Pay and professionalism are completely lacking
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Thumbs up Pay and professionalism are completely lacking

The pay is on par for the current level of professionalism which is very low. Iv been @ the jail for a few years and with starting certified pay being $17.45, I see why we there are no quality staff being hired. TRAINEES at other surrounding sheriff offices start @ $20 an hour... I understand we are a rural county, but come on we work as hard as any other deputies do and put up with a lot. Cant blame our turnover rate for being so high, especially at the jail. Anyone thinking about applying here should look elsewhere and not turn back, if you ever plan on advancing with hard work or dedication. There is very little room for advancement, unless you are a subordinate sleeping with someone in authority, which is sadly common practice here. If you have half a brain apply elsewhere, you'll thank me later!

Unregistered
    And I was just about to post a thread asking what it is like working here...

Unregistered
    PLEASE continue to hire douchebags and washouts from other agencies! The folks in your recruiting and background section need a raise for the fabulous recruit applicants you are bringing in!

Unregistered

Duh

They have a retired FBI agent in charge of background checks what else could you ask for ?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    PLEASE continue to hire douchebags and washouts from other agencies! The folks in your recruiting and background section need a raise for the fabulous recruit applicants you are bringing in!
    Uh oh...who got hired?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    They have a retired FBI agent in charge of background checks what else could you ask for ?
    Yeah, that says it all.....

Unregistered
    So is it any better there?

Unregistered
    if i hated a place enough, i would just leave.

isn't your retirement transferable?

Unregistered
    The deputies seem happy in Sumter and for the most part they have a decent command staff. The pay is terrible for all the agencies in the area, this is not just a SCSO issue. As far as new hires, for the pitiful salaries in the area it still attracts an average applicant pool. We probably get the guys who SCSO does not hire and they are ok. The applicants who apply with previous LEO experience always have baggage but that is just the way law enforcement is in 2020 for this area. Sumter County is growing at a crazy pace. I have have worked with members of the SCSO on an almost a daily basis and for the pay, it is an average or slightly above average agency. It is not as bad as some on this thread have indicated.

Unregistered
    Neighboring marion county has about 233,000 more people living within county than sumter, citrus, or hernando. Lake county has 365,000 people in county.

Pasco has over half a million living in county. Polk has a little over a quarter million living in county.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast