Starting the probation officer academy
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Junior Member LEO Affairs Recruit

Starting the probation officer academy

I have been told that I will be starting the academy in tallahassee in the middle of January 2017. Can someone tell me what I should expect with P.E. and classes? Do we sleep in a dormitory? Any little bit of information you can give me would be greatly appreciated

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by ProbationRookie View Post
    I have been told that I will be starting the academy in tallahassee in the middle of January 2017. Can someone tell me what I should expect with P.E. and classes? Do we sleep in a dormitory? Any little bit of information you can give me would be greatly appreciated
    Haven't you been assigned to an office? If so, people in your office should be able to tell you everything you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Haven't you been assigned to an office? If so, people in your office should be able to tell you everything you need to know.
    Not been assigned as of yet. Just looking for some general information about the academy and what to expect and what i should be prepping for with respect to PE

Unregistered
    Went to different academy. From what I am told about Tallahassee is that it isnotthat bad. The supply you with your whole uniform and you stay in dorm.

Went to different academy. From what I am told about Tallahassee is that it isnotthat bad. The supply you with your whole uniform and you stay in dorm.
    Thanks for that input. But since this is the first time at an academy, what should I be expecting? When you went how was your daily schedule?

Unregistered
    Thanks for that input. But since this is the first time at an academy, what should I be expecting? When you went how was your daily schedule?
    Classroom 8-5 Mon-Friday. Off on sat and Sun. You do have two weeks of defensive tactics which will occur in a gym like atmosphere. The rest is classroom. Its not hard, its just a long 13 weeks

Classroom 8-5 Mon-Friday. Off on sat and Sun. You do have two weeks of defensive tactics which will occur in a gym like atmosphere. The rest is classroom. Its not hard, its just a long 13 weeks
    Thank you for that information. But just curious is there any running jumping sit up or push-ups? I been training at the gym. I dont want to overdo it if thats not really going to happen

Unregistered
    Thank you for that information. But just curious is there any running jumping sit up or push-ups? I been training at the gym. I dont want to overdo it if thats not really going to happen
    Don't let that other poster fool you. Do you actually believe you are going to be in the classroom from 8-5 5 days a week? You will have PT every morning and every afternoon. It's a lot more than just sit ups, push ups,, pull ups, and running. They try to kill you with all types of exercises and work outs. Your best bet is to live in the gym doing everything you can until you start the academy.

Don't let that other poster fool you. Do you actually believe you are going to be in the classroom from 8-5 5 days a week? You will have PT every morning and every afternoon. It's a lot more than just sit ups, push ups,, pull ups, and running. They try to kill you with all types of exercises and work outs. Your best bet is to live in the gym doing everything you can until you start the academy.
    WOW!! Are you serious? All that just to become a probation officer? That is crazy. I could understand if this was to become a real cop, but for a PO? I rather joing FHP and go through all that then just be some social worker at a desk.

i want to know from recent graduates how this academy crap experience was it for them? Please share

Unregistered
    WOW!! Are you serious? All that just to become a probation officer? That is crazy. I could understand if this was to become a real cop, but for a PO? I rather joing FHP and go through all that then just be some social worker at a desk.

i want to know from recent graduates how this academy crap experience was it for them? Please share
    I am not a PO, I am a LEO so I cannot tell you much about the Academy for Probation BUT I will tell you this...

If this ^^^^^ is how you see the profession you are about to start, chances are you made a mistake. Probation Officers will have more to say but I doubt you can put a whole career in this field if you are already complaining about how you would rather join FHP instead of being a "social worker at a desk", PO do a bit more than pushing a pen sitting at a desk by the way.
    And if you think that FHP is like heaven, think again, before you waste someone's else time, they have their issues like everybody else, not a great salary, high turnover rate, Troopers are not as supported by their brass as they would like (some Troops are much better than others), many get sick and tired of the missions after a couple of years, too much micro management in some areas...

What do you want exactly? A career in something related to law enforcement and corrections, with a decent salary, but you are already whining about doing push ups, sit ups, running a few days a week, all that while you are being paid? Again I am not a PO so I am not sure what their fitness program consists of, I honestly doubt it is as demanding as a military boot camp, if you have been training you should do okay, show determination that's what every fitness instructor wants to see. You shouldn't be complaining about that imo, even if you aren't "a real cop", being fit and sharp can only benefit you It is probably rare but what if the probationer wants to pick a fight with you, how are you going to handle yourself if you are completely out of shape? Keep in mind that as a PO you are part of the criminal justice system, some bad people see you as a target.

The physical fitness program shouldn't be what makes you join Probation, FHP or anything else. And reading "I rather join FHP..." I am assuming that you would be good with the FHP Academy demanding physical fitness training? So why is this a problem with the Probation Academy?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast