Ptsd????

Thread: Ptsd????

Junior Member LEO Affairs Recruit

Ptsd????

I came here from another agency with high expectations and I have to say I've been highly disappointed by the lack of leadership at this agency. I am not just talking about the things I've seen but the things I haven't seen in our command staff. There is a huge lack of communication and interaction from the Chief and Captains between the officers. I have never seen the Patrol Captain after 1700 hours unless it was for one of his closed door meetings. Being a Patrolman on nights you only see a Sergeant. It hasn't taken me long to see that the Patrol Captain's absence from keeping tabs on the day to day events within his division are to blame for the lastest leadership downfall.*

It will be unfortunate for this agency and all the hard working officers if a demotion isn't swiftly enforced. I hope the Chief stands by the very same core ethics and morals he has bestowed upon us. The fact that this unfolded less then a month after our last debacle is inexcusable. If claiming PTSD is the reason for breaking so many polices you have to question that person's ability to lead and supervise. We have plenty of war combat veterans within our agency that have seen far worse and would not abuse such a serious diagnosis. I don't want to see this open the door for future excuses when someone breaks policy.*

It's unsettling to think this will be handled with the same unattentive and unthorough approach as the prior incidences in the past involving other officers. The outcome of this will determine my decision to stay here or go elsewhere.

Thumbs up Not surprised

Unfortunately things haven't changed even with the new Chief so I feel your frustration. I expected him to hold people accountable for their actions and put a stop to the shenanigans. Ultimately that has not happened and I feel there is no commitment to keep the highest standard of integrity and professionalism from his officers. If you are going to talk the talk you need to walk the walk. Simply just suspending (or not all at) a Sgt. for having inappropriate relations with a dispatcher while on-duty is an outrage! The story I heard was he used a meeting with the Chief (lie) as an excuse to leave home early before his shift to meet up with a dispatcher he supervises. If the Chief doesn't demote him it would appear he basically has his back in his adultery.

There is no legal ramifications if he was demoted after his claims of PTSD. I want to make that very clear because that is the rumor going around the department. He broke polices that are on the level of termination, a demontion is totally within legal guidelines and that isn't even questioning his abilities to be a leader. I agree with you, he needs to be demoted. Is it possible his leadership decisions on the street resulting in a negative outcome will have the same excuse as him seeking attention?

It appear as if the Chief and Patrol Captain's pride are more important than making the right decision for the department. Are they more worried about making themselves look bad for demoting the officer they choose to be the next Sgt.? I recall a HCSO Deputy that had been promoted to Corporal who got demoted before he even supervised a single person because he made a comment in a leadership class "I guess you have to shoot someone around here to get promoted".

I wish I could tell you things will be different but seeing this kind of behavior go on for 10+ years without making an example of someone is why it continues. Just look at how long it took to catch up to the last Sgt. and that was with everyone in the department having knowledge.*The command staff's efforts or lack of are an embarrassment. I've watched command staff over the years single out an officer and hammer him for every little thing he did wrong until they could add it all up in order to fire him but are now completely ignoring a serious policy violation. The consensus from everyone I have talked to is that a failure to address his behavior will ultimately be interpreted as the command staff protecting their own and not the agency. I hate to say this but Chief McDaniel would not allow this Sgt. to keep his stripes.

I would hate to see us lose good officers but I wouldn't blame you for wanting to leave. Retirement is in the near future for me but you younger guys have options and should fully explorer them.

Thumbs up Not surprised

Unfortunately things haven't changed even with the new Chief so I feel your frustration. I expected him to hold people accountable for their actions and put a stop to the shenanigans. Ultimately that has not happened and I feel there is no commitment to keep the highest standard of integrity and professionalism from his officers. If you are going to talk the talk you need to walk the walk. Simply just suspending (or not all at) a Sgt. for having inappropriate relations with a dispatcher while on-duty is an outrage! The story I heard was he used a meeting with the Chief *lie* as an excuse to leave home early before his shift to meet up with a dispatcher he supervises. If the Chief doesn't demote him it would appear he basically has his back in his adultery.

There is no legal ramifications if he was demoted after his claims of PTSD. I want to make that very clear because that is the rumor going around the department. He broke polices that are on the level of termination, a demontion is totally within legal guidelines and that isn't even questioning his abilities to be a leader. I agree with you, he should be demoted. Is it possible his leadership decisions on the street resulting in a negative outcome will have the same excuse as him seeking attention?

It appear as if the Chief and the Captain's pride are more important than making the right decision for the department. Are they more worried about making themselves look bad for demoting the officer they choose to be the next Sgt.? I recall a HCSO Deputy that had been promoted to Corporal who got demoted before he even supervised a single person because he made a comment in a leadership class "I guess you have to shoot someone around here to get promoted".

