Daily Duties - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daily Duties

Unregistered
    It looks great. This schedule is great because it allows me free time for my true passion: collectibles. I'm able to trade and deal in stamps, coins, Pokemon cards, and comic books. Getting time off is fairly simple too so I was able to attend Momocon this year. Most officers have a side income too. You can also window shop trucks if you're tired or don't feel good and just write down license tags of trucks that drive through the ramp. Most officers do it, especially side station guys. It makes it looks like you do a lot more. My bosses encourage it and it makes your evaluation look a lot better. This job is what you make it!

Unregistered
    When you start out on the interstate get a small note pad and start a tag number collection for when you get a side station. Save a variety of tags, livestock, freight, produce, etc.. You will never have to actually check a truck again. Plus when you get to a side station write down the tags that come through every day that way you can wave them on. Same thing at side stations with coggins for local frequent haulers, makes things easier so you can get back to more important things.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    You get to work, you check off the ragged out patrol cars and hope they have gas, you work the window sitting there talking to every driver and the length will depend on amount of officers - usually 4-6 hours per shift. You sit on that stool in front of the window, 1) what you got, have a good one 2) what you got, pull to the side 3) what you got, let me see your bills. You scan bills of lading hoping that you will hit the jackpot for tax revenue and keep your boss off your back- they post who collects the most tax revenue from bills and will hard time you if your numbers are down. You look in the back of rental trucks, animal trailers and food trailers also possibly stopping a bypassed truck and at the end of the day you clean the station (take out trash and mop floors and clean bathrooms - that are also used by the public). The 1-4 supervisors that supervise 4 or 5 officers will walk over from their offices and tell you everything you do wrong that day. You will catch yourself thinking that they do nothing, but in reality they will critique anything from how you wash the patrol cars to how you open the window to greet truck drivers. You will answer to a corporal (everywhere but Pensacola), sergeant, lieutenant and captain who all supervise just a handful of officers. You will only see the captain and lieutenant on day shift for about 10 hours per week as that's all they work. However the corporal and sergeant will be looking to find fault in your capacities as a way for them to promote as there's no other way to distinguish yourself as a supervisor here. If your relief shows up on time then you go home at the end of 12. Make sure that you cleaned the bathrooms, mopped and took the trash out properly or that corporal who's eying that next sergeant spot will make sure to write you up to show the command staff that he's got what it takes to keep everyone in line. If you've got what it takes and show up to work on time then I can't wait to have you on board.

Wow that is depressing

Unregistered
    Wow that is depressing
    I believe this agency could be a great place to work if we got rid of all of the managers and replaced them with a few leaders It's notable that they send all of the old roadguards to CPM but no one to a leadership training. You'd think someone would notice that you can't push a string

Unregistered
    Clean bathrooms and management encourages you to fraudulently list truck inspections. Dang, no wonder you fellars have so much turnover.

Unregistered

daily duties

You get to work, you check off the ragged out patrol cars and hope they have gas, you work the window sitting there talking to every driver and the length will depend on amount of officers - usually 4-6 hours per shift. You sit on that stool in front of the window, 1) what you got, have a good one 2) what you got, pull to the side 3) what you got, let me see your bills. You scan bills of lading hoping that you will hit the jackpot for tax revenue and keep your boss off your back- they post who collects the most tax revenue from bills and will hard time you if your numbers are down. You look in the back of rental trucks, animal trailers and food trailers also possibly stopping a bypassed truck and at the end of the day you clean the station (take out trash and mop floors and clean bathrooms - that are also used by the public). The 1-4 supervisors that supervise 4 or 5 officers will walk over from their offices and tell you everything you do wrong that day. You will catch yourself thinking that they do nothing, but in reality they will critique anything from how you wash the patrol cars to how you open the window to greet truck drivers. You will answer to a corporal (everywhere but Pensacola), sergeant, lieutenant and captain who all supervise just a handful of officers. You will only see the captain and lieutenant on day shift for about 10 hours per week as that's all they work. However the corporal and sergeant will be looking to find fault in your capacities as a way for them to promote as there's no other way to distinguish yourself as a supervisor here. If your relief shows up on time then you go home at the end of 12. Make sure that you cleaned the bathrooms, mopped and took the trash out properly or that corporal who's eying that next sergeant spot will make sure to write you up to show the command staff that he's got what it takes to keep everyone in line. If you've got what it takes and show up to work on time then I can't wait to have you on board.
    most accurate description of our job that i have read

Unregistered
    Has this changed? You guys still cleaning bathrooms? Has anyone gone to the union about this?

Unregistered
    Nope, we just go to other agencies.

Unregistered
    Has this changed? You guys still cleaning bathrooms? Has anyone gone to the union about this?
    People leave because the worst supervisors are the ones with constant turnover. You’re face to face with your supervisors 12 hours a day. Like the earlier post said there are some that micromanage you the whole shift and really treat their officers bad. There’s a supervisor over in region 2 that really should be in a nut house but he’s buddies with the captain so they cover up for his bad conduct.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12