14 Percent Crime Increase

Unregistered

14 Percent Crime Increase

The only thing we did was to go to 12 hour shifts. I wonder if there is any relationship between crime and hours worked.

In published studies not much is done in the last 2 hours of the day and I can attest to that. It's also bad for our personal health not to mention our family according to the study.

Its great to have 3 days off after working the week but the wife has to handle the entire load the other 4 days.

I wonder if we will now take another look now that crime is way up.

Bottom line 12 hour shifts are bad for the community we serve but good for our 3 days off.

Let's see what happens!

Unregistered
    If that were the case agency's around the US wouldn't have 12 hour shifts. Quit crying

Unregistered
    Four 10-hr shifts with 3 days off is WAY better!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Four 10-hr shifts with 3 days off is WAY better!
    I've worked 8's, 10's and 12's:

• 10 hour days are perfect and people have enough energy to go to the gym after a 10 hour shift (health improves). The extra weekday off is perfect for running errands and making appointments.
    • 12 hour days are exhausting and most people are too tired to go to the gym after a 12 hour shift (health declines). Sitting for 12 hours will destroy your health. The extra day off is spent recovering from 12's.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I've worked 8's, 10's and 12's:

• 10 hour days are perfect and people have enough energy to go to the gym after a 10 hour shift (health improves). The extra weekday off is perfect for running errands and making appointments.
    • 12 hour days are exhausting and most people are too tired to go to the gym after a 12 hour shift (health declines). Sitting for 12 hours will destroy your health. The extra day off is spent recovering from 12's.
    Sitting motionless in your car for 12 hours will kill you. You are not allowed to be "out of the car" for too long because then it will be questioned, "what is he doing out of his car for so long?" You have to be in-your-car and ready for calls. Sitting motionless for too long will kill you.

If you look at police academy graduates and fire academy graduates, they both look strong and healthy after graduation. However, if you compare both groups after 25 years on-the-job, the cops look far worse than the firefighters for two reasons:
    1. Patrol officers are forced to sit motionless in their cars, waiting for calls-for-service.
    2. Firefighters are allowed to exercise and move around at the firehouse, while waiting for calls-for-service.

Sitting in a car for 25 years is a death sentence. Twelve hour shifts make the problem worse.