I wish I could tell you things will be different but seeing this kind of behavior go on for 10+ years without making an example of someone is why it continues. Just look at how long it took to catch up to the last Sgt. and that was with everyone in the department having knowledge.*The command staff's efforts or lack of are an embarrassment. I've watched command staff over the years single out an officer and hammer him for every little thing he did wrong until they could add it all up in order to fire him but are now completely ignoring a serious policy violation. The consensus from everyone I have talked to is that a failure to address his behavior will ultimately be interpreted as the command staff protecting their own and not the agency. I hate to say this but Chief McDaniel would not allow this Sgt. to keep his stripes.

I would hate to see us lose good officers but I wouldn't blame you for wanting to leave. Retirement is in the near future for me but you younger guys have options and should fully explorer them.

Unregistered

Angry ........

I've heard this Sgt. talk sh** about our last Sgt. that almost put us through the ringer and now he does the same thing. If he was just flirting would it be this drawn out. I am glad Chief is perfectly fine with being his cover story, our last Chief didn't have a problem with playing that role either lol. It's a pattern that continues...........I remember when a female Sgt. was demoted for complaining about a certain Chief back in the day but this behavior is acceptable and always have been.

Unregistered

PTSD??? It is REAL

Please know that everything you hear is not correct. I am close to this situation and it is not as others posted.

NOTHING HAPPENED ON COMPANY TIME...different from the previous situations.

The Sgt in question has been in law enforcement for over 15 yrs in several different capacities. He has a clean record and never displayed issues of the sort rumored until 2 years ago. In the last 2 years, he was a celebrated HERO for saving the life of a mother and her 2 children. He actually asked that the celebrations and rewards be stopped.

He has dealt with many issues in regards to that situation and unfortunately never seeked help in the right way. Family and friends were working to get him help, but he would not admit to the issues at hand for fear of being seen as unfit to do his job. His time with PCPD is not his entire career. Unless you have walked in his shoes and seen what he has as a Jail Officer, COPS Officer, Road Officer, Undercover Narcartics Agent, ABC Enforcement, Marshall services, Detective and lastly Sargeant...you have no reason to judge.

His morals are in tact--faults...absolutely!!! Can you say you are without fault? Are you perfect? Have you made the right decisions in ALL situations? I dare you to say yes.

He is trying to fix the wrong done to his loved ones. The department has not been wronged.
    The department has taken priority in his life for 8 years as he worked hard to prove himself. His health and family come first now!

As a LEO/first responder, you should think back on your career. As a LEO you are held to a certain standard, believed to have no faults, no weakness, strong, supporter of all good and defender of your community. I pray that you, your loved one or family NEVER have to deal with PTSD. It is tough on all involved.

Look it up... PTSD is real and affects more First Responders than even reported. The reason...what is being said on this forum! Fear of being seen unfit, a joke, weak, demoralized, ostracized... You are supposed to be a family! Where were those persons when he and his family had to endure constant questions, to go to sleep at night not knowing what was next, his children begging him not to go to work???? They were no where to be found. The calls/visits stopped within days of the first event. They were left to fend for themselves and take charge of their own

The second and most recent event for the Officer, could have been tragic. Officers were shot at and once again he was put in a position to not only defend this officers, but his own life.

What is the procedure you ask in an event as such? A visit to a therapist on the PD payroll that lasts 10 minutes, a signature and back to work within days.

The Chief and Captain are working to help those parties involved to secure a successful future, whether that is with the department or not. I commend them for trying to help now, however; a procedure should already be in place for situations where officers are dealing with this type of stress.

The Officer was not put on suspension. He asked to take a leave to seek help and to be there for his family. As far as the dispatcher--ADULT--fully knowledgeable of the PTSD and the Sgt's family. What should her punishment be? What are her consequences for any involvement?

I ask you to please not be cowardly. Social media is for you to sit behind a computer and gossip about things you have no understanding or details.

Unregistered

PTSD--No excuse, no ploy for attention

Please know that everything you hear is not correct. I am close to this situation and it is not as others posted.

NOTHING HAPPENED ON COMPANY TIME...different from the previous situations.

The Sgt in question has been in law enforcement for over 15 yrs in several different capacities. He has a clean record and never displayed issues of the sort rumored until 2 years ago. In the last 2 years, he was a celebrated HERO for saving the life of a mother and her 2 children. He actually asked that the celebrations and rewards be stopped.

