started, was due to a population explosion and trying to get people through the hiring process fast enough to keep up. No matter how good we were at that we always lagged behind, due to various reasons.

Then of course came the Gee/Docobo years and we know how that worked out.
    When I started, which was well before any of the current deputies were a twinkle in their daddy’s eye, if someone retired/resigned, it was big news and a shock. People stayed here for 30+ years because they liked it, not because they had to.

I’m well past the eligibility time to retire, but I have a longer term retirement plan, so staying now is strictly a financial decision. No, I don’t hate the job, but I don’t like the current negative attitude toward the police, nor do I like the way HCSO policing philosophies have taken hold. As far as internal strife, narcissism, negative re-enforcement, etc, it blows, but, unfortunately the grunts can’t change it.

Like a previous poster said, “people don’t quit jobs, they quit people.” Unfortunately, HCSO has quit on their people.

Unregistered
    Are you kidding? A decade ago there was HALF the amount of subdivisions, apartments, schools, strip malls, department stores, and so on. I was born and raised in this county and and a deputy here and I take seeing this county fall apart personally. Ten years ago we were not required to do half the CRAP we do now. When I started there were no 730 reports, no RPO’s, and the MEO responded to all deaths and took all the meds. Short form reports and those are just a few examples. Sounds trivial, but small things like that made this job, not just doable, but fun. Patrol was simply patrol. Not a dumping ground. Stand alone CRA reports. No dailies, the desk handled blotters. Detectives handled alerts and photo packs. Now everything is dumped on us. 300 down is non excusable with everything they put on us today. Moron! Don’t discredit how short handed we are. Your asss kissing fools our leaders into thinking we are ok out there. We are not!

Unregistered

Shortage

I’m fully aware of the additional BS that is done now, that was not done when I started in the 80’s. The population boom started in northwest Hillsborough, then moved to the east and now to the southeast. Yes, I’ve been in patrol my entire career and I am a supervisor. I’m on your side. It’s a $h!t show.

I too was born and raised here. The politicians want everyone to move here, but they don’t want to keep up with the infrastructure, i. e. police, fire, roadways. Your biggest job now is to be as safe as you can and watch out for each other.

Unregistered
    What was the population in this county ten years ago vs today? Your post only makes the agency look worse. Basically after ten years this agency still can’t staff us or refuses to staff us. One way or the other, it’s 100% negligence. This agency is almost 200 years old. That’s two centuries old. I think 175 to be exact. How the FUK has it not figured out the basics?

Unregistered
    Your right, the Office has never placed a priority on staffing. They’re too busy with fluff. As far as the population, there are more people here then there were 10 years ago. And, there will be more people here tomorrow then there are today.

We are more short then what is actually presented. Remember, the officer to citizen ratio includes ALL deputies, but we all know 1/3 of those guys aren’t handling calls. When people call for the police, they want to see an officer in uniform, not JC holding a camera.

Unregistered
    Hiring is not the problem. Sure it’s tougher with this generation liberals and anti police garbage, but the real problem is officers leaving. This job can not be done for 30 years or even 25. Too much risk. Too much danger. Too much liability. Used to be only danger, but now, we have been allowed to be used as sacrifices to the social media juries and liberal scum. With nobody speaking up to explain why we do what we do. Why it’s ok for cops to go home alive. You will reap what you sow. For failing to defend us. Collectively as a country too. Money, benefits, and stuff is not going to fix it. A real paradigm change will have to occur. Like it did for the sanitation workers in NYC in 1969. The garbage will have to fill the streets before leaders take action. Not because they care, but because they would have to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast