Application
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Application

Real Applicant

Application

Hey, hopefully I don’t get flamed for this but I have several questions about your agency.

I’m currently sworn I got about five years on the job at an agency in Southwest Florida, roughly making about 55K a year, looking to move up into the Polk County area and seen that the sheriffs office there was hiring... would like to know some ins and outsas far as shifts (12s), pay raises and how long it takes to get into a specialty unit?

It says on the website that they pay for experience and something about a bonus for coming on board with them. Any advice and serious help will be appreciated.

Unregistered
    —12 hour shifts.
    —Pay raises have been steady for last...7 years or so? Annual step increase plus COLA raise. Didn’t get raises during recession.
    —Specialty units depends. Can get onto street crimes within a year if yours squared away. Other units anywhere from 18 months + depending on your level of competence and work output.
    —Experience pay—you will come in at 1/2 the step you have in experience. So if you’ve got 6 years you will come in step 3. 10 years step 5. Etc.

Applicant1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    —12 hour shifts.
    —Pay raises have been steady for last...7 years or so? Annual step increase plus COLA raise. Didn’t get raises during recession.
    —Specialty units depends. Can get onto street crimes within a year if yours squared away. Other units anywhere from 18 months + depending on your level of competence and work output.
    —Experience pay—you will come in at 1/2 the step you have in experience. So if you’ve got 6 years you will come in step 3. 10 years step 5. Etc.

What is the step pay scale? What does step 3 start out as?

Is there frequent shift bids? Nights, days, mids?

Unregistered
    What does step 1,2,3 in the pay scale begin at?

Are they’re rotating schedules or strait shifts?

How often do you bid shifts or change shifts?

What vehicles and cad system do you use? Tracs, David etc..?

Unregistered
    What’s your tattoo policy and take home vehicles? Explorers and f150’s?

Unregistered
    Starting pay is $48k and I think step 5 is about $55k, max is step 10 at about $64k. Starting out, plan to be in an Impala for a couple years. We started buying v6 chargers in 2016. We use Tiburon and ARS but are actively looking for a new dispatch and report writing system because it's outdated.

Unregistered
    Shift bids apply for more or less the calendar year, days or nights. No visible tattoos. Either don't have them or cover them up with long sleeves.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Starting pay is $48k and I think step 5 is about $55k, max is step 10 at about $64k. Starting out, plan to be in an Impala for a couple years. We started buying v6 chargers in 2016. We use Tiburon and ARS but are actively looking for a new dispatch and report writing system because it's outdated.
    Go to Tampa they start around 60k. Mid range is in the high 70’s and the top pay for an MPO this September is 98k. They also have take home cars to bordering counties. I think they work 4 on and 4 off (11.5) hour shifts. The pension is 20 and out at 63%.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Applicant View Post
    Hey, hopefully I don’t get flamed for this but I have several questions about your agency.

I’m currently sworn I got about five years on the job at an agency in Southwest Florida, roughly making about 55K a year, looking to move up into the Polk County area and seen that the sheriffs office there was hiring... would like to know some ins and outsas far as shifts (12s), pay raises and how long it takes to get into a specialty unit?

It says on the website that they pay for experience and something about a bonus for coming on board with them. Any advice and serious help will be appreciated.
    Go somewhere else, if you aren't a good old boy and play their game you won't last. The whole Grady on TV thing is an absolute facade.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Applicant View Post

If you love licking boots then this might be the place for you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast