Quote Originally Posted by “Lee Williams”
Florida law prohibits agencies from setting quotas. However, in an email that was obtained by the Herald-Tribune, Sheriff’s Capt. Ryan Brown wrote to all patrol supervisors: “Our [ticket] productivity is way down.” Deputies were then ordered to “have a proactive attempt at traffic enforcement every day.”

Brown continued, “I look at the overall number, but it is up to you to look at individual deputies and encourage them [to write more tickets]. I do not want to call out individual deputies and their supervisors – but I will, if it gets to that point.”

Retired Deputy Steve Hall explained, “Deputies do not want to punish citizens [by writing mandatory tickets], but they have to write [a minimum number of] tickets [during each shift] to keep their jobs. Deputies [and the state statute] use the word ‘quota,’ but [senior] staff uses the word ‘goals’ [to circumvent state law].”

Chief Deputy Col. Kurt Hoffman said, “If you take his email in context — which I 100 percent support — he’s increasing productivity [by making deputies write more tickets].”

Many current deputies are angry about the memo.

Hoffman and Brown both said that writing traffic tickets reduces crime because...
Full story:
https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...e-more-tickets