Hiring and Transition Academy

Lt Michael

Hiring and Transition Academy

First off, I realize this forum is only for Tampa PD officers, which I'm not, but I'm still one of you guys. I have a few questions about the hiring process and the transition class at the academy.

I have read alot of the negative comments on here, but TPD has been my dream ever since I was a kid. I just turned 20 and I graduated High School with Honors a couple years ago. I was part of my Police Explorer post and I was a Lt. After high school graduation I became a security officer for one of our local malls. Although we aren't armed, I got my Security G license anyway and I went to the range with our security officers that work armed posts last year. I'm pretty good at the range and I keep my targets to prove it. Should I turn in my targets to the recruiter when I fill out my application? Some of our officers do carry pepper spray and handcuffs, so technically we are armed. To be able to carry the handcuffs I had to go through the defensive tactics class and show that I knew how to use them. I bought a pair of those ASP handcuffs and I got one of those long handcuff keys too. Since I've always wanted to be a TPD officer, I like doing traffic stops, but we aren't supposed to do that in our Security vehicles. But I do lead my squad on parking warnings. The mall manager gave me an award for productivity last month.

Also, I was reading about the transitional class. Do you think I could qualify for this? Since I do drive a security suv all shift and we had to take a driving test, I don't think I need that part of the academy. Also, we had a minor fender bender in the parking lot last month and since the Police Officer that responded knows I know how to fill out the report he left it for me to fill out for the drivers, so I know how to do those accident reports too. I kept one of the copies for our files at the mall, do you think I should make a copy for the recruiter?

My second or third month on the job I had a shoplifter at Claire's that ran from me. I was able to chase her down and handcuff her until the Police arrived. Before the officer even got there I had all the paperwork filled out (trespass warning, statement, etc).

I also read that TPD has K9, but it takes a year or more before you can get a K9. My father used to breed German Shepherds and I used to help him train them. I still have one that is 6 years old that I take out for runs every night. Sometimes I hide a treat in my car and make him find it like I've seen on the recruiting videos. Do you think they will waive the one year requirement since I have this experience?

When I go to the academy can I bring my own sleeping bag or do they have one there for me to use. Also, do I have to take a shower with other guys or do I get my own bathroom? Also, I know it isn't really a priority, but does the dorm room get cable tv or should I ask my mom for the Netflix password?

Thank you in advance for your responses. Be safe out there Brothers, I hope to be out there with you soon.

Lt. Michael

Unregistered
    This can't be serious..right??

Unregistered
    It’s pretty pathetic that someone would take the time to write this as a spoof....

Unregistered
    There’s no way. It’s like a child who plays cops and robbers.

Unregistered
    My cousin works in a small department outside of Boston. His wife was diagnosed with cancer two years ago. She is in remission after battling the cancer for two years at a cost of 1.2 million dollars. Will our healthcare trust cover our spouses is this happens to us. What if the healthcare trust got hit with four of of souses got cancer at the same time. Is there enough money in the trust fund to cover our loved ones in they come down with cancer or COVID-19?