He has dealt with many issues in regards to that situation and unfortunately never seeked help in the right way. Family and friends were working to get him help, but he would not admit to the issues at hand for fear of being seen as unfit to do his job. His time with PCPD is not his entire career. Unless you have walked in his shoes and seen what he has as a Jail Officer, COPS Officer, Road Officer, Undercover Narcartics Agent, ABC Enforcement, Marshall services, Detective and lastly Sargeant...you have no reason to judge.

His morals are in tact--faults...absolutely!!! Can you say you are without fault? Are you perfect? Have you made the right decisions in ALL situations? I dare you to say yes.

He is trying to fix the wrong done to his loved ones. The department has not been wronged.
    The department has taken priority in his life for 8 years as he worked hard to prove himself. His health and family come first now!

As a LEO/first responder, you should think back on your career. As a LEO you are held to a certain standard, believed to have no faults, no weakness, strong, supporter of all good and defender of your community. I pray that you, your loved one or family NEVER have to deal with PTSD. It is tough on all involved.

Look it up... PTSD is real and affects more First Responders than even reported. The reason...what is being said on this forum! Fear of being seen unfit, a joke, weak, demoralized, ostracized... You are supposed to be a family! Where were those persons when he and his family had to endure constant questions, to go to sleep at night not knowing what was next, his children begging him not to go to work???? They were no where to be found. The calls/visits stopped within days of the first event. They were left to fend for themselves and take charge of their own

The second and most recent event for the Officer, could have been tragic. Officers were shot at and once again he was put in a position to not only defend this officers, but his own life.

What is the procedure you ask in an event as such? A visit to a therapist on the PD payroll that lasts 10 minutes, a signature and back to work within days.

The Chief and Captain are working to help those parties involved to secure a successful future, whether that is with the department or not. I commend them for trying to help now, however; a procedure should already be in place for situations where officers are dealing with this type of stress.

The Officer was not put on suspension. He asked to take a leave to seek help and to be there for his family. As far as the dispatcher--ADULT--fully knowledgeable of the PTSD and the Sgt's family. What should her punishment be? What are her consequences for any involvement?

I ask you to please not be cowardly. Social media is for you to sit behind a computer and gossip about things you have no understanding or details.

uStupid
    You must be new here If you had been here for a while you would no better than post a response to these posters. About 3 people who I'm sure we habe already guessed actually post here. They are the *****ers and angry and no one cares what they think. Every one knows posts on this site are arent based on fact and truth. Someones mad they didn't get promoted or they got in trouble at some point. Run from this sight and never look back caus the good people at the PD have done that long ago. The views you see are just people watching to watch...this website is a cancer.

And for the original poster no one wants you here anyway so please, leave. If you weren't involved, and weren't used in the decision making process of this incident , well then, I guess you are just talking out of ignorance. What do you think? the higher ups are going to have a revelation after reading your whiney little post and revamp their how they work ? You think they gonna strip his rank and give it to you for one mistake ? How quickly we turn on our "family" when the habe a misstep. It must be nice to be perfect

The pd is better than it's ever been . Actually, it would seem as though the brass are doing great since its clear you have been ignored on your career as you should have been.

Unregistered

Dip

As I'm sitting here reading this I get more and more pissed off. First off prior chief was garbage and wrecked many officers lives for his own potential gain. As for the current leadership I tip my hat cause they do provide an umbrella of comfort that older officers have never known before now.

Now let's address the issue that should have never made it to this page cause he should have never been promoted to begin with! Without opening another can of worms let's leave it at that.

As far as claiming ptsd when your **** is in a vice hmmmm, I agree with early post it a huge slap in the face for all the brother and sister out there who truly struggle on a daily bases. I do encourage everyone to look into the effects of ptsd. Last time I went to a session no one was there claimed flirting nor potential sexual contact was a trigger for a ptsd episode. Hmmm like I said slap in the face reference timing of this ptsd revelation.

Now leadership is in a rock and a hard place at this point that he has made this claim. So medically it will have to run its course before they can take their course of action.

As for the individual involved I do know him and the type of sgt he has become and I can assure you he is not a leader nor should he remain in that position. On the other hand he is a good officer who reacts correctly in stressful situations as he was trained also as we all hope we can do if put in those types of situations.

As for the dispatcher well yes she is an adult. Yes they both took a risk. At the end of the day he is in her direct chain of command as a night shift supervisor so in my book and the books of law enforcement and military that makes him more at fault. He held the position of authority period.

Ps stop posting on here the devil at City Hall is watching you can believe that or he is having his do boy watch. Be mindful he is still in position to directly affect your day to day.

Unregistered

That's it fellas, eat your own!!!!! Great job! Hope you're ****ing happy.

Unregistered

UMMM yeah right

Whos the dope that thinks it's a Captains job to come out and babysit you at night? Hold on, bring your mommy on your next call just in case you need to be told what to do.

Go back to where you came from.