Moving to Orlando

Unregistered

Moving to Orlando

Hello,

Current LEO in south Florida looking to relocate to the Orlando area sometime early next year. I have a few questions regarding the department.

- are you guys on 12’s? If not what is the schedule like?
    - How are the benefits? Health? Time off?
    - How are the districts broken up?
    - You guys must have great off duty? Downtown, universal, and of course all the sports?
    - Do you guys get issued good gear?
    - Issued duty weapons?

I know it’s a lot of questions but I would greatly appreciate some insight.

Thank you again and be safe!

Unregistered
    Patrol works 12s and I dont see that changing. We recently added evening shifts that also work 12s. They work 11-11 during week and 3-3 on weekends. Mids and Days start at 5, 5:15, 5:30 and 6.

Health insurance is good and we are paying like anyone else. Newer guys do not have health insurance after retirement, they have a health savings plan. You get plenty of time off, and it continues to grow faster as u stay on.

There are now Central, West, North and East patrol bureaus....along with the airport. The 4 patrol bureaus each have two sectors, and they each have 7-8 districts. One to two cars a district. Squad have a sgt and 8-11 officers.

The off duty is unreal and u can basically work every minute of every day if u wanted. Most jobs are in the 40-60 dollar range. Universal gig is popular as you earn tickets and stuff like an employee.

We are generally issued great gear. We carry sig 9s, are currently being issued and trained on brand new Sig patrol rifles with Aim points. When you are new you may have an older car, but they are switching to a suv fleet with Tahoes and Explorers. They do not skimp on things when buying new cars. They issue everything down to nice streamlights, new uniforms is bdu and polos effective last sunday. Also issued, no uniform allowance of anything like that in patrol. They even give you money for shoes every October.

Overall, very good place to work with high morale and alot of great people. New Chief is homegrown and a good person, who looks out for his people.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Patrol works 12s and I dont see that changing. We recently added evening shifts that also work 12s. They work 11-11 during week and 3-3 on weekends. Mids and Days start at 5, 5:15, 5:30 and 6.

Health insurance is good and we are paying like anyone else. Newer guys do not have health insurance after retirement, they have a health savings plan. You get plenty of time off, and it continues to grow faster as u stay on.

There are now Central, West, North and East patrol bureaus....along with the airport. The 4 patrol bureaus each have two sectors, and they each have 7-8 districts. One to two cars a district. Squad have a sgt and 8-11 officers.

The off duty is unreal and u can basically work every minute of every day if u wanted. Most jobs are in the 40-60 dollar range. Universal gig is popular as you earn tickets and stuff like an employee.

We are generally issued great gear. We carry sig 9s, are currently being issued and trained on brand new Sig patrol rifles with Aim points. When you are new you may have an older car, but they are switching to a suv fleet with Tahoes and Explorers. They do not skimp on things when buying new cars. They issue everything down to nice streamlights, new uniforms is bdu and polos effective last sunday. Also issued, no uniform allowance of anything like that in patrol. They even give you money for shoes every October.

Overall, very good place to work with high morale and alot of great people. New Chief is homegrown and a good person, who looks out for his people.
    Thank you so much, amazing information!

Unregistered

Agree with all that was said except the chief part...he will be gone in less than two years and is nothing but a politician, worst one Ive seen in decades. The rest of the management is decent.

Unregistered
    With the new uniforms do you wear an overvest or is it just a polo?

How is the take home car policy? Is it right after FTO?

Thanks for all the info.

Unregistered
    Take homes are assigned at the end of FTO. Some FTOs even go out of their way to get the recruits car for the last day of FTO as a gift. We do pay for out of city and out of county take homes, the highest is 65. We just went to polos and will not be going to outervests anytime soon in patrol, if ever.

Unregistered
    I know every day is different but how is the call volume? I’m sure it’s high but is there time to be proactive?

Unregistered
    I know every day is different but how is the call volume? I’m sure it’s high but is there time to be proactive?

Depends on the day on whats going on in the City......but usually you can find a way to get into something.