Sarasota Sheriff Tom Knight says a new jail will not solve jail overcrowding

Senior Member LEO Affairs Lieutenant

Lightbulb Sarasota Sheriff Tom Knight says a new jail will not solve jail overcrowding

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hinebaugh View Post
    The Sarasota County Jail has been overcrowded for 10 years. It is a mix of old and new — outdated layouts, chipping paint and rust in the wings built in 1975 and 1987. Maintenance issues, such as excess buildup in aging pipes (no toilets or sinks), renders entire pods useless — sometimes for months — which poses problems every time the inmate population rises.

There have been conversations surrounding the idea of building a new jail to match Sarasota County’s exploding population, but Tom Knight said, “As long as I’m sheriff, I’ll never support a [new] jail [to handle inmate overcrowding] because it’s a tool of the past.”

To reduce jail overcrowding, Knight said judges need to set reasonable bonds and resolve cases quickly, which will reduce the inmate population.

Knight said, “Is there an opportunity for the jail population to go over [the legal] capacity again, and to have over 1,100 inmates? Absolutely.” However, Knight said that if the jail does get overcrowded again, then mattresses can be laid on the floor for inmates to sleep on, which is what he did last year to solve jail overcrowding.
    Full story:
    https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...-is-not-needed
    Journalism can never be silent: that is its greatest virtue and its greatest fault. It must speak, and speak immediately, while the echoes of wonder, the claims of triumph and the signs of horror are still in the air.

Senior Member LEO Affairs Lieutenant

Lightbulb Sheriff Knight said: “My failure will be the jail.”

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moore Jr. View Post
    Sheriff Tom Knight said, “We don’t go out and mass arrest anymore.”

Still, the jail has exceeded its inmate limit since 2008.

What can be done about an aging and overcrowded jail? The jail has shifted to rehabilitation.
    • In 2008, a 250-bed mental health facility was priced at $18 million. It was never built.
    • In 2018, a modern jail [that meet's all of the county's needs] is $130 million.

Knight said, “Before I leave office, my failure will be the jail...”
    Full story:
    https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...g-to-panelists
    Journalism can never be silent: that is its greatest virtue and its greatest fault. It must speak, and speak immediately, while the echoes of wonder, the claims of triumph and the signs of horror are still in the air.