COVID and FTO

Thread: COVID and FTO

Unregistered

COVID and FTO

With COVID still hanging around, and schools opening soon, what’s FTO like? How proactive can you get in a school? How is the FTO program?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    With COVID still hanging around, and schools opening soon, what’s FTO like? How proactive can you get in a school? How is the FTO program?
    We are geared more towards addressing safety issues within the schools, building relationships, and mentoring students. Like I was told when I was hired, "we are not about tickets and arrest, we are about mentoring and education." If you have problems in your school that require a proactive approach, it can be addressed on a case-by-case basis. I'm not saying being proactive in discouraged, but we are not traditional police department. Some people end up leaving us because we are not a traditional agency, and they are looking for action. In a busy high school you could identify and document gang members. Some officers find time to do traffic enforcement in front of their assigned schools as well.

The FTO program seems to vary. I have seen officers with a lot of experience come to us and spend 2 days in FTO, those without prior will have a longer FTO.

Unregistered
    Is there any in-house or in-service training before going out on the road?

Unregistered
    Are you hired yet?

Unregistered
    Are you hired yet?
    Obviously not if someone’s asking

Unregistered
    About two weeks, maybe a little less.