Low morale on road
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Unregistered

Low morale on road

The morale of road deputies is so low. I haven't been here long enough to remember the golden days like some of you veterans of the agency talk about, but I can't imagine it ever being worse than it is now. I like Sheriff Lemma, but in his open forum discussions I've heard him say things like "we should promote good people, test scores aren't all that matters, etc etc".

Why are most road deputies I talk to miserable with their leadership(or lack of)? Road Sergeants should trust their guys and girls to do their jobs and only get involved when needed. Why do so many people that work in North and South region overnights want to leave with having less than a couple years with the agency? I know several deputies with less than a couple years that are already looking for new agencies to work for because their sergeants are nightmares.

If the goal was to promote "good people", why are we ending up with micromanagers that treat their people like trash? Sergeants KW and TB come to mind. We will continue to lose good people, and this agency will become worse until people like that are pushed out or forced to correct their behavior.

Spike, if you read this, can you maybe comment on this issue?

Spike Hopkins
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The morale of road deputies is so low. I haven't been here long enough to remember the golden days like some of you veterans of the agency talk about, but I can't imagine it ever being worse than it is now. I like Sheriff Lemma, but in his open forum discussions I've heard him say things like "we should promote good people, test scores aren't all that matters, etc etc".

Why are most road deputies I talk to miserable with their leadership(or lack of)? Road Sergeants should trust their guys and girls to do their jobs and only get involved when needed. Why do so many people that work in North and South region overnights want to leave with having less than a couple years with the agency? I know several deputies with less than a couple years that are already looking for new agencies to work for because their sergeants are nightmares.

If the goal was to promote "good people", why are we ending up with micromanagers that treat their people like trash? Sergeants KW and TB come to mind. We will continue to lose good people, and this agency will become worse until people like that are pushed out or forced to correct their behavior.

Spike, if you read this, can you maybe comment on this issue?
    Since I was asked, I'll give you my thoughts. Until the day I retired, I loved being a deputy sheriff. I looked forward to coming to work everyday. It bothers me, having what I believe is the best job in the world, the SCSO deputies morale is at an all time low. Don't get me wrong, I've had a few bad bosses in my time, but for the most part, the supervisors left us alone and allowed us to do our job. I could not imagine going to work being more worried about my supervisor than the people who want to hurt me on the streets.

On my web site is a section to SCSO employees. I hope you can read this sometime. https://spikeforseminolesheriff.com/...scso-employees

I want leaders not supervisors. You will read part of my promotion process will be a peer review. (This will also be done for yearly evaluations) This will be done anonymously by the personnel who work directly with the promotional candidate. I want to know if the deputy who wants to be a corporal or sergeant, is a slacker, call dodger or if they are a team player who is competent to lead. The same goes for a corporal wishing to be a sergeant or a sergeant wanting to be a lieutenant. Are they never around? Do they never answer the radio or phone? Are they MIA? Do they micro-manage or make up their own policy? Do they lead and share workloads when possible? This is very important to me. I will take into consideration if one disgruntle person trashes the candidate but the other co-workers only sing their praise.

I also want to put out an anonymous web based survey when I arrive. I want know the peers thoughts on all supervisors throughout the agency. I want to have leadership classes and let the current supervisors know what's expected from them. No leading by intimidation or micro-managing. I expect road supervisors to help out with calls for service, act as a back up if needed and do police work while 10-8. (I understand they have administrative duties also) No more leading from the office or coffee shop.

I am not here to overwork anyone but have us all work together as a team.

I look forward to coming out on patrol, doing what road deputies do, a few times a month. I want to work with the detention deputies and do the same. I want to get ideas and comments from the people who actually do the job.

Though this question was regarding road deputies, I want all SCSO employees my thought are the same no matter what division you work for.

Stay safe,

Spike

Unregistered
    We need Spike here. Lemma has never addressed people at this forum, or presented real solutions to real problems.

Unregistered

It's getting worse

Spike, Thank you for posting on this forum. I just discovered this forum and was very surprised to see you on here openly discussing these issues, considering our own leaders aren't on here doing the same.

I can agree with the original poster. I know several Deputies in North and South Region (overnights specifically) that are miserable and on the verge of leaving or are already in the process of finding a new agency to start with.

I checked out your website and read through your posts and am highly considering giving you my vote. I'm a Republican, but we need to shake things up at the SCSO, and I believe you when you say you're green over red or blue.

Please continue posting here and discussing these issues. Like you said in a previous post, even if you don't win, maybe your efforts to expose certain issues will make the SCSO better just for your attempt.

Thank you Spike.

And to the people in South and North Region struggling with terrible supervisors and/or unsafe work environments, please stay safe, and I'll pray for you all. I hope things get better. Remember you are appreciated. You shouldn't have to worry about your supervisor more than a gang banger.

Spike Hopkins
    Thank you for your positive words. if you can hang on until November we'll see what we can do about making the SCSO number one again

Charles Albrecht

For those that need to talk

Good evening SCSO,

If you can not go to your chain of command please come to me. I am willing to listen, talk, and be your voice if needed. Stay safe I have your back, Charlie Albrecht

Spike Hopkins
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Albrecht View Post
    Good evening SCSO,

If you can not go to your chain of command please come to me. I am willing to listen, talk, and be your voice if needed. Stay safe I have your back, Charlie Albrecht
    Lt, Albrecht, thanks for stepping up to help your troops out.

Spike

Unregistered
    Charlie Albrecht is an absolute snake. I wouldn’t trust him any farther than I can throw him, which isn’t very far... He is the absolute last person I would go to for any help, as he is only looking out for himself and how to get promoted. I know it sounds good on here, but if you think Charlie will help you think again.

Unregistered
    So basically no one is to be trusted. We can't trust any person at this agency lol. Can't wait to leave.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    You shouldn't have to worry about your supervisor more than a gang banger.
    Couldn't have said that any better.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast