Sheriff Tom Knight says a new jail will not solve jail overcrowding
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Senior Member LEO Affairs Lieutenant

Lightbulb Sheriff Tom Knight says a new jail will not solve jail overcrowding

Quote Originally Posted by “Jonah Hinebaugh”
    The Sarasota County Jail has been overcrowded for 10 years. It is a mix of old and new — outdated layouts, chipping paint and rust in the wings built in 1975 and 1987. Maintenance issues, such as excess buildup in aging pipes (no toilets or sinks), can render entire pods useless — sometimes for months — which poses problems every time the inmate population rises.

There have been conversations surrounding the idea of building a new jail to match Sarasota’s exploding population, but Tom Knight said, “As long as I’m sheriff, I’ll never support a [new] hardened jail [to handle inmate overcrowding] because it’s a tool of the past.”

To reduce jail overcrowding, Knight said judges need to set reasonable bonds and resolve cases quickly, which will reduce the inmate population.

Knight said, “Is there an opportunity for the jail population to go over capacity again, and to have over 1,100 inmates? Absolutely.” However, Knight said that if the jail does get overcrowded again, then mattresses can be laid on the floor for inmates to sleep on, which is what he did last year to solve jail overcrowding.

Knight also wants to mitigate jail overcrowding by sending inmates into community based re-entry programs – and not to jail.
    Full story:
    https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...-is-not-needed
    Last edited by Media; 06-23-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    Journalism can never be silent: that is its greatest virtue and its greatest fault. It must speak, and speak immediately, while the echoes of wonder, the claims of triumph and the signs of horror are still in the air.

Unregistered

Huh?

Since when did our Sheriff become responsible for the entire criminal justice system? The capacity of the jail is a function of the population and our population is growing. When the population grows we need more roads, more utilities, more schools and so on.
    Human behavior hasn't changed much and we can be sure that it isn't going to change much in the foreseeable future. Didn't the SCSO just move into larger offices to deal with the increased staff, which is needed because of increased activity which is....a function of population growth?
    Really Sheriff, you are undermining the court system, and the laws by refusing to carry out one of your basic responsibilities.
    Bernie Sanders would love your comments but then again he doesn't understand human behavior either.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Since when did our Sheriff become responsible for the entire criminal justice system? The capacity of the jail is a function of the population and our population is growing. When the population grows we need more roads, more utilities, more schools and so on.
    Human behavior hasn't changed much and we can be sure that it isn't going to change much in the foreseeable future. Didn't the SCSO just move into larger offices to deal with the increased staff, which is needed because of increased activity which is....a function of population growth?
    Really Sheriff, you are undermining the court system, and the laws by refusing to carry out one of your basic responsibilities.
    Bernie Sanders would love your comments but then again he doesn't understand human behavior either.
    Sadly, you are correct.

The jail issue is going to be the biggest infrastructural problem within the next 12 years, if it is not aggressively addressed yesterday. Strategic planning for a new jail should have begun 10 years ago, but from day one, Knight has refused to allow the county commissioners to fund construction of a new jail. Instead, Knight built an unneeded new SSO headquarters. We needed a new jail - and not a new office building. Whoever is at the helm in about 10 years is going to be in big big trouble because the population of the county is growing and will continue to grow because Sarasota County is a destination, but we are still NOT strategically planning for the construction of a new jail. At least not yet.

Unregistered
    No, no, no.... the increased staff is so we can focus on the real issues plaguing Sarasota.... Driving.... tickets, tickets, we need more tickets..... Although, there is NO QUOTA... BTW, I’m gunna need your stats, how many tickets did you write this month.....

Senior Member LEO Affairs Lieutenant

Lightbulb Sheriff Knight said: “My failure will be the jail.”

Quote Originally Posted by “Michael Moore Jr.”
    Sheriff Tom Knight said, “We don’t go out and mass arrest anymore.”

Still, the jail has exceeded its inmate limit since 2008.

What can be done about an aging and overcrowded jail? The jail has shifted to rehabilitation.

• In 2008, a 250-bed mental health facility was priced at $18 million. It was never built.
    • In 2018, a modern jail [that meet's all of the county's needs] is $130 million.

Knight said, “Before I leave office, my failure will be the jail...”
    Full story:
    https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...g-to-panelists
    Journalism can never be silent: that is its greatest virtue and its greatest fault. It must speak, and speak immediately, while the echoes of wonder, the claims of triumph and the signs of horror are still in the air.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hinebaugh View Post
    June 23, 2019

Sheriff Tom Knight wants to mitigate jail overcrowding by sending inmates into re-entry programs – and not arresting them and taking them to jail.

Full story:
    https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...-is-not-needed
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moore Jr. View Post
    June 25, 2019

Sheriff Tom Knight said that his jail has shifted to rehabilitation instead of arrest: “We don’t go out and make mass arrests anymore because you can’t arrest your way out of drug use.”

Full story:
    https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...g-to-panelists
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Cox
    August 15, 2019

Blue lights strobing in my rear view, I was pulled over by a Sarasota deputy for speeding 62 in a 45 mph zone.

The registration was in my glove compartment, along with a plastic bag containing two buds (6 grams of marijuana) which I hadn’t sampled yet. His flashlight spotted the vegetation.

The deputy cuffed me and called for backup.

The jailers relieved me of everything, even my underwear, and they issued me plastic orange Crocs, an orange shirt and matching orange trousers with the black letters “J-A-I-L” arranged vertically down my leg. Finger-printing and mugshots followed.

The guy to my left was arrested for “Huffin’ duster” (inhaling compressed gas).

My slow-motion shakedown from Sarasota County's justice system spanned six months and cost me $2,200, including attorney’s fees, court costs, probation costs, getting my car back, and finally, getting issued a medical marijuana prescription card, which will allow me to legally possess and smoke it, without getting arrested in the future.

A Quinnipiac Poll shows that 65 percent of Floridians support legalization, so State Rep. Shevrin Jones introduced a bill to decriminalize possession of less than 20 grams of cannabis. If a personal-use marijuana referendum passes next year, by the same landslide margins that medical marijuana did in 2016, then...
    Full story:
    https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...ed-in-sarasota

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Thomas M. Knight
    A county jail is an antiquated philosophy of corrections.
    Link: https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...ort-after-jail

Unregistered
    My opinion he really is insane and out of touch with reality. Just a solid dumb fukkk. Can’t wait til he is gone. He says some really stupid shiz. Bu bye dummy

Unregistered

Thumbs up Knight's talking points are solidly in-line with the Democratic Party

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Thomas M. Knight View Post
    A county jail is an antiquated philosophy of corrections.

Link: https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...ort-after-jail

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    My opinion he really is insane and out of touch with reality. Can’t wait til he is gone. He says some really stupid shiz.
    Knight's verbatim comments in the Herald-Tribune newspaper are solidly in-line with the Democratic Party, even though he is registered as a Republican (RINO). And now Knight is supporting Kurt Hoffman to run for office as the next sheriff. You cannot make this up.

Unregistered
    Unless you’re a Mexican.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast