Ferguson

Thread: Ferguson

Unregistered

Ferguson

Ferguson Riots make complete sense to me!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ferguson Riots make complete sense to me!
    The above message was brought to you by MO chapter of the KKK. There motto, "if we can't understant it, we hate it."

St. Paddy

Six Other Excessive Force Complaints Filed Against Ferguson PD

Yeah, it's the culture. Ferguson PD has 53 police officers. One of their officers is currently in hiding for shooting Mike Brown. But he's hardly the only one.

Washington Post:

In four federal lawsuits, including one that is on appeal, and more than a half-dozen investigations over the past decade, colleagues of Darren Wilson’s have separately contested a variety of allegations, including killing a mentally-ill man with a Taser, pistol-whipping a child, choking and hog-tying a child and beating a man who was later charged with destroying city property because his blood spilled on officers’ clothes.

One officer has faced three internal affairs probes and two lawsuits over claims he violated civil rights and used excessive force while working at a previous police department in the mid-2000s. That department demoted him after finding credible evidence to support one of the complaints, and he subsequently was hired by the Ferguson force.

Police officials from outside Ferguson and plaintiffs’ lawyers say the nature of such cases suggests there is a systemic problem within the Ferguson police force. Department of Justice officials said they are considering a broader probe into whether there is a pattern of using excessive force that routinely violates people’s civil rights.

Ya think? When that number of officers in a small department are accused of the same thing -- excessive force -- I think you can take that to the bank.

Before the Darren Wilson apologists drive by with their supplied talking points, let's clarify one thing. All of the victims who complained were African-American. All but one of the complaints filed was against white officers. In one instance, the complaint was against one of the three the African-American officers employed by the Ferguson police department.

I'd love to know if the demoted officer mentioned above was with the now-disbanded Jennings police department before he switched to Ferguson. Whether or not he was, it's still astonishing that Ferguson hired him after evidence was found supporting the claims against him. At least, it's astonishing if you assume Ferguson wanted fair policing. If, on the other hand, they were looking for cops unafraid to use excessive force to keep citizens in line, maybe it's less astonishing and even predictable.

Now why would the DOJ want investigate such an upstanding department?

Unregistered

‘Not-Racist’ Cop Who Wants to ‘Pull a Ferguson’ on ‘A Bunch of Monkeys’ Resigns

A police officer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana has resigned after he was caught sending a series of racially charged text messages. The texts, provided by a “source within the department” to the WBRZ Investigative unit, included numerous racial slurs, were sent by fifteen-year veteran of the force, Michael Elsbury, who resigned on Thursday.

In one message, Elsbury said, “They are nothing but a bunch of monkeys. The only reason they have this job is the n*gger, n*gger in them.” It is unclear what “job” he is referencing.

Another read, “I wish someone would pull a Ferguson on them and take them out. I hate looking at those African monkeys at work…I enjoy arresting those thugs with their saggy pants.”

After WBRZ’s report on the messages, sent to a female friend, the friend turned her phone over to police. After a two-day investigation, the department placed Elsbury on administrative leave. The following day, he resigned.

Police Chief Carl Dabadie said that it was gut-wrenching to believe that someone had that much hate in them, especially a police officer who is out there enforcing the law every day. It made me sick to my stomach.”

Home • Racism in America • ‘Not-Racist’ Cop Who Wants to ‘Pull a Ferguson’ on ‘A Bunch of Monkeys’ Resigns (Video)
    ‘Not-Racist’ Cop Who Wants to ‘Pull a Ferguson’ on ‘A Bunch of Monkeys’ Resigns (Video)

Posted by: John Prager in Racism in America, Videos September 5, 2014
    Republish Reprint

A police officer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana has resigned after he was caught sending a series of racially charged text messages. The texts, provided by a “source within the department” to the WBRZ Investigative unit, included numerous racial slurs, were sent by fifteen-year veteran of the force, Michael Elsbury, who resigned on Thursday.

In one message, Elsbury said, “They are nothing but a bunch of monkeys. The only reason they have this job is the n*gger, n*gger in them.” It is unclear what “job” he is referencing.

Another read, “I wish someone would pull a Ferguson on them and take them out. I hate looking at those African monkeys at work…I enjoy arresting those thugs with their saggy pants.”

After WBRZ’s report on the messages, sent to a female friend, the friend turned her phone over to police. After a two-day investigation, the department placed Elsbury on administrative leave. The following day, he resigned.

Police Chief Carl Dabadie said that it was gut-wrenching to believe that someone had that much hate in them, especially a police officer who is out there enforcing the law every day. It made me sick to my stomach.”

However, he is sure that this action does not represent the department.

“I believe this is an isolated incident that occurred between the officer and this girl,” Dabadie said. “I do not want this to become a direct reflection on our officers. I have 650 officers, and 649 of them work their butts off every day for the city of Baton Rouge.”

Home • Racism in America • ‘Not-Racist’ Cop Who Wants to ‘Pull a Ferguson’ on ‘A Bunch of Monkeys’ Resigns (Video)
    ‘Not-Racist’ Cop Who Wants to ‘Pull a Ferguson’ on ‘A Bunch of Monkeys’ Resigns (Video)

Posted by: John Prager in Racism in America, Videos September 5, 2014
    Republish Reprint

However, he is sure that this action does not represent the department.

“I believe this is an isolated incident that occurred between the officer and this girl,” Dabadie said. “I do not want this to become a direct reflection on our officers. I have 650 officers, and 649 of them work their butts off every day for the city of Baton Rouge.”

Beginning next year, all officers will be taking additional sensitivity training.

“I want this police department to be a professional, respected police department,” Dabadie said. “And this type of incident that’s happened will not be tolerated, period.”

Every other day you here this from some department head, “I believe this is an isolated incident". So how many times do these incidents have to happen before they are no longer called isolated?

Unregistered

City of Ferguson MO admits to ripping off the poor to fund city

Officials in Ferguson, Missouri say that change is coming to the city’s cops and courts, after criticism that heavy ticketing and high court fees helped create tension between police and residents even before the police shooting of unarmed teen Michael Brown last month.

Just hours ahead of Tuesday night’s City Council meeting, the first since Brown’s death on August 9 and the protests that followed, Council members announced reforms to the town’s controversial court and plans to create a citizen review board to help guide the police department.

“We want to demonstrate to residents that we take their concerns extremely seriously,” said Ferguson Council Member Mark Byrne in a statement.

Ferguson has had some of the heaviest ticketing in St. Louis County, and state data shows that in 2013 Ferguson police pulled over black drivers at a higher per capita rate than white drivers. According to city budget documents, court revenues soared 80 percent between 2011 and 2013, and were expected to yield $2.6 million for the fiscal year ending June 2013, becoming the second-largest source of city money after sales tax.

Ferguson has also been criticized for allegedly unfairly targeting the poor with court fines. The Council said Monday it will reduce or eliminate some fines levied for failure to appear in court, and create a special docket for those struggling to pay outstanding court debt.

Proposed reforms would cap court fine revenue at 15 percent of the city budget. Any additional funds collected would go to special community projects rather than toward general city revenue. More details were expected to be revealed at Tuesday’s Council meeting, which begins at 7 p.m.

“It’s not everything we asked for, but it’s a great start,” said Thomas Harvey of Arch City Defenders, a non-profit legal group that represents defendants in St. Louis County. But he added that the problems addressed in Ferguson can be found elsewhere in the county.

“You can fix this problem in Ferguson,” he said, “but it’s broader than just Ferguson.”

Unregistered

Ferguson Police are Still Refusing to Wear Name Tags

Just how many times should you tell an adult they have to follow the rules before they actually follow the rules?

The Ferguson, Missouri police department requires that officers wear their name badges. Yet, that requirement didn’t stop many of the officers present during the protests that followed Michael Brown’s killing from not wearing nametags and refusing to identify themselves to members of the public when asked. The Department of Justice took notice and on Tuesday, issued a letter reminding the officers that they are, in fact, supposed to be wearing identification as per their department’s regulations.

In the letter, per Reuters, they instructed officers to begin following the requirement immediately:

… the Justice Department said its investigators had observed Ferguson police officers not wearing, or obscuring, their name tags on their uniforms, a violation of the police department’s rules.

“The failure to wear name plates conveys a message to community members that, through anonymity, officers may seek to act with impunity,” the letter said.

Strike one.

Then, in a second later dated from Friday, the DOJ reiterated that identification is required, although the main purpose of the letter was to demand that the police stop wearing “I Am Darren Wilson” solidarity bracelets:

It further was reported to us that some officers affirmatively displaying these bracelets had black tape over their name plates. The practice of not wearing, or obscuring, name plates violates your own department’s policies, which we advised you earlier this week when we requested that you end the practice immediately.

Strike two.

On Sunday, the New York Times reported on an event in Ferguson where the journalists spotted a police officer who wasn’t wearing a name tag. When questioned by a cameraman on his identity, the officer declined and left the area.

Strike three.

That’s three strikes — three continued violations of the regulations and rules. If it were any other job, their bosses would’ve fired them.

It’s important to remember the police perform an important function in our society. Order and structure are necessary for the continued perpetuation of the social organism. However, there are things the police can do to increase the empathy that the population feels towards them. I’d encourage them to take note of everything the Ferguson department is doing and do the opposite.

It won’t make things perfect, but it will be a good first step towards establishing strong ties with their communities.