Detention Deputy Trainee or Law Enforcement Deputy Trainee

Junior Member LEO Affairs Recruit

Question Detention Deputy Trainee or Law Enforcement Deputy Trainee

Good evening,

I am currently looking to apply for a sworn in position at HCSO. I did 4 years in the Marines and currently work for the "well-known" company C.I.S. I do not like the wages here and have quickly learned that there is not much of a career path with security. I have recently decided that it's time I hop onto a different path and just go sworn in.

My reason for this posting is as follows: LEO Trainee or Detention Deputy Trainee? I work out at Big Bend TECO and run into HCSO LEO's quite often and get told that Detention Deputy is terrible. Is there anyone here to back that up? Is there much of a path to be taken if I do make the cut and decide to take Detention Deputy? As I learned from my time in the Marines, I want to make sure this time that I don't get stuck doing a job that is highly unenjoyable. Now, I'm not saying that either or will be fully enjoyable, as I know that everything has its down-side. Really, I just want some input from LEO's and Det. Deputies.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and stay safe out there.

Unregistered
    I will give you my opinion. First, I have all of the respect in the world for our detention deputies. Pay is either the same, or at least when I retired recently, it was close. Patrol deputies are on the road instead of being inside all day. At least most detention deputies are inside. Some have limited duties outside. Patrol deputies have a lot more independence and variety as they are out handling a wide variety of calls with people: civilians, good guys and bad. There is a lot more to learn on the street and the assignment has a lot more responsibilities. Me, personally, I don't think I would have been happy in detention, just my personality. If you felt stagnic in security, I think you would be more interested in patrol as it is more complex, more to learn, more options in your career, and more variety. I would like to hear from the detention side, but please, don't take my opinion as a gig. I have all the respect in the world for detention. We are all part of the team.

Junior Member LEO Affairs Recruit
    Thanks for the input. Firstly, thank you for your service as a LEO. I think I would have to say that I love the fact that you mentioned me being bored with security. I'll be honest, I'm not one to want to sit around all day just watching over people. I would much rather be out and about. Now, I have also been told that detention is more for the "new" guys who have nothing under their belt but college. Is there any truth to this?

Unregistered
    Absolutely not, most start patrol with no more than college. Some have military. We do not hire many with prior experience. It is a little easier to get into detention but stay focused and determined if you want patrol!

Unregistered
    Go to school. Use your GI Bill to earn a degree. It's very rare that applicants get hired as LE Deputies with military service alone. You'll get hired in Detention no problem - pending a background investigation.