Looking for a new department

Unregistered

Looking for a new department

I am looking into relocating to the Sarasota/Bradenton area and I am looking for a PD where I can move up quickly (<5 years). I have heard that the Sheriff's offices are not conducive to that so I am primarily looking at Bradenton PD, Sarasota PD and Northport. I have 10+ years experience and have 3 years in the Detective Bureau. I also have an advanced degree.

What is the call volume at BPD like? Is there a split shift or days and nights only? How long does it take to get into drug or detective unit? SWAT?

How many offense reports per night on average? I know that starting is low, but how much do youake after 5 years?

Any other info I should know?

Thanks in advance!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am looking into relocating to the Sarasota/Bradenton area and I am looking for a PD where I can move up quickly (<5 years). I have heard that the Sheriff's offices are not conducive to that so I am primarily looking at Bradenton PD, Sarasota PD and Northport. I have 10+ years experience and have 3 years in the Detective Bureau. I also have an advanced degree.

What is the call volume at BPD like? Is there a split shift or days and nights only? How long does it take to get into drug or detective unit? SWAT?

How many offense reports per night on average? I know that starting is low, but how much do youake after 5 years?

Any other info I should know?

Thanks in advance!
    "Generally" speaking, the quickest advancements for a PD will be at NPPD. Politics is always involved, everywhere you go, of course. For an SO, it all depends on "who you know." For example, the current MSO sheriff was hired at MSO several years ago -- and he was promoted to lieutenant in just a few months, but that's a longer story.

Unregistered
    Is Bradenton not a good choice?

Unregistered
    Is Bradenton not a good choice?
    BPD is in a very rough area, whereas NPPD is in a large suburban area with no inner city problems. BPD is excellent, but it has totally different demographics. Both departments are good, but you chances of "rising through the ranks" are better at NPPD (if that's your aspiration).

Unregistered
    BPD is in a very rough area, whereas NPPD is in a large suburban area with no inner city problems. BPD is excellent, but it has totally different demographics. Both departments are good, but you chances of "rising through the ranks" are better at NPPD (if that's your aspiration).
    BPD has historically had massive swarms of homeless people, pan handlers, drug addicts and prostitutes standing around on street corners, whereas NPPD has none of that (at least not out-in-the-open). North Port's land mass is too "spread out," like a giant suburb of homes. There are no inner city locations in North Port for homeless people to congregate.

Unregistered
    I am going to the EOT very soon and still haven't made up my mind. Can anyone comment on pay. Can they start you higher with experience? How long to get on SWAT or the Detective Bureau?