City to purchase body cams for LPD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

City to purchase body cams for LPD

Well, I'm glad the city "leaders" decided to spend over a million dollars on body cameras for the police officers in Lakeland. (Sarcasm intended). Most cars are equipped with dash cameras now, but I guess that isn't good enough. A better decision for the money would have been to put more Officers on the street. For years, Lakeland has grown and demanded more resources from the police department, yet failed to keep pace by hiring more Officers. The mentality was "do more with less", which is idiotic. Do a study over the last 20 years of the average response time to an emergency call and you'll see what I'm talking about. Hey, but at least our folks in uniform will be recorded in everything they do. I say what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Buy one for every commissioner, the mayor, Assistant City Managers, City Manager and all Department heads, especially your HR director. If you can't trust someone wearing your uniform, get rid of them. Cameras are just a costly "feel good" measure to appease those who don't trust police officers in general. Cameras aren't going to fix that. What a mistake the city made by choosing bwcs.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Well, I'm glad the city "leaders" decided to spend over a million dollars on body cameras for the police officers in Lakeland. (Sarcasm intended). Most cars are equipped with dash cameras now, but I guess that isn't good enough. A better decision for the money would have been to put more Officers on the street. For years, Lakeland has grown and demanded more resources from the police department, yet failed to keep pace by hiring more Officers. The mentality was "do more with less", which is idiotic. Do a study over the last 20 years of the average response time to an emergency call and you'll see what I'm talking about. Hey, but at least our folks in uniform will be recorded in everything they do. I say what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Buy one for every commissioner, the mayor, Assistant City Managers, City Manager and all Department heads, especially your HR director. If you can't trust someone wearing your uniform, get rid of them. Cameras are just a costly "feel good" measure to appease those who don't trust police officers in general. Cameras aren't going to fix that. What a mistake the city made by choosing bwcs.
    Wear you BWC and shut up. There is nothing you can do about it.

Unregistered
    Cowboy days are over fellas, time to start doing it right lol.

Unregistered
    Wear you BWC and shut up. There is nothing you can do about it.
    Sure there is. I can go to the Sheriff's Office where the Sheriff runs his agency, not the county commission.

Unregistered
    [QUOTE=Unregistered;3320277]Cowboy days are over fellas, time to start doing it right lol.[/QUOTE

You honestly have no clue, just like the folks who wanted these miracle devices. Just remember the old adage, "be careful what you ask for". The first time one is used against those who cried for them, it will be bittersweet.

Unregistered
    [QUOTE=Unregistered;3320872]
    Cowboy days are over fellas, time to start doing it right lol.[/QUOTE

You honestly have no clue, just like the folks who wanted these miracle devices. Just remember the old adage, "be careful what you ask for". The first time one is used against those who cried for them, it will be bittersweet.
    If your main worry is that you will get caught doing something while wearing the camera that you wouldn't without wearing a camera, then you have no right to wear the uniform in the first place. You should hang it up and go work somewhere your integrity is not essential to your job. Our officers wear and love the cameras. They have saved more "good" officers careers and helped weed out the bad apples like you. Cameras are the future. They are an independent witness to all that happens around you. I would think you would be excited. Time for you to reconsider your career path.

Unregistered
    [QUOTE=Unregistered;3322872]

If your main worry is that you will get caught doing something while wearing the camera that you wouldn't without wearing a camera, then you have no right to wear the uniform in the first place. You should hang it up and go work somewhere your integrity is not essential to your job. Our officers wear and love the cameras. They have saved more "good" officers careers and helped weed out the bad apples like you. Cameras are the future. They are an independent witness to all that happens around you. I would think you would be excited. Time for you to reconsider your career path.
    Thumbs up to this!

Unregistered
    [QUOTE=Unregistered;3322872]

That would get you an academy award at city hall, but it isn't real life. You can be legally justified in doing your job and if it's captured on video, it can quickly turn into public scrutiny at best and unjustified in the public's eyes at worst. Pray that you never have a bad day and do something "human" that in reality is no big deal, but could cost you your job because it lives in infamy on video. Either you aren't an experienced street cop yet or perhaps you are someone that skipped that step and went up the golden ladder too soon or didn't stay in patrol long enough. Keep drinking the Kool aid and you'll be wearing gold in no time. Oh, by the way, since you mentioned integrity, pcso does not have cameras and has more integrity than any agency in your county. Good luck and be sure to smile when your long awaited camera is on. By the way, I do hope they weed out the ones that don't do their job, there are plenty out there. However. I feel sorry for the good ones that have one bad day and make the national news for an honest mistake that gets blown out of proportion.

Unregistered
    First of all, I'm not a bad apple. There are several in your agency who need cameras to make sure they do their job. I'm not one of them. Who I worry about is the good officer who has a bad day or makes an honest mistake and gets raked over the coals for it. If you don't believe that can happen, you haven't been on the job long enough or are naive. As far as integrity, pcso probably has the most integrity of any agency in the county and they don't wear cameras. Maybe that says something.

Unregistered
    First of all, I'm not a bad apple. There are several in your agency who need cameras to make sure they do their job. I'm not one of them. Who I worry about is the good officer who has a bad day or makes an honest mistake and gets raked over the coals for it. If you don't believe that can happen, you haven't been on the job long enough or are naive. As far as integrity, pcso probably has the most integrity of any agency in the county and they don't wear cameras. Maybe that says something.
    Wear your camera and shut up you worthless scum. Sorry you can’t violate people’s civil rights anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast